Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to thicken hedge/privots

The hedge that we have at the edge of our garden is a bit bare at the
bottom, though it reasonably think from around 8-10 inches off the
ground upwards. It's about 4 feet tall and 25 feet long. I would like to
grow it to around 7 feet tall, but what can I do to thicken it at the
bottom. There are gaps large enough for a football to get through.

As I understand it, the higher they grow, the more sparsely leafed they
become at the bottom. Is this right?

Should I buy potted hedge plants and plant them in the gaps to fill
them? Is there some magic spray that will help thicken the hedge?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S R wrote:
The hedge that we have at the edge of our garden is a bit bare at the
bottom, though it reasonably think from around 8-10 inches off the
ground upwards. It's about 4 feet tall and 25 feet long. I would like to
grow it to around 7 feet tall, but what can I do to thicken it at the
bottom. There are gaps large enough for a football to get through.

As I understand it, the higher they grow, the more sparsely leafed they
become at the bottom. Is this right?

Should I buy potted hedge plants and plant them in the gaps to fill
them? Is there some magic spray that will help thicken the hedge?

What shape have you trimmed the hedge?
If you keep it wide at the bottom, and taper it in toward the top, it
tends not to thin out.
If you do what many people do, and have it narrow at the bottom and
wider at the top, it shades itself and thins out. The wider tops are
also more vulnerable to storm damage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S R wrote:
The hedge that we have at the edge of our garden is a bit bare at the
bottom, though it reasonably think from around 8-10 inches off the
ground upwards. It's about 4 feet tall and 25 feet long. I would like
to grow it to around 7 feet tall, but what can I do to thicken it at
the bottom. There are gaps large enough for a football to get through.

As I understand it, the higher they grow, the more sparsely leafed
they become at the bottom. Is this right?

Should I buy potted hedge plants and plant them in the gaps to fill
them? Is there some magic spray that will help thicken the hedge?

Sounds like the initial planting was too sparse. Is it the aesthetics that
concern you or the loss of balls from your garden?

Sounds like the insertion of additional hedging will not be successful if it
is to be privet. Filling with holly, laurel or similar might work if you
fancied the option.

A practical solution could be a roll of chicken wire along the bottom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
S R wrote:
The hedge that we have at the edge of our garden is a bit bare at the
bottom, though it reasonably think from around 8-10 inches off the
ground upwards. It's about 4 feet tall and 25 feet long. I would like
to grow it to around 7 feet tall, but what can I do to thicken it at
the bottom. There are gaps large enough for a football to get through.

As I understand it, the higher they grow, the more sparsely leafed
they become at the bottom. Is this right?

Should I buy potted hedge plants and plant them in the gaps to fill
them? Is there some magic spray that will help thicken the hedge?

Sounds like the initial planting was too sparse. Is it the aesthetics that
concern you or the loss of balls from your garden?

Both. That's why I'd like it tall too.

Sounds like the insertion of additional hedging will not be successful if it
is to be privet. Filling with holly, laurel or similar might work if you
fancied the option.

OK. I'm new to gardening. What age should the plants be when I buy them?
Which ones look nicer

A practical solution could be a roll of chicken wire along the bottom.

Not sure this'll look that nice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"S R" wrote in message
Clot wrote:
S R wrote:
[...]

Only effective way to generate new growth at ground level is very
heavy pruning - you probably need to cut it all down to only 12" or
so. The new growth will be 'bushy' and obviously sprouting lower than
you cut it. It looks very drastic, but it should come back in a season
or two. If it fails to regenerate, then plant laurel - this grows
profusely from a low level.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"S R" wrote in message
Clot wrote:
S R wrote:
[...]

I agree with these comments. I cut back a privet hedge possibly 45 years ago
when it was about 15 years old and five or six foot high to about 12
inches. It took years for it to go back. However, it is an item of topiary
wonder these days having been shaped into a steam engine pulling carriages.

My reason for suggesting laurel or holly was that I thought you would be
wanting a quicker solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:
"S R" wrote in message
Clot wrote:
S R wrote:
[...]

Holly is even slower, as is box.

Drastically reducing a hedge Pete Bull UK diy 15 September 26th 07 11:31 PM
Thanks for hedge trimmer advice [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 18th 06 03:42 PM
hedge trimmer Tony Pacc Home Repair 8 June 15th 06 07:33 AM
Which Hedge Trimmer Deep Thought UK diy 14 May 1st 05 12:29 AM
Hedge trimmer D & J G Home Repair 0 April 30th 05 06:04 PM