Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What to use for grinding down steel

Hello

I need to grind down a piece of steel about 60cm x 6mm which is slightly
proud of a floor I want to tile over.
It only needs to go down 1 or 2 mm. Not practicable to take it out.

I don't have an angle grinder. Presumably with a little patience, ear
defenders, eye protection etc I could use some sort of grinding wheel or
disc on my mains powered drill. Any recommendations please?

Tiles one side of it are expendable and there is a 10 mm drop the other
side.

TIA for any replies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Hello

I need to grind down a piece of steel about 60cm x 6mm which is slightly
proud of a floor I want to tile over.
It only needs to go down 1 or 2 mm. Not practicable to take it out.

I don't have an angle grinder. Presumably with a little patience, ear
defenders, eye protection etc I could use some sort of grinding wheel or
disc on my mains powered drill. Any recommendations please?

Tiles one side of it are expendable and there is a 10 mm drop the other
side.

TIA for any replies.

You *need* an angle grinder. A cheap 4" one will be fine, with a grinding
disc fitted.
It will take an age with a gringing wheel on a drill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man brought next idea :

I don't have an angle grinder. Presumably with a little patience, ear
defenders, eye protection etc I could use some sort of grinding wheel or disc
on my mains powered drill. Any recommendations please?

That would not work very well, would take an age and there are safety
risks of a wheel bursting.

For not much more than £10 you could buy a cheap, small angle grinder
which will easily do the job.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Invisible Man brought next idea :

I don't have an angle grinder. Presumably with a little patience, ear
defenders, eye protection etc I could use some sort of grinding
wheel or disc on my mains powered drill. Any recommendations please?

That would not work very well, would take an age and there are safety
risks of a wheel bursting.

For not much more than £10 you could buy a cheap, small angle grinder
which will easily do the job.

Argos have one for £15

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommendations for a cheap angle grinder. (Was: What to usefor grinding down steel)

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Invisible Man brought next idea :

I don't have an angle grinder. Presumably with a little patience, ear
defenders, eye protection etc I could use some sort of grinding
wheel or disc on my mains powered drill. Any recommendations please?

That would not work very well, would take an age and there are safety
risks of a wheel bursting.

For not much more than £10 you could buy a cheap, small angle grinder
which will easily do the job.

Argos have one for £15

Thanks for the various replies. Having joined in some of the jokes
suggesting angle grinders for just about every question on this NG I
guess I will just have to bite the bullet and finally get sound to
buying what would have saved me a huge amount of time in the past!

Any recommendations. It will not get much use. I have nearly finished
the work sorting out this house ..... until I (or more likely my other
half) find the next thing to do.

No rush. Plenty of time to order on-line.

TIA once again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 8:50 pm, Invisible Man wrote:

Thanks for the various replies. Having joined in some of the jokes
suggesting angle grinders for just about every question on this NG I
guess I will just have to bite the bullet and finally get sound to
buying what would have saved me a huge amount of time in the past!

Any recommendations. It will not get much use.

A grinding wheel held in a drill is likely to fly out of the chuck and
is quite dangerous, as well as being slow.
I bought a small angle grinder and wheel for NZ$9.50 (under 4 GBP)
that seems to work very well.
I used it to finish off grinding this piece of steel:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2mf1ana.jpg
(having used a large angle grinder to take the steel off quickly)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I am not going to reccomend a model. I will however suggest that you get the
9inch and not a 4 1/2inch grinder.

One you get a grinder you will always find uses for it.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Invisible Man wrote:
Any recommendations. It will not get much use. I have nearly finished
the work sorting out this house ..... until I (or more likely my other
half) find the next thing to do.

Well, there are two common sizes. The larger one, 9", is pretty essential
if cutting holes in a wall etc, but is large and heavy. The smaller one
may be more useful for other things. Best to get one of each. ;-)

I have a Lidl 9" one which paid for itself on first use - I was installing
a larger window. I got a diamond blade for it from Screwfix which cost
more than the tool. ;-) But Lidl have had diamond blades in recently at a
much lower price.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Hello

I need to grind down a piece of steel about 60cm x 6mm which is

slightly
proud of a floor I want to tile over.
It only needs to go down 1 or 2 mm. Not practicable to take it out.

I don't have an angle grinder. Presumably with a little patience,

ear
defenders, eye protection etc I could use some sort of grinding

wheel or
disc on my mains powered drill. Any recommendations please?

Tiles one side of it are expendable and there is a 10 mm drop the

other
side.

TIA for any replies.

I'd check what that steel is for before grinding away at it! If ground
floor then is it a conduit protecting something. If first floor or
above is it supporting something? Saves tears later!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Screwfix will do you a "Site" (i.e. made by Makita) branded one for £19
at the moment... (although check the price carefully if you go to a
trade counter - I know of one dodgy looking punter who got charged
double that ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Best buy around at the moment seems to be
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/51570/...RINDER-_-51570

Its made by Makita & badged 'Site' for Screwfix. @ £19 its a good buy. Do
make sure you point out the online price if you buy at a trade counter
though. Take a print of the screen with you.

No discs with it mind.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Invisible Man wrote:
Any recommendations. It will not get much use. I have nearly finished
the work sorting out this house ..... until I (or more likely my other
half) find the next thing to do.

Well, there are two common sizes. The larger one, 9", is pretty essential
if cutting holes in a wall etc, but is large and heavy. The smaller one
may be more useful for other things. Best to get one of each. ;-)

I still find a 9" grinder pretty scary (lots of energy in the dangerous
spinny bits, lots of force needed to hold the tool itself), but for some
things the extra size is essential which is why I have one.

(I suspect regular use would reduce my fear, but that may not be a good
thing).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
Any recommendations. It will not get much use. I have nearly finished
the work sorting out this house ..... until I (or more likely my other
half) find the next thing to do.

Well, there are two common sizes. The larger one, 9", is pretty essential
if cutting holes in a wall etc, but is large and heavy. The smaller one
may be more useful for other things. Best to get one of each. ;-)

I still find a 9" grinder pretty scary (lots of energy in the dangerous
spinny bits, lots of force needed to hold the tool itself), but for some
things the extra size is essential which is why I have one.

(I suspect regular use would reduce my fear, but that may not be a good
thing).

Once you have used a Stihl saw your fears about 9" angle grinders will be
gone forever.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
Well, there are two common sizes. The larger one, 9", is pretty
essential if cutting holes in a wall etc, but is large and heavy. The
smaller one may be more useful for other things. Best to get one of
each. ;-)

I still find a 9" grinder pretty scary (lots of energy in the dangerous
spinny bits, lots of force needed to hold the tool itself), but for some
things the extra size is essential which is why I have one.

Indeed. The Lidl one I bought has soft start which helps. As does a
diamond cutting disc - pretty well no chance of it shattering.

(I suspect regular use would reduce my fear, but that may not be a good
thing).

It's one of those few tools I don't look forward to using. I've even used
my wet tile cutter for bricks, etc, instead. Much slower but safer.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth scribeth thus

news:WKudnf6gwp8Wxr_XnZ2dnUVZ8g2dnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
Invisible Man wrote:
Any recommendations. It will not get much use. I have nearly finished
the work sorting out this house ..... until I (or more likely my other
half) find the next thing to do.

Well, there are two common sizes. The larger one, 9", is pretty essential
if cutting holes in a wall etc, but is large and heavy. The smaller one
may be more useful for other things. Best to get one of each. ;-)

I still find a 9" grinder pretty scary (lots of energy in the dangerous
spinny bits, lots of force needed to hold the tool itself), but for some
things the extra size is essential which is why I have one.

(I suspect regular use would reduce my fear, but that may not be a good
thing).

Once you have used a Stihl saw your fears about 9" angle grinders will be
gone forever.

Adam

Dunno .. you can do just a much damage .....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
Hello

I need to grind down a piece of steel about 60cm x 6mm which is slightly
proud of a floor I want to tile over.
It only needs to go down 1 or 2 mm. Not practicable to take it out.

I don't have an angle grinder. Presumably with a little patience, ear
defenders, eye protection etc I could use some sort of grinding wheel or
disc on my mains powered drill. Any recommendations please?

Tiles one side of it are expendable and there is a 10 mm drop the other
side.

TIA for any replies.

hire a grinder.

Orbuy a carbide block (www.permagrit.com) and lose half a stone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 May 2009 09:50:57 +0100, Invisible Man wrote:
Any recommendations. It will not get much use. I have nearly finished
the work sorting out this house ..... until I (or more likely my other
half) find the next thing to do.

Ask on your local newsgroup to borrow one (or even freecycle list if your
particular admins don't mind 'want to borrow' posts - some don't). I'm
sure some kind soul will loan you one for an hour or two.

Having said that, 4 1/2" ones are cheap and usually come with a grinding
and cutting disc anyway...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com, Jules
scribeth thus
On Sun, 31 May 2009 09:50:57 +0100, Invisible Man wrote:
Any recommendations. It will not get much use. I have nearly finished
the work sorting out this house ..... until I (or more likely my other
half) find the next thing to do.

Ask on your local newsgroup to borrow one (or even freecycle list if your
particular admins don't mind 'want to borrow' posts - some don't). I'm
sure some kind soul will loan you one for an hour or two.

Having said that, 4 1/2" ones are cheap and usually come with a grinding
and cutting disc anyway...

cheers

Jules

Any .. self respecting DIY'er should have a bloody angle grinder
preferably as others have said a 4 and a bit and nine inch ones they
aren't expensive at all..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 May 2009 17:36:25 +0100, tony sayer wrote:
Any .. self respecting DIY'er should have a bloody angle grinder

I did actually manage to take a little chunk out of the tip of one finger
with one once (using a sanding wheel), so the bloody was quite accurate

But yep, they are fantastically useful things to have kicking around (at
least the 4 1/2" ones - I've not actually had need for a 9" one yet,
although I'm sure I will sooner or later)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" writes:

Invisible Man wrote:
Any recommendations. It will not get much use. I have nearly finished
the work sorting out this house ..... until I (or more likely my other
half) find the next thing to do.

No rush. Plenty of time to order on-line.

Best buy around at the moment seems to be
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/51570/...RINDER-_-51570

Its made by Makita & badged 'Site' for Screwfix. @ £19 its a good buy. Do
make sure you point out the online price if you buy at a trade counter
though. Take a print of the screen with you.

Either they made a mistake and have noticed it or they
discontinued the offer between you posting and me looking
:-(. Page currently says £34.99, much to my disappointment.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article ,
ARWadsworth scribeth thus

Invisible Man wrote:
[...]

The angle grinder is the only tool that I wear safey goggles for. Even the 4
1/2 inch one.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

Invisible Man wrote:
Any recommendations. It will not get much use. I have nearly
finished the work sorting out this house ..... until I (or more
likely my other half) find the next thing to do.

No rush. Plenty of time to order on-line.

Best buy around at the moment seems to be
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/51570/...RINDER-_-51570

Its made by Makita & badged 'Site' for Screwfix. @ £19 its a good
buy. Do make sure you point out the online price if you buy at a
trade counter though. Take a print of the screen with you.

Either they made a mistake and have noticed it or they
discontinued the offer between you posting and me looking
:-(. Page currently says £34.99, much to my disappointment.

Hell that was quick! I bought one for £33, John Rumm spotted the £19 deal,
SF refunded me the difference, now its £35 - all since the 14 May!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Jon Fairbairn wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

Invisible Man wrote:
Any recommendations. It will not get much use. I have nearly
finished the work sorting out this house ..... until I (or more
likely my other half) find the next thing to do.

No rush. Plenty of time to order on-line.
Best buy around at the moment seems to be
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/51570/...RINDER-_-51570

Its made by Makita & badged 'Site' for Screwfix. @ £19 its a good
buy. Do make sure you point out the online price if you buy at a
trade counter though. Take a print of the screen with you.

Either they made a mistake and have noticed it or they
discontinued the offer between you posting and me looking
:-(. Page currently says £34.99, much to my disappointment.

Hell that was quick! I bought one for £33, John Rumm spotted the £19 deal,
SF refunded me the difference, now its £35 - all since the 14 May!

Dave

I am the OP. Thanks for your advice. I ordered late Sunday night.
Order shows:

Pack prices 1 £34.99. Qty 1 Total £19.91

£19.91 is what they put on my card for the grinder. It and a few blades
were despatched to me first thing this morning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Jon Fairbairn wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

Invisible Man wrote:
[...]

AOL_Mode
Me too
/AOL_Mode

I tacked on one an order on Saturday, and its now showing in the order
as pack price 34.99 with qty 1 and a total of £19.91...

With some hindsight - might have been worth grabbing 10 to stick on eBay ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any recommendations. It will not get much use. I have nearly finished
the work sorting out this house ..... until I (or more likely my other
half) find the next thing to do.

Advice I have received and followed: By all means buy the cheapest grinder if
you like, but buy decent discs. Having one shatter is scary and dangerous.

Wear eye (and ear) protection. The standard method for removing flecks of metal
from the white of your eyes is a dental drill...

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any recommendations. It will not get much use. I have nearly finished
the work sorting out this house ..... until I (or more likely my other
half) find the next thing to do.

Advice I have received and followed: By all means buy the cheapest grinder if
you like, but buy decent discs. Having one shatter is scary and dangerous.

Wear eye (and ear) protection. The standard method for removing flecks of metal
from the white of your eyes is a dental drill...

Thomas Prufer

Got reasonable disks, ear and eye protection. Wife is a H&S professional
and I spent 30 years around employers liability claims. Pre that I spent
some time in an apprentice training school. Large holes in the ceiling
above a flat bed grinder where an overspeed wheel had exploded.
Made others nervous forgetting to turn on magnetic bed on grinder and
starting lathe having forgotten to remove chuck key - regularly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 09:38:56 +0200, Thomas Prufer wrote:
Advice I have received and followed: By all means buy the cheapest grinder if
you like, but buy decent discs. Having one shatter is scary and dangerous.

I'm not sure where one would go to buy bad discs, TBH - at least on this
side of the Atlantic, even the cheapest ones sold by the sheds hold up
well; the closest I got was having one bite when cutting a bit of scaffold
pole a few weeks ago, which removed a small chunk from the disc but still
didn't cause it to self-destruct.

(makes me wonder if the stories of shattering are down to bad storage at
some point rather than inherent construction weaknesses?)

Wear eye (and ear) protection.

Yes on the former. I'm still reluctant to do the latter unless I have
to (confined space etc.) - I much prefer to be able to hear other
things around me 'just in case', and the noise of an AG in any
reasonable open space isn't that bad.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 June, 13:56, Jules
wrote:

I'm not sure where one would go to buy bad discs, TBH

Make your own, by storing fabric-reinforced cutting disks in a damp
shed...

Disk explosion hazard goes up as the diameter, and is fairly
independent of the wheel rpm (as this is itself constrained by the
diameter and the wheel function / material). So it's the big wheels
that are the ones that really leave holes behind when they go. Using
an angle grinder anyway you should be sufficiently armoured to be
reasonably safe against reasonable wheel accidents.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:56:19 -0500, Jules
wrote:

I'm not sure where one would go to buy bad discs, TBH - at least on this
side of the Atlantic, even the cheapest ones sold by the sheds hold up
well; the closest I got was having one bite when cutting a bit of scaffold
pole a few weeks ago, which removed a small chunk from the disc but still
didn't cause it to self-destruct.

I'm thinking of the five-pack-for-two-Euros special. Perhaps the quality control
is worse on those than on something less likely to be factory rejects.

Thomas Prufer

New grinding wheels for HSS and tool steel grinding Jim in VA Metalworking 5 June 9th 05 04:26 PM
Grinding Wheels [email protected] Woodturning 11 January 25th 05 06:50 PM
Grinding Discs N. Thornton UK diy 6 March 13th 04 10:18 PM
What Grinding Wheel to Use? Mr. Fix-It Metalworking 2 March 10th 04 05:37 PM
grinding wheels Hoyt McKagen Metalworking 1 November 30th 03 04:37 AM