Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar water heating system playing up

In article ,
les wrote:
Seems now to be working correctly temp got up to 71c in tank and has
turned off the pump so got lots of hot water now.
Been talking to the neighbours and they knew the original couple who
had it put in, in 1988 and outwardly they were saying how wonderful
the system was, they were agents for the company but to their friends
they were saying they were not very impressed as the water didnt reach
bath water temp.
WHY DIDNT THEY SAY!!!!

Anyway its fixed now, strange how the company didnt pick this up since
then but if the couple were sayings its ok why should they!!!

It just happens for me that it was ideal testing time as the last few
days the weather has been constant and good and Ive been off work, not
often that happens hey?

Thanks to all who helped me reach this point.

Well done!

But ... Why turn the pump off at 71C? As long as the panel is hotter
than the tank, why not let it run?

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y
les les is offline

On Jun 1, 4:56*pm, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,

les wrote:
[...]

I think thats the differential could probably squeeze a bit more out
of it but happy at that, its bl***dy hot.
Looking forward to my first solar only bath.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 07:44:09 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be les
wrote this:-

Seems now to be working correctly temp got up to 71c in tank and has
turned off the pump so got lots of hot water now.

Enjoy the smug feeling when you use it:-)

It just happens for me that it was ideal testing time as the last few
days the weather has been constant and good and Ive been off work, not
often that happens hey?

Very lucky. At least you didn't end up replacing the pump or buying
a new controller. You also know that solar hot water works when it
is understood a little, which you might want to remember when people
say bad things about it.

After it has been running for a while you might want to fiddle a
little. Using the terminology of
http://www.thesolarshop.eu/acatalog/E1D.mon.en.pdf and depending
on a number of factors a delta T of 8C or a little more may produce
better results than 6. Also what are Tmax and Hysterisis set to? It
sounds like Tmax is set to around 70C, which is generally fine. If
the cylinder has a thermostatic mixing valve then it may be possible
to set it a little higher, though this depends on the cylinder.

I take it that the solid fuel boiler can now be largely turned off
for the summer.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
les les is offline

wrote this:-

[...]

yep hopefully

--
* David Hansen, Edinburgh
*I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 15:56:20 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be Gordon
Henderson wrote this:-

But ... Why turn the pump off at 71C? As long as the panel is hotter
than the tank, why not let it run?

To what temperature? The cylinder could easily reach 100C which
poses two problems:

1) the cylinder may not be able to withstand this sort of
temperature in the long term. 65 - 70C are likely to be maximum
temperature specified by the manufacturer. The insulation on the
cylinder might be the first thing to fail, but the whole cylinder
could fail eventually.

2) unless the cylinder is fitted with a thermostatic mixing valve
(or all outlets are fitted with the same things) then there is a
risk os scalding.

If extra heat is available then the options are to dump the heat,
preferably somewhere useful, or allow the panel to stagnate. How
well the latter works depends on the system design and installation.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh