Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal things in microwave oven

I always thought it was bad to put metal things in a microwave oven, and
indeed on the occasions when something metal did go in ours some vicious
sparking ensued.

Now we have a new one, a so-called combination microwave oven, and it
includes a metal grill rack that can be used when it's microwaving. The
instructions merely warn not to allow metal obejects to touch the sides
when in a microwave mode.

So what has changed to make it OK to put metal in a microwave oven?

Daniele
--
Wanted: TEAC A-2300SX, Akai GX-4000D
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 30/05/2009, D.M. Procida supposed :
I always thought it was bad to put metal things in a microwave oven, and
indeed on the occasions when something metal did go in ours some vicious
sparking ensued.

Now we have a new one, a so-called combination microwave oven, and it
includes a metal grill rack that can be used when it's microwaving. The
instructions merely warn not to allow metal obejects to touch the sides
when in a microwave mode.

So what has changed to make it OK to put metal in a microwave oven?

Nothing at all. The no metal was a general fool proof rule. If the
metal is one single piece and not allowed to touch another piece of
metal or the case, then there is no problem. Put two spoons in with
some contact between them, then you can expect sparks.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 30/05/2009, D.M. Procida supposed :
I always thought it was bad to put metal things in a microwave oven, and
indeed on the occasions when something metal did go in ours some vicious
sparking ensued.

Now we have a new one, a so-called combination microwave oven, and it
includes a metal grill rack that can be used when it's microwaving. The
instructions merely warn not to allow metal obejects to touch the sides
when in a microwave mode.

So what has changed to make it OK to put metal in a microwave oven?

Nothing at all. The no metal was a general fool proof rule. If the
metal is one single piece and not allowed to touch another piece of
metal or the case, then there is no problem. Put two spoons in with
some contact between them, then you can expect sparks.

yup, though its a bit more complex. If you understand the basics of
radio waves etc its easy enough to use metal safely in them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
I always thought it was bad to put metal things in a microwave oven, and
indeed on the occasions when something metal did go in ours some vicious
sparking ensued.

Now we have a new one, a so-called combination microwave oven, and it
includes a metal grill rack that can be used when it's microwaving. The
instructions merely warn not to allow metal obejects to touch the sides
when in a microwave mode.

So what has changed to make it OK to put metal in a microwave oven?

Nothing - putting a metal spoon in a glass of milk has always been an easy
way of heating it up without it quickly 'boiling' and overflowing. And my
microwave has a SS lining. What is a problem is 'silver' leaf etc on a
plate - that will burn out.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
on 30/05/2009, D.M. Procida supposed :
I always thought it was bad to put metal things in a microwave oven, and
indeed on the occasions when something metal did go in ours some vicious
sparking ensued.

Now we have a new one, a so-called combination microwave oven, and it
includes a metal grill rack that can be used when it's microwaving. The
instructions merely warn not to allow metal obejects to touch the sides
when in a microwave mode.

So what has changed to make it OK to put metal in a microwave oven?

Nothing at all. The no metal was a general fool proof rule. If the metal
is one single piece and not allowed to touch another piece of metal or the
case, then there is no problem. Put two spoons in with some contact
between them, then you can expect sparks.

I still have somewhere the cook-book that came with our first
microwave, (one of the first microprocessor controlled ones called
a Plustron).
It recommended putting aluminium foil on poultry legs to shield them.

It also had a metal temperature probe you could stick in the food and
plug the other end into a 1/4" jack socket inside the cooking cavity.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 May 2009 17:27:49 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
I always thought it was bad to put metal things in a microwave oven, and
indeed on the occasions when something metal did go in ours some vicious
sparking ensued.

Now we have a new one, a so-called combination microwave oven, and it
includes a metal grill rack that can be used when it's microwaving. The
instructions merely warn not to allow metal obejects to touch the sides
when in a microwave mode.

So what has changed to make it OK to put metal in a microwave oven?

Nothing - putting a metal spoon in a glass of milk has always been an easy
way of heating it up without it quickly 'boiling' and overflowing. And my
microwave has a SS lining. What is a problem is 'silver' leaf etc on a
plate - that will burn out.

Also a good way to destroy CDs!

SteveW