Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pot for motor

I've managed to source an electric wheelchair motor
which has integrated into it both axles and I guess a slip diff
i.e If I hold one axle, the other spins at twice the rate.

There are 2 sets of wires coming from the motor, 2 brushes I guess.
If I wire in series, the motor turns at half the speed.
Still too quick for my needs though

so, 12v sealed battery 24Ah, is being used to power this motor (no idea
about motors spec)
What Potentiometer could I get to regulate the speed?
(A maplin link or similar would be great)
TIA
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
I've managed to source an electric wheelchair motor
which has integrated into it both axles and I guess a slip diff
i.e If I hold one axle, the other spins at twice the rate.

There are 2 sets of wires coming from the motor, 2 brushes I guess.
If I wire in series, the motor turns at half the speed.
Still too quick for my needs though

so, 12v sealed battery 24Ah, is being used to power this motor (no idea
about motors spec)
What Potentiometer could I get to regulate the speed?
(A maplin link or similar would be great)
TIA

A potentiometer (pot) is not suitable to control such a high power
motor. The dissipation (wasted power) would be far too high and let out
the smoke.
You need a proper controller designed for such motors which in turn will
use a low power pot to control it.
Suggest you look for a controller from an old chair or small golf buggy
or maybe lurk around in railway modeller forums who use such things for
larger ride on electric locos.
Another possibility is controllers for childrens electric bikes,
go-carts etc.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Vass wrote:
[...]

ah ha, wondered as much, thanks Bob
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
I've managed to source an electric wheelchair motor
which has integrated into it both axles and I guess a slip diff
i.e If I hold one axle, the other spins at twice the rate.

There are 2 sets of wires coming from the motor, 2 brushes I guess.
If I wire in series, the motor turns at half the speed.
Still too quick for my needs though

so, 12v sealed battery 24Ah, is being used to power this motor (no idea
about motors spec)
What Potentiometer could I get to regulate the speed?
(A maplin link or similar would be great)
TIA

Don't even think about it. It will be massive.

How many amps does it draw? your best bet is to couple up a model
controller and a 'servo tester'..and put the windings in whatever mode
will give you 'desired top speed' These things are variable switched
regulators, in essence.

Model controllers up to about 100A are available though not that cheap,
and a 'servo tester' is peanuts. 12v is a perfect voltage.

If you want to delve further into this approach, have a look at this site
http://www.rcgroups.com/power-systems-13/

and register to ask questions.

Not a few people with electric wheeled vehicle issues have been sent
away educated and happy ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vass
writes
I've managed to source an electric wheelchair motor
which has integrated into it both axles and I guess a slip diff
i.e If I hold one axle, the other spins at twice the rate.

There are 2 sets of wires coming from the motor, 2 brushes I guess.
If I wire in series, the motor turns at half the speed.
Still too quick for my needs though

so, 12v sealed battery 24Ah, is being used to power this motor (no idea
about motors spec)
What Potentiometer could I get to regulate the speed?
(A maplin link or similar would be great)
TIA

Try a kilowatt electric fire and a jubilee clip

yer standard pertentiomammers would lose their magic smoke faster than
the speed of light If you tried to use it for such an application, they
are normally rated at 1/4W. You can get higher, but what you need is an
electronic control. Without knowing the power of the motor, better
advice is difficult
--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
[...]

what about this?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIGEON-MAGNET-WATERPROOF-SPEED-CONTROLLER-UKS-NO-1_W0QQitemZ180362369883QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sport ingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET?hash=item29fe6f 5b5b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A3|65%3A1| 39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A100
I'm guessing it would attached to a 12V machine so may do the trick?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
[...]

My guess is its a couple of amps only.

Get something sized for the job!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Vass
writes
[...]

A browse here may help

http://www.technobots.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 May 2009 11:18:29 +0100, Vass wrote:

I've managed to source an electric wheelchair motor
which has integrated into it both axles and I guess a slip diff
i.e If I hold one axle, the other spins at twice the rate.

There are 2 sets of wires coming from the motor, 2 brushes I guess.
If I wire in series, the motor turns at half the speed.
Still too quick for my needs though

so, 12v sealed battery 24Ah, is being used to power this motor (no idea
about motors spec)
What Potentiometer could I get to regulate the speed?
(A maplin link or similar would be great)
TIA

Take a look here. Others have told you an 'ordinary' pot won't do the job.
This guy has built his own powerchair. He is a quadraplegic, just so you
know, but seems very knowledgeable about the electrics for wheel chairs.

http://www.burgerman.info/

--
The Wanderer

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt (Mark Twain)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:

Take a look here. Others have told you an 'ordinary' pot won't do the job.
This guy has built his own powerchair. He is a quadraplegic, just so you
know, but seems very knowledgeable about the electrics for wheel chairs.

http://www.burgerman.info/

Aiiieeee!

Burgerman will probably tell him to add nitro.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
I've managed to source an electric wheelchair motor
which has integrated into it both axles and I guess a slip diff
i.e If I hold one axle, the other spins at twice the rate.

There are 2 sets of wires coming from the motor, 2 brushes I guess.
If I wire in series, the motor turns at half the speed.
Still too quick for my needs though

so, 12v sealed battery 24Ah, is being used to power this motor (no idea
about motors spec)
What Potentiometer could I get to regulate the speed?
(A maplin link or similar would be great)
TIA

As said, an electronic controller is the ideal thing if money is no
object. There are also much simpler options if your wish list is
shrunk. 3 that spring to mind a
1. series diode or 3 to lose a little voltage
2. if the battery has its interconnects accessible, and most dont, you
can just connect to whichever tapping gives the speed you want
3. A vibrator can chop the supply to the motor, thus slowing it down.
This has its issues, but is sometimes sufficient.
4. finally you could make your own switched mode variable regulator if
you can do electronics. Not a beginner's project, but not too bad
complexity-wise.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

The Wanderer wrote:

Take a look here. Others have told you an 'ordinary' pot won't do the
job.
This guy has built his own powerchair. He is a quadraplegic, just so you
know, but seems very knowledgeable about the electrics for wheel chairs.

http://www.burgerman.info/

Aiiieeee!

Burgerman will probably tell him to add nitro.

Or a Scorpio V6

His carers both look like goers too ::::-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%