Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default pcb design?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim S wrote:
but then surely you've lost any advantage of wire wrap. And it has a
pretty big downside, the task of following what 'tracks' go where is
almost hopeless. Plus its so easy to miss a connection during
construction. Horrid system!

That's true enough. But you can achieve very high connection densities
in a fairly robust way. Densities that would be very difficult on
veroboard or it's variants (and would take longer to solder all the
wires as well as all the components).

My foray into wire wrapping some years ago said not.

Yes, its not particularly hard to get far higher densities than
wirewrap. I know it was popular at one time, but AIUI it very much
fell out of favour. Gastight connections seem to have been its one
real plus.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clint Sharp
writes
In message , geoff
writes

Can you get hold of an Epson C1000 fuser assy ?

Do you know, I've don't think I've ever worked on an Epson laser that
I can remember, mainly Lexmark/IBM and HP machines, the odd Oki one
here and there... Are you having a problem finding one or is it just
that they're expensive?

I have a C1000 which has stripped some teeth off a couple of cogs on the
fuser unit. Of course, it was cheaper to buy a new printer than a new
fuser unit, although, it was a good printer and I still have it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
I have a C1000 which has stripped some teeth off a couple of cogs on
the fuser unit. Of course, it was cheaper to buy a new printer than a
new fuser unit, although, it was a good printer and I still have it

Hmm, try these guys, they used to be extremely good for printer bits. I
also remember CPC as being Epson authorised spares suppliers.

--
Clint Sharp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clint Sharp
writes
In message , geoff
writes
I have a C1000 which has stripped some teeth off a couple of cogs on
the fuser unit. Of course, it was cheaper to buy a new printer than a
new fuser unit, although, it was a good printer and I still have it

Hmm, try these guys, they used to be extremely good for printer bits. I
also remember CPC as being Epson authorised spares suppliers.

Helps if you add the link eh?

http://expressgrouponline.com/
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clint Sharp
writes
In message , geoff
writes
I have a C1000 which has stripped some teeth off a couple of cogs on
the fuser unit. Of course, it was cheaper to buy a new printer than a
new fuser unit, although, it was a good printer and I still have it

Hmm, try these guys, they used to be extremely good for printer bits. I
also remember CPC as being Epson authorised spares suppliers.

A new fuser unit cost more than the cost of a new C1100

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
Hmm, try these guys, they used to be extremely good for printer bits.
I also remember CPC as being Epson authorised spares suppliers.

A new fuser unit cost more than the cost of a new C1100

Ahh, shame. They *used* to sell bits, even down to the gear wheels but I
guess time moves on...
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
I don't think anyone's mentioned http://www.pcb-pool.com/

They are almost de-facto for one off PCB production, if you want to send
away and have a perfect board in a week. For a hobby board, it's expensive
(30 quid range give or take) but for that you can have a dogs
******** "proper" multlayer board with vias, mask, silkscreen and
everything. Nice if you were making something you wanted to be proud of for
a long time perhaps, or something especially complicated and fiddly.

Also see:
http://www.olimex.com/pcb/index.html
EUR30 for a double sided 100x160mm panel
They ship from Bulgaria, but by most accounts provide good service
(never used them personally - they also do lots of interesting
and cheap microcontroller boards)

eagle PCB for the software - costs nothing for non commercial use. Pretty
professional for light to medium complexity work IMO (I assume you don't
want to put down 6 million pin BGAs?!!!. Easy to make new components
(library parts) and lots of 3rd party libs too.

Last time I used Eagle (about 7 years ago) it was very quirky. They may
have improved this now, I'm not sure, but I found searching their support
newsgroup for help many times was the only way I could figure out how to do
things.

Theo