Mark Atherton

Default Archive material

I am fairly new to newsgroups but find this one particularly interesting.
Only thing is, if I don't access it for a couple of days lots of stuff has
disappeared, any way of retrieving posts from ,say, the past week?
Mark Atherton

Dee

"Mark Atherton" wrote in message
I am fairly new to newsgroups but find this one particularly interesting.
Only thing is, if I don't access it for a couple of days lots of stuff has
disappeared, any way of retrieving posts from ,say, the past week?
Mark Atherton

You could try Google Groups
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...group=uk.d-i-y

AndyP

S Viemeister

Mark Atherton wrote:

I am fairly new to newsgroups but find this one particularly interesting.
Only thing is, if I don't access it for a couple of days lots of stuff has
disappeared, any way of retrieving posts from ,say, the past week?

Go to http://www.google.com/grphp?hl=en and search on uk.d-i-y
Chris Vowles

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:21:51 +0100, Joe
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:17:11 +0100, "Mark Atherton"
wrote:

I am fairly new to newsgroups but find this one particularly interesting.
Only thing is, if I don't access it for a couple of days lots of stuff has
disappeared, any way of retrieving posts from ,say, the past week?
Mark Atherton

best to get away from outlook express and download a free program called
"Free Agent".
have a look at www.forteinc.com for the download links.

do a google search for free+agent+faq and you'll be away.

Yes Agent is good, and google is great for searching past replies,
goto http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=uk.d-i-y " click on the
"search only" in uk.d-i-y button and search away

Chris
Duncan Lees

Mark Atherton wrote:
I am fairly new to newsgroups but find this one particularly interesting.
Only thing is, if I don't access it for a couple of days lots of stuff has
disappeared, any way of retrieving posts from ,say, the past week?
Mark Atherton

It depends on the ISP you are for the news groups. It sounds like you'd
be better off using the web based one from Google which will allow you
to see all the posts since they're all archived:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...group=uk.d-i-y

-Duncan

fred

In article , S Viemeister
writes

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
--
fred
S Viemeister

fred wrote:

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

Yes - I should have suggested that.
Christian McArdle

Only thing is, if I don't access it for a couple of days lots of stuff
has disappeared, any way of retrieving posts from ,say, the past week?

It is up to the news server you are using to determine how long posts stay
around. My server hold 5 months of uk.d-i-y at present. Others I have used
have only kept a couple of days. If you want to look back further, you need
to find another news server (v. difficult, as you are usually locked into
your ISP's) or use Google groups.

Christian.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Mark Atherton wrote:
I am fairly new to newsgroups but find this one particularly
interesting. Only thing is, if I don't access it for a couple of days
lots of stuff has disappeared, any way of retrieving posts from ,say,
the past week?

Since disk space is cheap these days, why not just download the entire
group? It will obviously take some time at first, but not subsequently -
assuming you do it every few days. You can then set your newsreader to
expire articles after a certain time - say 14 days - because if you
haven't read them by then you probably never will. Any particularly
interesting threads or articles can be locked or archived.

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
BillP

"Mark Atherton" wrote in message
I am fairly new to newsgroups but find this one particularly interesting.
Only thing is, if I don't access it for a couple of days lots of stuff has
disappeared, any way of retrieving posts from ,say, the past week?
Mark Atherton

Hi Mark,

If you're using Outlook Express...

click on Tools
click on options
click on Maintenance
you should see...

delete news messages [ x ] days after being down loaded.

set this figure higher

BigWallop

"Dee" wrote in message ...

"Mark Atherton" wrote in message
I am fairly new to newsgroups but find this one particularly

interesting.
Only thing is, if I don't access it for a couple of days lots of stuff

has
disappeared, any way of retrieving posts from ,say, the past week?
Mark Atherton

You could try Google Groups

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...group=uk.d-i-y

AndyP

Or, depending on your news reader software, set the retention time longer in
the options menu. For Outlook Express, this is done from Tools / Options /
Maintenance tab. Then read down until you find the phrase "Delete News
Messages After" and the box will tell you how many days your machine is
keeping them stored.

Gnube

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:33:35 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Only thing is, if I don't access it for a couple of days lots of stuff
has disappeared, any way of retrieving posts from ,say, the past week?

It is up to the news server you are using to determine how long posts stay
around. My server hold 5 months of uk.d-i-y at present. Others I have used
have only kept a couple of days. If you want to look back further, you need
to find another news server (v. difficult, as you are usually locked into
your ISP's) or use Google groups.

This lot hold it for 49 days I think, I use them to supplement my ISP

http://news.individual.net/

Free to sign up, but can take a week or so for the application to be
processed depending on the Uni's staff hols as much as anything I
think. Others get done straight away depending on when they apply.

They are very fast in use too - I use them for that feature alone, and
call in every 10-15 minutes with my own news server round the clock. I
then read using my various clients of choice. So far kept all since
about April or May I think it was. "The Group" just went past 60 odd
thousand posts this week! I suspect it'll quite easily be 100 thousand
plus for the year when that happens. Just done for fun and convenience
really.

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}