Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blackout paint on double glazed window?

Hi,

I have a Velux loft escape window which is bothersome because it lets
in too much light directly above the bed. I fitted a Velux roller
blind in dark blue but even now, too much light comes through.

I'm considering spraying the glass with a matt black paint. Are there
any potential problems with this?

I ask because I researched tinted film and the advice was dont do it
on double glazingg because of differential heat absorbtion between the
two panes of glass and the fact that the film restrained expansion of
the pane on which it was applied.

Any expert opnion would be much appreciated.

VT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vet Tech" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Velux loft escape window which is bothersome because it lets
in too much light directly above the bed. I fitted a Velux roller
blind in dark blue but even now, too much light comes through.

I'm considering spraying the glass with a matt black paint. Are there
any potential problems with this?

I ask because I researched tinted film and the advice was dont do it
on double glazingg because of differential heat absorbtion between the
two panes of glass and the fact that the film restrained expansion of
the pane on which it was applied.

Any expert opnion would be much appreciated.

VT

I would block the window with a thin sheet of ply and held in place with
small clips or magnetic strip - easily removable and 100% opaque.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2009 03:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Vet Tech wrote:

I have a Velux loft escape window which is bothersome because it lets
in too much light directly above the bed. I fitted a Velux roller
blind in dark blue but even now, too much light comes through.

Pretty sure you can get proper blackout roller blinds for velux windows.
The blind is opaque and the edges run in a channel attached to the sides
of frame. Google is your friend...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 May, 11:43, Vet Tech wrote:

I have a Velux loft escape window which is bothersome because it lets
in too much light directly above the bed. I fitted a Velux roller
blind in dark blue but even now, too much light comes through.

Is the blind light proof? Most fabric isn't, real blackout fabric is
deliberately coated to fill the gaps in the weave. Changing the fabric
would seem simpler than the glass.

Otherwise tape or pin up a piece of fabric (or window tint film)
across the frame. So long as it isn't bonded _to_ the glass, the heat
issue isn't a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vet Tech wrote:
Hi,

I have a Velux loft escape window which is bothersome because it lets
in too much light directly above the bed. I fitted a Velux roller
blind in dark blue but even now, too much light comes through.

I'm considering spraying the glass with a matt black paint. Are there
any potential problems with this?

I ask because I researched tinted film and the advice was dont do it
on double glazingg because of differential heat absorbtion between the
two panes of glass and the fact that the film restrained expansion of
the pane on which it was applied.

Any expert opnion would be much appreciated.

VT

Fit a proper blackout blind? e.g.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/odepcx (Velux Shop)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is the blind light proof? *Most fabric isn't, real blackout fabric is
deliberately coated to fill the gaps in the weave. Changing the fabric
would seem simpler than the glass.

Otherwise tape or pin up a piece of fabric (or window tint film)
across the frame. So long as it isn't bonded _to_ the glass, the heat
issue isn't a problem.

It's a roller blind and the fabric doesn't reduce the light much. I
wasn't able to get a Velux blind that was complete blackout . I dont
think they do them.

And being a roller blind there is quite a substantial gap down both
sides.

Any comments on the paint idea?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fit a proper blackout blind? e.g.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/odepcx(Velux Shop)- Hide quoted text -

Dave ,

Thanks for the link but they dont appear to do one for the Velux
conservation escape type window. Its a diffrent design from the
regular velux window. Its very much like an old style metal loft
window.

Vt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2009 03:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Vet Tech wrote:

I have a Velux loft escape window which is bothersome because it lets
in too much light directly above the bed. I fitted a Velux roller
blind in dark blue but even now, too much light comes through.

Pretty sure you can get proper blackout roller blinds for velux windows.
The blind is opaque and the edges run in a channel attached to the sides
of frame. Google is your friend...

and its not much of a challenge to make one.

Better to use white paint than black, lot less thermal trouble. If you
want 100% blackout, white paint then black paint.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Vet Tech" wrote in message

Fit a proper blackout blind? e.g.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/odepcx(Velux Shop)- Hide quoted text -

Dave ,

Thanks for the link but they dont appear to do one for the Velux
conservation escape type window. Its a diffrent design from the
regular velux window. Its very much like an old style metal loft
window.

Vt

Seeing you bothered to ask here, why don't you ask Velux?
Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vet Tech wrote:
Fit a proper blackout blind? e.g.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/odepcx(Velux Shop)- Hide quoted text -

Dave ,

Thanks for the link but they dont appear to do one for the Velux
conservation escape type window. Its a diffrent design from the
regular velux window. Its very much like an old style metal loft
window.

Vt

Well then, you could call your friendly local blind company who will
come round and measure-up and will make you up a made-to-measure
blackout blind, complete with opaque material and ally side/bottom
channels. Not cheap, but surely better than losing the light altogether?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Vet Tech
saying something like:

I'm considering spraying the glass with a matt black paint. Are there
any potential problems with this?

I did exactly that a decade ago with an excess small gable window and
there's been no trouble with it at all.
Indeed, on another one I reversed the process by simply scraping the
paint off with no ill effects.

Double Glazed Window problem John Kelly UK diy 14 January 9th 07 04:49 PM
double glazed window markup sm_jamieson UK diy 15 October 4th 06 02:10 PM
Weight of a double-glazed timber window? Rick Bowlby UK diy 2 October 3rd 06 06:53 PM
Old double-glazed window [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 20th 06 01:31 AM
Old double-glazed window [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 12th 06 02:38 PM