Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Default Roof felt replacement cost

MIL needs the felt on her 20+ year old flat roof replacing. Underlying
timber is apparently sound, just needs felt and bitumen (or whatever the
best way to do it is). What sort of price per square metre should she be
looking at?

Also, of the two people that have had a look already, one says "I don't put
stones on top", the other says "You must have stones on top". Not sure what
they mean by that (the gritty stuff on top?). Is it necessary or for visual
appeal only?

Ta.

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 May, 10:03, Al wrote:
MIL needs the felt on her 20+ year old flat roof replacing. Underlying
timber is apparently sound, just needs felt and bitumen (or whatever the
best way to do it is). What sort of price per square metre should she be
looking at?

Also, of the two people that have had a look already, one says "I don't put
stones on top", the other says "You must have stones on top". Not sure what
they mean by that (the gritty stuff on top?). Is it necessary or for visual
appeal only?

My understanding is that the stones are to absorb heat and delay
cracking of felt and melting/weakening/cracking of bitumen at joints.
Another option is painting the surface of the felt with metallic
silver-coloured reflective paint.

Toom

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

My understanding is that the stones are to absorb heat and delay
cracking of felt and melting/weakening/cracking of bitumen at joints.
Another option is painting the surface of the felt with metallic
silver-coloured reflective paint.

Thanks, the roofers have confirmed that's what the stones are for, and the
one that doesn't use stones says he uses a combination felt with 'metal
threads'.

Whatever, the third one to have a look as quoted the lowest price, complete
with stones, so she'll probably go with him.

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toom Tabard" wrote in message
On 20 May, 10:03, Al wrote:
[...]

But silver (grey) paint reflects less sunlight than white paint? Why not
paint the roof white?

Stones are easily moved, pinched by birds and the like! I'm not convinced
they do a great deal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 May, 10:03, Al wrote:
[...]

its funny what you can sell people

Stones are easily moved, pinched by birds and the like! I'm not convinced
they do a great deal. Providing shade, with air moving between them to carry away absorbed heat, much reduces the thermal cycling of the felt.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also, of the two people that have had a look already, one says "I don't put
stones on top", the other says "You must have stones on top".

One might have been looking at using one of the rubber membrane
materials (EPDM) which I don't think need a stone layer (and in fact
might be damaged by them)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

On 20 May, 22:09, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
Also, of the two people that have had a look already, one says "I don't put
stones on top", the other says "You must have stones on top".

One might have been looking at using one of the rubber membrane
materials (EPDM) which I don't think need a stone layer (and in fact
might be damaged by them)

With roofing felt go for one with polyester carrier as opposed to
cheaper fibre (rag as was called) or glass fibre. Those with mineral
granules cover give underlying "felt" protection from the elements and
is available in choice of colurs normally; grey/slate-brown/red-green.
On a shed you would normally just apply 1 layer; eg
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Polyester-Ro...et/invt/164026

Best way to do up an old felt flat roof? [email protected] UK diy 2 May 9th 08 08:45 PM
Flat roof leaking -replacement cost [email protected] UK diy 2 October 26th 07 09:47 PM
Shed roof felt blown off, timber roof wet, should I... Marshal Anderson UK diy 2 December 8th 06 10:09 AM
Felt roof shingles Paul Boakes UK diy 3 September 26th 05 03:05 PM
No roof felt...is this normal? James Amor UK diy 16 January 25th 05 09:49 AM