Eno Case

Default Best Preparation for plastered Bathroom walls?

I had my bathroom walls replastered a fortnight ago.

Before painting them, I'd like to make sure the walls are best prepared -
the bathroom tends to get quite steamy, so I'd like to reduce the chance of
the painted walls starting to flake.

Can anyone recommend the best preparation process - (e.g. i've heard
elsewhere about PVA etc)

Secondly, does anyone know if these kitchen/bathroom-specific emulsions you
can buy are actually any different from 'normal' emulsions? Do they really
have moisture-resisting properties?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Eno

chris French

In message , Eno Case
writes
I had my bathroom walls replastered a fortnight ago.

Before painting them, I'd like to make sure the walls are best prepared -
the bathroom tends to get quite steamy, so I'd like to reduce the chance of
the painted walls starting to flake.

Can anyone recommend the best preparation process - (e.g. i've heard
elsewhere about PVA etc)

I just used diluted (about 10-29% water) emulsion to seal the walls.

Secondly, does anyone know if these kitchen/bathroom-specific emulsions you
can buy are actually any different from 'normal' emulsions? Do they really
have moisture-resisting properties?

I don't really think they are much/any different really. Certainly Max
Bone didn't seem to think so.

I painted our bathroom walls with a standard good quality Vinyl Silk
Emulsion about 3 years ago. We have had no problems with flaking. Then
again we do have ventilation in the bathroom (humidistat operated
ceiling fan), and don't suffer from much condensation, mould etc.
either.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Installing toilet in internal bathroom David UK diy 15 October 13th 03 09:36 PM
Drier in Bathroom Fredrick Skoog UK diy 6 September 27th 03 07:40 PM
Painting a bathroom Jeff UK diy 5 September 25th 03 05:49 PM
Under-floor heating for a bathroom - hot water or electric, and how to control? BigWallop UK diy 13 July 8th 03 08:46 PM