Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiling directly onto plasterboard?

Can wall tiles be attached directly to plasterboard that has been sealed
with dilute PVA? Or does the plasterboard need a skim of plaster first?

--
David in Normandy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Can wall tiles be attached directly to plasterboard that has been sealed
with dilute PVA? Or does the plasterboard need a skim of plaster first?

Straight onto untreated plasterboard worked fine for my bathroom a few years
ago.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
Can wall tiles be attached directly to plasterboard that has been sealed
with dilute PVA? Or does the plasterboard need a skim of plaster first?

Direct to plasterboard is fine.

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
Can wall tiles be attached directly to plasterboard that has been sealed
with dilute PVA? Or does the plasterboard need a skim of plaster first?

You dont even need to seal the board first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy coughed up some electrons that declared:

Can wall tiles be attached directly to plasterboard that has been sealed
with dilute PVA? Or does the plasterboard need a skim of plaster first?

Yes - but beware if leaks if this is a bath or shower area.

Seem lots of wall that are tiled direct - but the one in our shower dropped
its grout (it does help if the "tiler" uses tile spaces, not tries to grout
hairline gaps between abutted tiles). The result was total plasterboard
disintegration, in which case using a waterproof board is a better idea.

Once again - Crest Homes are crap (my rented house), Barratts are ********
(tautology) - anymore?

Everywhere else, like kitchen and basin surrounds have been fine.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

Please ecuse typing - keyboard knackered.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
Can wall tiles be attached directly to plasterboard that has been
sealed with dilute PVA? Or does the plasterboard need a skim of
plaster first?

Yes - but beware if leaks if this is a bath or shower area.

Seem lots of wall that are tiled direct - but the one in our shower
dropped its grout (it does help if the "tiler" uses tile spaces, not
tries to grout hairline gaps between abutted tiles). The result was
total plasterboard disintegration, in which case using a waterproof
board is a better idea.

If water is getting past the tiles for whatever reason it might end up
anywhere even with waterproof board on the walls.

Once again - Crest Homes are crap (my rented house), Barratts are
******** (tautology) - anymore?

A mate has a Barretts house - about 25 years old. 'Twas the show house too.
All the windows have had to be replacing. And the external doors. Best was
the tiling in the kitchen round the boiler - you couldn't remove the
boiler casing for servicing. And then there was the plain chipboard floors
everywhere - on the ground floor laid over polystyrene sheet. Just the
thing to resist water spills in the kitchen. ;-)

Everywhere else, like kitchen and basin surrounds have been fine.

--
*I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message

SNIP

Once again - Crest Homes are crap (my rented house), Barratts are ********
(tautology) - anymore?

Yes.

Bellway are bell ends.
Wimpy are w*nk*rs.
Redrow are rot.
Persimmon are parsimonious. (Bite me)

Tiling on plasterboard walls query, plus tap question Ed[_8_] UK diy 7 September 1st 08 06:27 PM
Fixing plasterboard before tiling David Hearn UK diy 4 December 30th 05 01:01 AM
Tiling over plasterboard Andy UK diy 5 November 21st 05 05:43 PM
tiling onto plasterboard? tarquinlinbin UK diy 7 March 2nd 05 04:51 PM
Sealing Plasterboard Prior to Tiling TheScullster UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 08:14 PM