Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix Prices

Keep an eye on Screwfix prices on the web site, in the catalogue and what
you are charged at the trade counters.

On Thursday I bought a Site angle grinder for £31.31 at my local trade
counter, not planned, spur of the moment purchase. John Rumm alerted me to
the web site price of £19.91.

I checked the 'all my purchases' feature on the SF website where it
confirmed the price I'd paid as £19.91. I have checked the paper invoice
and they charged me £31.31.

I use that 'all my purchases' feature a lot to check what I've paid for
stuff - seems it can't be trusted.

Screwfix have done the right thing in offering me a voucher for the £11.40
difference, but one wonders how often this happens without the customer
spotting it.

SF reply as follows;
"I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment with the price you were
charged at our Trade Counter and I fully appreciate the inconvenience
caused. In regards to the online lower price, I can confirm that
Screwfix.com currently reflects up-to-date prices and products and therefore
from time to time there will be variations between different catalogues and
the website.

The Trade Counters will automatically default their pricing to the main
catalogue 97 unless a different suffix is given, which is why you were
charged the higher price, unfortunately, the Trade Counters cannot use the
online catalogue pricing when processing orders. On this occasion only as a
gesture of goodwill, I have arranged for you to receive a £11.40 voucher for
the difference in price, which I trust, resolves the matter for you. In
future, I would advise you to use the main catalogue when pricing orders to
collect in our Trade Counters or alternatively check any leaflets that will
be held in the Trade Counter itself".
--------------------------------------

I shall certainly be checking the invoices more carefully in future. The
refund was offered 'on this occasion only as a gesture of goodwill'.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 10:40, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
[...]

I bought 40 metres of 22mm copper tube from them.The cat price was
nearly double the website price.Pointed it out to the guy before
purchasing and he used the website price.
I think it`s a bad attitude on their part to only refund you as a
gesture of goodwill and wonder how that would go with the OFT if it
still exists.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I checked the 'all my purchases' feature on the SF website where it
confirmed the price I'd paid as £19.91. I have checked the paper
invoice and they charged me £31.31.
I use that 'all my purchases' feature a lot to check what I've paid
for stuff - seems it can't be trusted.

Bit of a liability if you're relying on that to re-charge customers.

Ferzacerly.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I checked the 'all my purchases' feature on the SF website where it
confirmed the price I'd paid as �19.91. I have checked the paper
invoice and they charged me �31.31.
I use that 'all my purchases' feature a lot to check what I've paid
for stuff - seems it can't be trusted.

Bit of a liability if you're relying on that to re-charge customers.

Ferzacerly.

The All purchases page does say this:

"Prices are current catalogue prices. They may have changed since you
last ordered the item"

But it makes the facility pretty silly except as a memory jogger of
products. And a confuser of prices. Also, from what you have reported,
the price shown for your angle grinder was the current *online* price,
not the catalogue price as claimed.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Bit of a liability if you're relying on that to re-charge
customers. Ferzacerly.

Even worse if customers are checking that to see what you should be
charging them ;-)

They can't access 'my' purchases thankfully, but I never specify where I've
bought stuff and remove any packaging that could identify the source.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmmm - this may explain why SF have never implemented a "pick the
stuff online, and collect at your local trade counter" system.

If they did (and even more so if I could check what's in stock at my
local trade counter) - I would use it often - but SF would be forced
to offer online discounts at trade counter too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
RubberBiker wrote:
Hmmm - this may explain why SF have never implemented a "pick the
stuff online, and collect at your local trade counter" system.

If they did (and even more so if I could check what's in stock at my
local trade counter) - I would use it often - but SF would be forced
to offer online discounts at trade counter too.

Toolstation do this - you can build up a basket online while seeing stock
levels at the local trade counter. Then, instead of checking out you print
the basket out and the counter can use the code at the top to bring up the
order on their system.

It's fantastic and in the last couple of months several hundred quids worth
of orders have gone to my local toolstation over screwfix.

Another thing I've noticed - recently the screwfix prices are going up.
To counter this, they appear to be regularly sending me 10% discount
vouchers. Wish they would just stop buggering with the pricing. grrr.

Still, the 10 quid off of 20 quid toolstation order vouchers are handy :-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 17, 12:19*pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I checked the 'all my purchases' feature on the SF website where it
confirmed the price I'd paid as £19.91. *I have checked the paper
invoice and they charged me £31.31.
I use that 'all my purchases' feature a lot to check what I've paid
for stuff - seems it can't be trusted.

Bit of a liability if you're relying on that to re-charge customers.

Ferzacerly.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

The 'all my purchases' feature is there as a kind of mini catalogue
for quick reordering, I guess mainly for people who repeatedly order
the same things. It wouldn't be much use therefore for it to show the
price you last paid, so it shows the current price. Also, I think it
only lists each item once, so if you'd bought a particular item
several times at different prices, it wouldn't be accurate anyway. The
'Order History' is the place to check the prices paid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:40:05 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

[...]

On the subject of Screwfix and angle grinders, check this one out
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12131/...e-Grinder-240V
Bet that takes some handling. Only problem is that I can't find any
115" discs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Wow! A 9' 6" angle grinder! You could rule the world with one of those!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I had a similar experience last week. I bought a Ryobi 4-piece kit [#97727]
(as only £28 more than just the 2 batteries & charger I was going to buy)
after seeing on the website for £95.42. While waiting for it and a load of
other stuff to arrive at the collection counter I noticed they'd charged me
the 'old' price of £127.22.
I queried it, and they refunded the original purchase and re-charged at the
lower price. Result.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:40:05 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:
I shall certainly be checking the invoices more carefully in future. The
refund was offered 'on this occasion only as a gesture of goodwill'.

Maybe the clue's in the company name? :-)

Screwfix tut Jim S UK diy 23 November 19th 07 06:49 PM
Thank you to Screwfix Bob Martin UK diy 0 March 2nd 07 02:47 PM
screwfix or b&q ? in2minds UK diy 5 October 27th 04 06:04 PM
Screwfix Peter G UK diy 1 January 9th 04 10:44 PM
Ferm Prices and Screwfix. Eric Dockum UK diy 10 October 20th 03 09:33 AM