Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete breakers?

I'm in the market for a concrete breaker. I've hired 30kg machines in the
past and found them effective, if a bit on the big side to manoeuvre around.
I now have a few jobs lined up over the summer which will make it more cost
effective to buy one instead. But which size?

Ideally I'd prefer something a bit smaller than the 30kg machines. I've
found several 15kg ones on ebay (typically around £100 new for a
small-brand, or more for a used Makita etc). 110v is OK as I have a 3.3Kw
transformer already.

Screwfix have an Erbauer 18kg machine with £50 off at £145 at the moment:
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/22968...ker?source=aw#

Does anyone have any experience of these size machines? Are they OK? Jobs
planned include breaking up an old garage and conservatory base, probably
around 6" thick at the most each.

Budget is £200 max.

Thanks in advance...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AlanD" wrote in message
[...]

I bought (£50) an ex hire Kango 950 which seemed to do a fantastic job
for years until I got a JCB Beaver hydraulic breaker which knocked
spots off the Kango. I then got a three tool road compressor with a
pneumatic breaker, which eats concrete like there's no tomorrow!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 15, 9:58*am, "AlanD" wrote:
Screwfix have an Erbauer 18kg machine with £50 off at £145 at the moment:https://www.screwfix.com/prods/22968...E09W15-_-C-_-E....

Does anyone have any experience of these size machines? Are they OK? Jobs
planned include breaking up an old garage and conservatory base, probably
around 6" thick at the most each.

Yes it will do the job. Mine is identical but was was bought from
Makro a few quid cheaper than that. I used it to break up a thick
concrete driveway into manageable chunks that could be put into a
crushing machine. Use the pointy end it and just sinks effortlessly
into thick concrete and causes big slabs to fracture off which you can
then sub divide. Think hot poker into icecream!

If you can reuse the concrete as a sub base for something else I'd
highly recommend hiring a crushing machine which could process your
garage base in a matter of a few hours to 20mm chunks. Works out much
cheaper than skips and bringing in new stuff. Also much fun and annoys
the hell out of neighbourhood with the strange noises!
This was the one I hired; http://www.tcp.eu.com/news/category/mini-crusher/
If you hire one, post back for some tips.

Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Starling" wrote in message
On May 15, 9:58 am, "AlanD" wrote:
[...]

Dave,
thanks for the info, some concrete will be reused as hardcore for another
project, the remainder will be trailered to the local dump.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"AlanD" wrote in message
[...]

Andrew,
Hmmm, road compressor version. I like overkill but that's probably OTT for
now!
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AlanD wrote:

I'm in the market for a concrete breaker. I've hired 30kg machines in the
past and found them effective, if a bit on the big side to manoeuvre around.
I now have a few jobs lined up over the summer which will make it more cost
effective to buy one instead. But which size?

Ideally I'd prefer something a bit smaller than the 30kg machines. I've
found several 15kg ones on ebay (typically around £100 new for a
small-brand, or more for a used Makita etc). 110v is OK as I have a 3.3Kw
transformer already.

Screwfix have an Erbauer 18kg machine with £50 off at £145 at the moment:
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/22968...ker?source=aw#

Does anyone have any experience of these size machines? Are they OK? Jobs
planned include breaking up an old garage and conservatory base, probably
around 6" thick at the most each.

I needed one in a hurry once when a drain I wanted to tap into turned
out to be buried in something significantly stronger and thinker than
the "weak mix" that traditionally used to surround drains! The 2kg SDS
was making no impression!

I bought something similar to your SF one linked from Makro. It was
branded Fairline - but looked very similar. Cost about £115 iirc.
Actually did a surprisingly good job. It was comparable to similar sized
hydraulic packs I have used in the past.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AlanD" wrote in message
I'm in the market for a concrete breaker. I've hired 30kg machines in the
past and found them effective, if a bit on the big side to manoeuvre
around. I now have a few jobs lined up over the summer which will make it
more cost effective to buy one instead. But which size?

Ideally I'd prefer something a bit smaller than the 30kg machines. I've
found several 15kg ones on ebay (typically around £100 new for a
small-brand, or more for a used Makita etc). 110v is OK as I have a 3.3Kw
transformer already.

Screwfix have an Erbauer 18kg machine with £50 off at £145 at the moment:
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/22968...ker?source=aw#

Does anyone have any experience of these size machines? Are they OK? Jobs
planned include breaking up an old garage and conservatory base, probably
around 6" thick at the most each.

See if U can pick up a
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...aspx?pid=11304

or hire one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AlanD" wrote in message

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"AlanD" wrote in message
[...]

Well the excuse for the road compressor was to drive the Hodge Clemco
sand blaster pot as I had some steel trusses to clean in the barn.
It's proved very handy, driving not only the concrete breaker, but
also a Grundomat mole to put pipes and wires underground. A chap needs
his toys y'know G

AWEM