Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hinges - Upside Down??

Hi all

Bit of a numpty Q here .
Is there a right way up for hinges?
I ask because this morning as I closed the dining room door I heard a sound
like a small key dropping on the floor.
I had no reason to think that a key had fallen from anywhere so re-opened
the door to investigate.
As the door swivelled on the top hinge it became clear that the pin had
dropped out of the bottom hinge .
This got me thinking that maybe there is a right-way-up for hinges to
prevent this.
Having used reasonable quality brass butt hinges I was not right chuffed to
be fitting a replacement after only ~3 years (doors are mega-light panel
type so no real load).

So, is there a correct orientation for these, or was I just unlucky with
this one?

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

As the door swivelled on the top hinge it became clear that the pin had
dropped out of the bottom hinge .
This got me thinking that maybe there is a right-way-up for hinges to
prevent this.

The pins on my hinges all have a domed head at the top, there's no way
they'd fall out by themselves though, it's enough of a job knocking them
out when I want ot decorate the doors (but very handy all the same).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns coughed up some electrons that declared:

TheScullster wrote:

As the door swivelled on the top hinge it became clear that the pin had
dropped out of the bottom hinge .
This got me thinking that maybe there is a right-way-up for hinges to
prevent this.

The pins on my hinges all have a domed head at the top, there's no way
they'd fall out by themselves though, it's enough of a job knocking them
out when I want ot decorate the doors (but very handy all the same).

Mine walk out over time (walking upwards).

I can see this might have happened to the OP until finally the pin dropped
out.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

As the door swivelled on the top hinge it became clear that the pin had
dropped out of the bottom hinge .
This got me thinking that maybe there is a right-way-up for hinges to
prevent this.

The pins on my hinges all have a domed head at the top, there's no way
they'd fall out by themselves though, it's enough of a job knocking them
out when I want ot decorate the doors (but very handy all the same).

Mine walk out over time (walking upwards).

I can see this might have happened to the OP until finally the pin dropped
out.

Some hinges have pins which are intended to easily lift out.
I bought some in Wickes not that long ago. Obviously, if you
fit one upside down, it's going to fall out eventually.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote

Some hinges have pins which are intended to easily lift out.
I bought some in Wickes not that long ago. Obviously, if you
fit one upside down, it's going to fall out eventually.

No these pins do not have a domed head or other feature at one end only.
The pin is the length of the pivoting interlocking hinge body only IYSWIM.
The pin that fell (or worked its way) out without warning was plain except
for a flat notch close to one end. As the outside diameter of the pin did
not appear to be any different at the notch, it is difficult to see how this
notch should have retained it in place.

Just thought I might have missed something obvious wrt fitting these things.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote

Some hinges have pins which are intended to easily lift out.
I bought some in Wickes not that long ago. Obviously, if you
fit one upside down, it's going to fall out eventually.

No these pins do not have a domed head or other feature at one end only.
The pin is the length of the pivoting interlocking hinge body only IYSWIM.
The pin that fell (or worked its way) out without warning was plain except
for a flat notch close to one end. As the outside diameter of the pin did
not appear to be any different at the notch, it is difficult to see how
this notch should have retained it in place.

Just thought I might have missed something obvious wrt fitting these
things.

Phil

No pins in my hinges,all ball bearings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
[...]

Phil,

These are probably loose-pin hinges that have been fitted upside down -
simply turn them the correct way.

This type of hinge is very useful when you have restricted spaces and
openings that cause problems with furniture removal etc and simply by
tapping them out, the door can be easily removed and replaced when needed.

All my internal doors are fitted with these.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 May 2009 13:42:10 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote

Some hinges have pins which are intended to easily lift out.
I bought some in Wickes not that long ago. Obviously, if you
fit one upside down, it's going to fall out eventually.

No these pins do not have a domed head or other feature at one end only.

Ours are domed (domes maybe 3/4" dia, shafts 1/4") and all ancient
enough that they've worn and would easily fall out if put on upside down.

As someone mentioned, even if your (non-domed) ones are the right way up,
one of the pins may be prone to slowly walking itself out the top of the
hinge over time, perhaps due to some form of slight hinge misalignment.
Maybe try a little oil / grease as an easy test and see if that stops it
from happening again.

The pin is the length of the pivoting interlocking hinge body only
IYSWIM. The pin that fell (or worked its way) out without warning was
plain except for a flat notch close to one end.

I wonder if that notch is intended to help guide the pin into the
hinge plates when it's first put in, rather than any kind of
retaining device?

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster submitted this idea :
So, is there a correct orientation for these, or was I just unlucky with this
one?

We have several of this type. On the lighter doors it is obvious which
way up the hinge has to be fitted, because the two ends are different
and all of these were the right way round. On the heavier duty hinges
there is no obvious top to the pin, they are the same at each end with
the pin in place. Several of these have had the pin fall out and have
needed to be turned up side down to make them stay put.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)