Old August 25th 05, 01:57 AM
The Pet Human

Default Upside-down paint

I have just finished repainting the exterior woodwork on my house. I'm
no expert, but I was very pleased with the result of all my preparation
and sanding and painiting.

When I do this sort of work, I usally seek advice from my neighbour, a
retired man who is a fount of useful advice on all things practical.
This time, he tells me that I have put the paint on upside down ... but
apparently it'll be okay if I do another coat.

I don't mind doing another coat, but I don't want to make this mistake
again. How do I know whether I'm painting the right way up?

Old August 25th 05, 03:05 AM
John Rumm

The Pet Human wrote:

I don't mind doing another coat, but I don't want to make this mistake
again. How do I know whether I'm painting the right way up?

It is an easy mistake to make. There is however an easy fix. Simply
leave the paint as it is, and turn the house upside down instead. That
way the paint will end up correctly aligned.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old August 25th 05, 07:57 AM
Rusty

"The Pet Human" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just finished repainting the exterior woodwork on my house. I'm
no expert, but I was very pleased with the result of all my preparation
and sanding and painiting.

When I do this sort of work, I usally seek advice from my neighbour, a
retired man who is a fount of useful advice on all things practical.
This time, he tells me that I have put the paint on upside down ... but
apparently it'll be okay if I do another coat.

What puzzles me is when somebody gets into a scrap or an explosion on BBC2
Thunderbirds, which happens far too much IMHO, instead of seeing a lot of
scratched paint and dented woodwork, they get bruises and blood. Wierd

rusty

Old August 25th 05, 09:07 AM
Graham Dean

"The Pet Human" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just finished repainting the exterior woodwork on my house. I'm
no expert, but I was very pleased with the result of all my preparation
and sanding and painiting.

When I do this sort of work, I usally seek advice from my neighbour, a
retired man who is a fount of useful advice on all things practical.
This time, he tells me that I have put the paint on upside down ... but
apparently it'll be okay if I do another coat.

I don't mind doing another coat, but I don't want to make this mistake
again. How do I know whether I'm painting the right way up?

If you hold the brush in your left hand you'll be fine.

Graham

Ps. Unless you're left-handed obviously!

Old August 25th 05, 09:16 AM
david lang

John Rumm wrote:

It is an easy mistake to make. There is however an easy fix. Simply
leave the paint as it is, and turn the house upside down instead. That
way the paint will end up correctly aligned.

Much easier - move the house to Australia.

Dave

Old August 25th 05, 10:12 AM
ben

The Pet Human wrote:
I have just finished repainting the exterior woodwork on my house.
I'm no expert, but I was very pleased with the result of all my
preparation and sanding and painiting.

When I do this sort of work, I usally seek advice from my neighbour, a
retired man who is a fount of useful advice on all things practical.
This time, he tells me that I have put the paint on upside down ...
but apparently it'll be okay if I do another coat.

I don't mind doing another coat, but I don't want to make this mistake
again. How do I know whether I'm painting the right way up?

Your supposed to turn the tin upside down thats why they made non-drip
paint. :-P

Old August 25th 05, 12:39 PM
Mary Fisher

"The Pet Human" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just finished repainting the exterior woodwork on my house. I'm
no expert, but I was very pleased with the result of all my preparation
and sanding and painiting.

When I do this sort of work, I usally seek advice from my neighbour, a
retired man who is a fount of useful advice on all things practical.
This time, he tells me that I have put the paint on upside down ... but
apparently it'll be okay if I do another coat.

I don't mind doing another coat, but I don't want to make this mistake
again. How do I know whether I'm painting the right way up?

Don't worry about it, not many people will notice and if they comment you
can say that it was deliberate, that you don't like being boringly
conventional.

Mary

Old August 25th 05, 06:16 PM
Broadback

Mary Fisher wrote:

"The Pet Human" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have just finished repainting the exterior woodwork on my house. I'm
no expert, but I was very pleased with the result of all my preparation
and sanding and painiting.

When I do this sort of work, I usally seek advice from my neighbour, a
retired man who is a fount of useful advice on all things practical.
This time, he tells me that I have put the paint on upside down ... but
apparently it'll be okay if I do another coat.

I don't mind doing another coat, but I don't want to make this mistake
again. How do I know whether I'm painting the right way up?

Don't worry about it, not many people will notice and if they comment you
can say that it was deliberate, that you don't like being boringly
conventional.

Mary

Look at it this way, it is only upside down for 12 hours of the days,
then 'tis right side up! So just think of it as night time paint.
Old August 25th 05, 08:19 PM
rrh

Is it striped paint? If so, upside down is fine. What you have to worry
about is painting it on sideways. Makes your house look short and fat.

Old August 25th 05, 09:33 PM
Mary Fisher

"Broadback" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

Oh yes - I wish I'd thought of that!

Mind you, unless hedoes it with the light on he wouldn't be able to see it

Mary

Mary

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
Rust Paint and Standard Paint. ACH Metalworking 2 July 4th 05 03:48 PM
Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 07:28 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM