Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

Default Soldering problem

In article ,
Dave Osborne wrote:

[gigantic snip]
===

Comments & flames (no pun intended!) welcome.
Cheers, Rumble

Almost a wiki in itself. But I still don't get the 'swirly/cyclone' bit

John

--
John Mulrooney

Glass, china and reputations are easily cracked, but never well mended.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JTM wrote:
Still the case at Leclerc and Mr Bricolage, but moving more towards PER
(Poly Ethylene Raccord - I think) mostly 12 & 16mm and screw on fittings.

Oh, and still selling imperial sized connectors as well.

Good fun

You aren't kidding! It took me two hours at bricomarche working out
which fittings / sizes etc I need. As for the range of stop taps Jesus H
Christ! Especially since I am joining what I think is a 3/4 male through
to 16 mm stop taps etc. Blooming nightmare. Literally hundreds of
different fittings to choose from.
--
David in Normandy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JTM wrote:
In article ,
Dave Osborne wrote:

[gigantic snip]
===

Comments & flames (no pun intended!) welcome.
Cheers, Rumble

Almost a wiki in itself. But I still don't get the 'swirly/cyclone' bit

John

OK, with a conventional burner, when you offer up the blow-lamp to a
cylindrical pipe, the flame front is bifurcated. If you think of (say) a
horizontal pipe as having 4 "sides" (i.e. top, bottom, front, back) and
you're applying the blow-lamp to the front, then the front gets the
brunt of the heat, the top and bottom somewhat less and the back less still.

A swirly/cyclone burner applies a cyclonic effect to the gases which
make up the flame and when you apply the heat to the front of the pipe
(in the example above), the flame wraps around the pipe heating it
pretty evenly all-round. This means that you don't have to wave the lamp
about to heat the pipe evenly.

see here for pictures:

http://www.lister.co.uk/Uploads/prod...sievertcat.pdf

Page 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
Dave Osborne wrote:

OK, with a conventional burner, when you offer up the blow-lamp to a
cylindrical pipe, the flame front is bifurcated. If you think of (say) a
horizontal pipe as having 4 "sides" (i.e. top, bottom, front, back) and
you're applying the blow-lamp to the front, then the front gets the
brunt of the heat, the top and bottom somewhat less and the back less still.

A swirly/cyclone burner applies a cyclonic effect to the gases which
make up the flame and when you apply the heat to the front of the pipe
(in the example above), the flame wraps around the pipe heating it
pretty evenly all-round. This means that you don't have to wave the lamp
about to heat the pipe evenly.

see here for pictures:

http://www.lister.co.uk/Uploads/prod...sievertcat.pdf

Page 10

Thanks for the link.
The range of stuff for the pro just boggles my mind. I know I'd never use
them, but I'd like to have /afford some of them

John

--
John Mulrooney

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out