Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How abou this - plaster proofing back boxes

Hi,

As I'm laying my electrical boxes "dry", with conduit, I wanted to make a
plate to prevent the box getting filled with mud, and something that I
could just plaster over, then trim out later.

Here is it:

https://photos.dionic.net/v/public/b..._0010.jpg.html

Cut from the lid of 100mm maxi trunking (10quid, 2m from B&Q). The ribs in
the lid give rigidity along with the thickness of the plastic.

Insert, and hold in with short M3.5 screws...

Befo

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0020.jpg.html
http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0019.jpg.html

After:
http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0028.jpg.html
http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0027.jpg.html

It's Ok some of the conduit is visible, that's only the undercoat - the
whole wall will be skimmed, so hopefully should look like this:

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0002.jpg.html

BTW - the bends in the conduit in the upper socket photo (needed due to
wooden obstructions above) were done with a hot air gun. It doesn;t bend
well and does its best to flatten even more, but with care and a little
post bend finger squeezing, it's possible to maintain a clear cableway.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Hi,

As I'm laying my electrical boxes "dry", with conduit, I wanted to make a
plate to prevent the box getting filled with mud, and something that I
could just plaster over, then trim out later.

Here is it:

https://photos.dionic.net/v/public/b..._0010.jpg.html

Cut from the lid of 100mm maxi trunking (10quid, 2m from B&Q). The ribs in
the lid give rigidity along with the thickness of the plastic.

Insert, and hold in with short M3.5 screws...

Nice one. I might make a few for my friend who is a plasterer.

Of course if you had gone to plastering school you would realise that what
you are doing is wrong and that you are supposed to fill the boxes with
plaster:-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Hi,

As I'm laying my electrical boxes "dry", with conduit, I wanted to make a
plate to prevent the box getting filled with mud, and something that I
could just plaster over, then trim out later.

Here is it:

https://photos.dionic.net/v/public/b..._0010.jpg.html

You need to take the 's' out of the 'https' if you're having problems
viewing this image.

i.e.

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0010.jpg.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 May, 14:30, Dave Osborne wrote:
Tim S wrote:
Hi,

As I'm laying my electrical boxes "dry", with conduit, I wanted to make a
plate to prevent the box getting filled with mud, and something that I
could just plaster over, then trim out later.

Here is it:

https://photos.dionic.net/v/public/b..._0010.jpg.html

You need to take the 's' out of the 'https' if you're having problems
viewing this image.

i.e.

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0010.jpg.html

Funnily enough, I am having my house plastered at the moment and the
plasterer goes around the boxes (and any holes - e.g. downlights) then
uses a knife to cut the edges perfectly clean whilst the cement/
plaster is still wet. I have never seen anyone do that before but it
looks great. He has a very keen eye for details.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:
Hi,

As I'm laying my electrical boxes "dry", with conduit, I wanted to make a
plate to prevent the box getting filled with mud, and something that I
could just plaster over, then trim out later.

Here is it:

https://photos.dionic.net/v/public/b..._0010.jpg.html

You need to take the 's' out of the 'https' if you're having problems
viewing this image.

i.e.

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0010.jpg.html

Oops - I usually do. That one slipped by. Faster without the https -
Gallery2 (the photo database PHP software I use) is quick and easy, but a
tad slow and SSL doesn't help it.

Must look at some page caching or something...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim S
writes
Hi,

As I'm laying my electrical boxes "dry", with conduit, I wanted to make a
plate to prevent the box getting filled with mud, and something that I
could just plaster over, then trim out later.

Stuff with newspaper til just under the surface & cover with gaffa tape
.. . . . . . . NEXT
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

As I'm laying my electrical boxes "dry", with conduit, I wanted to make a
plate to prevent the box getting filled with mud, and something that I
could just plaster over, then trim out later.

Not knocking what you've done, but I'm sure I've seen commercial
versions of these on Screwfix or Toolstation or somewhere. I remember
thinking at the time, good idea, but that they would only be of likely
interest to dually-trained sparks and spreaders (ie, probably diy'ers only!)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

As I'm laying my electrical boxes "dry", with conduit, I wanted to make a
plate to prevent the box getting filled with mud, and something that I
could just plaster over, then trim out later.

Not knocking what you've done, but I'm sure I've seen commercial
versions of these on Screwfix or Toolstation or somewhere. I remember
thinking at the time, good idea, but that they would only be of likely
interest to dually-trained sparks and spreaders (ie, probably diy'ers
only!)

David

Not come across them. I've seen Yoozy boxes - they clip under and around the
accessory if already fitted to lift it clear and protect the cables from Mr
Mudd's razor sharp trowell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote

Hi,

As I'm laying my electrical boxes "dry", with conduit, I wanted to make a
plate to prevent the box getting filled with mud, and something that I
could just plaster over, then trim out later.

Here is it:

https://photos.dionic.net/v/public/b..._0010.jpg.html

Cut from the lid of 100mm maxi trunking (10quid, 2m from B&Q). The ribs in
the lid give rigidity along with the thickness of the plastic.

Insert, and hold in with short M3.5 screws...

But then the plaster skim goes into the slots and around the screw heads.
Prefer to cover the screw lugs with insulation tape then cover the whole box
with card.
Guess if you were doing this on a regular basis, a re-usable card
alternative would be better.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Tim S" wrote

Hi,

As I'm laying my electrical boxes "dry", with conduit, I wanted to make a
plate to prevent the box getting filled with mud, and something that I
could just plaster over, then trim out later.

Here is it:

https://photos.dionic.net/v/public/b..._0010.jpg.html

Cut from the lid of 100mm maxi trunking (10quid, 2m from B&Q). The ribs
in the lid give rigidity along with the thickness of the plastic.

Insert, and hold in with short M3.5 screws...

But then the plaster skim goes into the slots and around the screw heads.
Prefer to cover the screw lugs with insulation tape then cover the whole
box with card.
Guess if you were doing this on a regular basis, a re-usable card
alternative would be better.

Phil

I though about that, but it turns out to be a non problem. I take the plates
out when the plaster's just gone off and the screwdriver easily displaces
the plaster in the slots.

I do wash the plastic off though under the tap or it gets manked up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim S
writes

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0019.jpg.html

Why are the boxes staggered like that? Looks a little odd.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article , Tim S
writes

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0019.jpg.html

Why are the boxes staggered like that? Looks a little odd.

Yes - it is odd.

But it's a "standard" I came up with - allows conduit entry from the top to
both boxes (me not want mains (bottom) going through the comms box (top)
and also allows side entry for mains for horizontals. I using the standard
all over the house.

It looks better where the comms box is a single (the majority case), but as
I forsee that box feeding a telly, I want 4 euromodule capacity (= 2 gang
box).

In that case, I could have put them side by side, but having a "standard" I
tend to stop thinking and just do - it's easier overall... Especially as I
do the marking up for cutting with some laminated paper templates with
holes in and a can of spray paint - can't be bothered to make more
templates

Cheers
Tim