Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring requirements for hob, oven and extractor please?

I have a gas hob which requires mains for the ignition circuit and
above that an extractor canopy which also obviously requires a mains
connection. Then there is a gas oven which again requires a mains
connection but is separate from the hob and extractor, about 4 feet
away. How do I wire these? Do they each need a separate FCU or can
they all be fed off one?
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 May 2009 06:57:41 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be
wrote this:-

I have a gas hob which requires mains for the ignition circuit and
above that an extractor canopy which also obviously requires a mains
connection. Then there is a gas oven which again requires a mains
connection but is separate from the hob and extractor, about 4 feet
away. How do I wire these? Do they each need a separate FCU or can
they all be fed off one?

A search engine will pull up detailed answers to these questions.

The short version is that if you have an existing cooker circuit
then there are minor advantages in using that. Provided there is a
switch within 2m of the hob and the oven that is fine. You can then
use fused connection units to connect the individual appliances.
More than one cord should not be connected to these and it is
unlikely that the clamping arrangements in each appliance is
suitable for feeding another appliance.

Alternatively if there is no cooker circuit then the appliances can
be connected to an existing ring main. How you do this depends on
the layout. Individual unfused spurs leading to a switched fused
outlet are probably the best bet, but depending on the layout it may
be more advantageous to run a fused spur and then take the
appliances from that via suitable switches/cord outlets.

If you have detailed questions and are unable to use a search engine
then borrow/buy a copy of the book at
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLGUIDE.html which will
explain.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I have a gas hob which requires mains for the ignition circuit and
above that an extractor canopy which also obviously requires a mains
connection.

I forgot to add. If you are in England or Wales beware of John
Prescott.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Thanks for that. Could you advise on one thing though. I will probably
just feed an ordinary dual gang socket from a single FCU and plug the
appliances into that. What I don't know though is how to hide the flex
cable for the cooker hood as it makes its way down to the socket which
will be under the work surface. Can it be run behind channel, which
will be hidden behind the tiles, or do the regs require it to be run
in conduit?

Any advice appreciated
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I have a gas hob which requires mains for the ignition circuit and
above that an extractor canopy which also obviously requires a mains
connection.

I forgot to add. If you are in England or Wales beware of John
Prescott.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP
prevents me

Thanks for that. Could you advise on one thing though. I will probably
just feed an ordinary dual gang socket from a single FCU and plug the
appliances into that. What I don't know though is how to hide the flex
cable for the cooker hood as it makes its way down to the socket which
will be under the work surface. Can it be run behind channel, which
will be hidden behind the tiles, or do the regs require it to be run
in conduit?

Any advice appreciated

Why not install a single socket high on the wall (where you might be able to
hide it behind the cooker hood's cowl) - with the cables chased into the
wall (and tiled over, if desired).

AIUI, under curent regs, all kitchen fixed wiring needs either to be
protected by an RCD, or needs to be buried at least 50mm behind the surface
of the wall.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Oven extractor hood attracts dust jim UK diy 3 July 31st 07 07:21 AM
chimney oven extractor tiscali UK diy 5 March 8th 07 08:15 PM
Extractor fan wiring Dave UK diy 0 March 8th 07 07:24 PM
Extension: wiring requirements Brian Sharrock UK diy 6 September 27th 06 03:43 PM
wiring an extractor fan igloo UK diy 11 January 9th 04 04:18 PM