Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default kingfisher breaking screwfix?

Bah!
just been looking for a pack of multimonti's to finish a project -
screwfix only sell in packs of 50?!?!
their "old school" no-name shield anchors are now twice the price of
toolstation?!?!?!?

what gives?

Are kingfisher trying to restore B+Q's sales figures by effectively
knackering screwfix for DIYers with smaller quantity requirements?

I also note that screwfix prices are much increased and some product
areas have reduced ranges and more "premium" brand names
appearingevery catalogue - with matchin premium prices...

Bah

Come on Toolstation open a branch nearer me!

jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 May 2009 03:26:05 -0700, jim wrote:

Are kingfisher trying to restore B+Q's sales figures by effectively
knackering screwfix for DIYers with smaller quantity requirements?

I also note that screwfix prices are much increased and some product
areas have reduced ranges and more "premium" brand names appearingevery
catalogue - with matchin premium prices...

I've noticed that too. I don't go there much any more.

Come on Toolstation open a branch nearer me!

There's one just opened in Gloucester - which is nice (for me ;-)...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are kingfisher trying to restore B+Q's sales figures by effectively
knackering screwfix for DIYers with smaller quantity requirements?

Quite possibly. At trade counters, domestic buyers more often have
questions or want to see items along with smaller overall purchase
value. Whilst trade buyers are more likely to reel off order numbers
and spend more - whilst be less tolerant of long waits

I also note that screwfix prices are much increased and some product
areas have reduced ranges and more "premium" brand names
appearingevery catalogue - with matchin premium prices...

Again that could very well be driven by trade buyers that send stuff
back if it isn't up to scratch - and Screwfix bear the cost because
they're big spenders.

Screwfix did do a trade card a while back with privileged ordering -
fizzled out - but I can see them making efforts to separate trade and
diy customers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RubberBiker" wrote in message

[...]

I only occasionally use Screwfix as I don't regularly do DIY projects. I
feel some retail customers are very unfair and expect to be shown items
whilst there are well prepared customers waiting and fuming! Time is money
for some people and retail customers should appreciate the fact or the
prices will creep up as it gets pressurised into being more customer
friendly to the small buyers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 May 2009 04:43:51 -0700, RubberBiker wrote:

Screwfix did do a trade card a while back with privileged ordering -
fizzled out - but I can see them making efforts to separate trade and
diy customers.

They're doing it now to some extent with Plumbfix: if you're gas
registered you automatically get the PFX catalogue. You phone in orders
(so far you can't order from their website), either for delivery (min £100
ex VAT) or pickup at a trade counter. The stock is mostly a subset of
Screwfix's but at reduced prices, with some stuff you can't get from
Screwfix itself. The reduced prices generally beat Toolstation's.

Apparently the new (second) Screwfix trade counter in Reading is going to
have a dedicated Plumbfix counter added where you can order in the shop,
as at Screwfix proper.

I imagine they'll roll out Sparkfix and Buildfix etc in due course.
Presumably the CORGI/Gas Safe registration membership list was an easy way
of selecting their privileged customer base.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus
and Pop Psychologists are from Uranus

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
Bah!
just been looking for a pack of multimonti's to finish a project -
screwfix only sell in packs of 50?!?!

I thought they only ever did packs of 50 or 100? Certainly in the 6mm size
anyway.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought they only ever did packs of 50 or 100? *

I think the larger sizes came in packs of 25, but that was the
manufacturers package size rather than a Screwfix policy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH coughed up some electrons that declared:

I imagine they'll roll out Sparkfix

They did - it's Electricfix - http://www.electricfix.com/index.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 May 2009 13:30:48 +0100, John wrote:

I only occasionally use Screwfix as I don't regularly do DIY projects. I
feel some retail customers are very unfair and expect to be shown items
whilst there are well prepared customers waiting and fuming! Time is
money for some people and retail customers should appreciate the fact or
the prices will creep up as it gets pressurised into being more customer
friendly to the small buyers.

I only want to see things where the picture and/or description misses out
something fairly fundamental - which does happen quite often.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 May 2009 13:27:27 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

On Mon, 04 May 2009 13:30:48 +0100, John wrote:

I only occasionally use Screwfix as I don't regularly do DIY projects. I
feel some retail customers are very unfair and expect to be shown items
whilst there are well prepared customers waiting and fuming! Time is
money for some people and retail customers should appreciate the fact or
the prices will creep up as it gets pressurised into being more customer
friendly to the small buyers.

I only want to see things where the picture and/or description misses out
something fairly fundamental - which does happen quite often.

Same here - I wanted a combi square, about the same price as in B&Q but
B&Q's is shiny (why do they do that?), so had to see it at Screwfix as the
pic. wasn't good enough.
Every other time I've had a prepared order slip, so the only delay is if
something's out of stock.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 May 2009 14:26:50 +0100, Tim S wrote:

YAPH coughed up some electrons that declared:

I imagine they'll roll out Sparkfix

They did - it's Electricfix - http://www.electricfix.com/index.html

It's OK, all this splitting up, but if a sparky wants some electrical items
and some building ones, he might have to queue twice (unless it's just a
filter).
I wanted a waste trap (HepvO), went to a PlumbCenter ½ a mile away and was
told to go to a Waste(?)Center several miles away. At least I had a chance
to see the bikes outside the Ace cafe!
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 May 2009 03:26:05 -0700 (PDT), jim
wrote:

Bah!
just been looking for a pack of multimonti's to finish a project -
screwfix only sell in packs of 50?!?!
their "old school" no-name shield anchors are now twice the price of
toolstation?!?!?!?

what gives?

Are kingfisher trying to restore B+Q's sales figures by effectively
knackering screwfix for DIYers with smaller quantity requirements?

I also note that screwfix prices are much increased and some product
areas have reduced ranges and more "premium" brand names
appearingevery catalogue - with matchin premium prices...

Bah

This does seem the typical B&Q approach. Go look for a £3 wire brush
for an anglegrinder and find a branded one at £23. Sad, I liked
Screwfix, but I do have a Toolstation within a days travel by camel.

Come on Toolstation open a branch nearer me!

jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May 2009 12:37:25 GMT, YAPH wrote:

Apparently the new (second) Screwfix trade counter in Reading

Second! When are we going to get the first in Carlisle... The
distribution of SF counters is very patchy. They can't use the excuse
that there is a B&Q in Carlisle as the SF counters on Tyneside are also
close to B&Qs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 May 2009 15:22:13 +0100, PeterC wrote:

It's OK, all this splitting up, but if a sparky wants some electrical
items and some building ones, he might have to queue twice (unless it's
just a filter).

At present, ordering by phone, one can add Screwfix-general items to one's
plumbix catalogue items and pick them up together in one go.

The counter droids still have to fill in a paper form in quill pen if it's
going on one's trade account through sigh!

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Never believe anyone who claims to be a liar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May 2009 12:37:25 GMT, YAPH had this to say:

[...]

From their outset, Plumbfix have been sending me catalogues/fliers.
I've no connection with the gas trade, have never asked for an
account, nor (AFAICR) have I ever ordered gassy-type things from
Screwfix; the few gas things I've bought have usually been from B&Q.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 May 2009 16:24:10 +0100 (BST)
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On 4 May 2009 12:37:25 GMT, YAPH wrote:

Apparently the new (second) Screwfix trade counter in Reading

Second! When are we going to get the first in Carlisle... The
distribution of SF counters is very patchy. They can't use the excuse
that there is a B&Q in Carlisle as the SF counters on Tyneside are also
close to B&Qs.

There's only thee and me 'ere, though. And I'm retired.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
jim wrote:

Are kingfisher trying to restore B+Q's sales figures by effectively
knackering screwfix for DIYers with smaller quantity requirements?

Here in Folkestone we have a B&Q (not a warehouse one - just normal) right
next to a Screwfix that opened about the same time. I've also noticed
screwfix getting less and less competitive on price...

Come on Toolstation open a branch nearer me!

Handily, Toolstation opened shortly after screwfix (and just around the
corner as well!). Excellent.

I particularly like the way you can check the local toolstation trade counter
stock from the website and then make up an order and it gives you an order
code. Pop along, they type in the order code and get your order. Excellent
and something screwfix is really missing now :-/

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:
On Mon, 04 May 2009 03:26:05 -0700, jim wrote:

Are kingfisher trying to restore B+Q's sales figures by effectively
knackering screwfix for DIYers with smaller quantity requirements?

I also note that screwfix prices are much increased and some product
areas have reduced ranges and more "premium" brand names
appearingevery catalogue - with matchin premium prices...

I've noticed that too. I don't go there much any more.

Yerbut, SF have never been cheaper on everything. You have to keep a close
eye on everybodys prices. Lot of plumbing stuff is cheaper in Wickes, a lot
isn't. TLC tend to be cheaper than SF or Wickes, but not always.
Toolstation seem on average very cheap, but I've bought stuff from them
which is crap.

Homobase is of course universally expensive :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 May 2009 17:55:20 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:

Second! When are we going to get the first in Carlisle...

There's only thee and me 'ere, though. And I'm retired.

True enough but when you look at where there are SF counters there is
massive lump of the country that doesn't have access. Like all of the west
coast pretty much from Lancaster to Glasgow!

I'm far more likely to visit SF in Carlisle, as I go in that dierction at
least once/week, than I am to make a special trip to one of the half dozen
or so Tyne/Tees area.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 May 2009 17:50:23 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

From their outset, Plumbfix have been sending me catalogues/fliers.
I've no connection with the gas trade, have never asked for an
account, nor (AFAICR) have I ever ordered gassy-type things from
Screwfix; the few gas things I've bought have usually been from B&Q.

Curious. TBH I just assumed they'd got the names from CORGI (as then was).

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Hypnotising Hypnotists Can Be Tricky

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message et
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

True enough but when you look at where there are SF counters there is
massive lump of the country that doesn't have access. Like all of the west
coast pretty much from Lancaster to Glasgow!

I'm far more likely to visit SF in Carlisle, as I go in that dierction at
least once/week, than I am to make a special trip to one of the half dozen
or so Tyne/Tees area.

Much more astonishing, look at the gap Norrth of Glasgow -- relatively
small towns like Perth and Stirling merit one. Edinburgh has several.
But nothing whatsoever North of Aberdeen. But why none in Inverness
where the potential market from more than 100 miles around is enormous
and compettion much more limited?

Replacement for Potterton Kingfisher Andrew Mawson UK diy 7 March 23rd 07 03:51 PM
Old Potterton Kingfisher II john smile UK diy 2 December 26th 06 01:33 PM
Problem with Poterton Kingfisher MF CF 60 Boiler Scott UK diy 5 December 31st 05 05:59 PM
Kingfisher / B&Q feeling the pinch?... :::Jerry:::: UK diy 43 September 20th 05 02:26 PM
Kingfisher boiler weight Rod UK diy 9 July 31st 05 01:17 PM