Rod

Default Kingfisher boiler weight

In the near future we will (probably) be getting our old boiler replaced.

The quotes do not include disposal of the old boiler - and I am thinking of
taking it to the dump myself. However, I have no idea how heavy a Potterton
Kingfisher II boiler (around 16 KW) is! Is it feasible for me to lift it
into (and out of) my car boot by myself?

--
Rod
Andy Hall

On 30 Jul 2005 21:31:18 GMT, Rod wrote:

In the near future we will (probably) be getting our old boiler replaced.

The quotes do not include disposal of the old boiler - and I am thinking of
taking it to the dump myself. However, I have no idea how heavy a Potterton
Kingfisher II boiler (around 16 KW) is! Is it feasible for me to lift it
into (and out of) my car boot by myself?

Two people probably. It will be fairly heavy (40-50kg I would think)
and awkward.

You could take it apart and perhaps lift the heat exchanger on its
own, but probably not worth it.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Rod

Andy Hall wrote in
:

On 30 Jul 2005 21:31:18 GMT, Rod wrote:

In the near future we will (probably) be getting our old boiler
replaced.

The quotes do not include disposal of the old boiler - and I am
thinking of taking it to the dump myself. However, I have no idea how
heavy a Potterton Kingfisher II boiler (around 16 KW) is! Is it
feasible for me to lift it into (and out of) my car boot by myself?

Two people probably. It will be fairly heavy (40-50kg I would think)
and awkward.

You could take it apart and perhaps lift the heat exchanger on its
own, but probably not worth it.

I hope I can get it into the car as quickly as I can get a response on
uk.d-i-y! Thanks Andy - just what I needed.

--
Rod
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rod wrote:
The quotes do not include disposal of the old boiler - and I am thinking
of taking it to the dump myself. However, I have no idea how heavy a
Potterton Kingfisher II boiler (around 16 KW) is! Is it feasible for me
to lift it into (and out of) my car boot by myself?

Isn't the heat exchanger several units held together with threaded rods?
Remove these and each section is then easily lifted. Be sure to make
provision to catch any water leaking when you disassemble - old towels etc.

If it's working ok, might be worth selling the gas valve on Ebay.

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Rod wrote:
The quotes do not include disposal of the old boiler - and I am thinking
of taking it to the dump myself. However, I have no idea how heavy a
Potterton Kingfisher II boiler (around 16 KW) is! Is it feasible for me
to lift it into (and out of) my car boot by myself?

Isn't the heat exchanger several units held together with threaded rods?
Remove these and each section is then easily lifted. Be sure to make
provision to catch any water leaking when you disassemble - old towels etc.

Rather than water, refer to it as black permanent ink.
That gives a more accurate impression of its side effects.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Isn't the heat exchanger several units held together with threaded
rods? Remove these and each section is then easily lifted. Be sure to
make provision to catch any water leaking when you disassemble - old
towels etc.

Rather than water, refer to it as black permanent ink. That gives a more
accurate impression of its side effects.

Yup - although if the correct inhibitor has been used and replaced
regularly it won't be quite as bad. ;-)

--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Rod

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Isn't the heat exchanger several units held together with threaded
rods? Remove these and each section is then easily lifted. Be sure to
make provision to catch any water leaking when you disassemble - old
towels etc.

Rather than water, refer to it as black permanent ink. That gives a more
accurate impression of its side effects.

Yup - although if the correct inhibitor has been used and replaced
regularly it won't be quite as bad. ;-)

I'm in luck here. It can go straight from the kitchen (vinyl flooring) and
out through the garden. (Car might suffer a bit but it has dark grey
carpets!) Yes - inhibitor used for several years, though not all its life.

--
Rod
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rod wrote:
Rather than water, refer to it as black permanent ink. That gives a
more accurate impression of its side effects.

Yup - although if the correct inhibitor has been used and replaced
regularly it won't be quite as bad. ;-)

I'm in luck here. It can go straight from the kitchen (vinyl flooring)
and out through the garden. (Car might suffer a bit but it has dark
grey carpets!)

Put the bits in rubbish sacks?

Yes - inhibitor used for several years, though not all
its life.

Heh heh - then the old Kingfisher was still working ok? Mine's pushing 30
years old. ;-)

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Isn't the heat exchanger several units held together with threaded
rods? Remove these and each section is then easily lifted. Be sure to
make provision to catch any water leaking when you disassemble - old
towels etc.

Rather than water, refer to it as black permanent ink. That gives a more
accurate impression of its side effects.

Yup - although if the correct inhibitor has been used and replaced
regularly it won't be quite as bad. ;-)

Doesn't matter how clean the water in the boiler was when it
was running, but when you take an old multi-section cast iron
heat exchanger apart, lots of black permanent ink suddenly
appears, I can assure you ;-).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Rather than water, refer to it as black permanent ink. That gives a
more accurate impression of its side effects.

Yup - although if the correct inhibitor has been used and replaced
regularly it won't be quite as bad. ;-)

Doesn't matter how clean the water in the boiler was when it
was running, but when you take an old multi-section cast iron
heat exchanger apart, lots of black permanent ink suddenly
appears, I can assure you ;-).

Heh heh. I do remember some when I replaced the O rings.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Non-modulating condensing boilers? Egremont UK diy 34 July 22nd 05 07:02 PM
Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
Noisy banging boiler what is the cause? Tim UK diy 8 November 3rd 04 09:36 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 7th 03 11:26 PM