Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 1/4" x 20 with knob?

Hi All,

I've got a 60Ah MK Gel battery that has short threaded sockets on the
top rather than the more typical round posts or lugs.

On the datasheet it suggests the threads are F 1/4" x 20 and I'm not
sure if that is sufficient to describe the thread, without the
'battery' association anyway? ie, Are they also UNC-3A?

Because the connection will be temporary I thought of using something
like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Knob-Bolt-4-20/dp/B0002NVZM2

... even though that is a hand - nut onto a bolt I could easily fit the
bolt into the hand - nut to turn it into a hand - bolt. ;-)

But it seems that particular Co don't sell them any more (or not on
Amazon anyway).

So, anyone know where I could get such a thing please (ideally in the
UK). I have found a few suppliers who can do metric but not imperial.

Like he
http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=998

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
[...]

I assume you dont have a welder. Why not take your bolt, drill a hole
for the head in a lump of wood, and glue it in. Use a wooden knob if
you want it pretty.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
[...]

RS Components e.g. 210-1543
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 May 2009 12:44:23 +0100, Dave Osborne
wrote:

210-154

Can you search their database with their part number (I can't)).

Would you be so kind as to provide a link or tell me what section it's
under please?

I've found entries like

"2508284552
Knob; Star; Thermoset; 4-Prong Knob; Brass; 1/4-20; 0.375 in.; 1.250
in" (and in their Extended range so subject to £10 P&P).

Is that the sort of thing as I can't see a picture nor match up that
number?

http://tinyurl.com/c3mn3o

Or am I in the wrong place (not used RS for about 20 years and if I am
on the right web site probably won't for another 20).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

210-154

Can you search their database with their part number (I can't)).

Would you be so kind as to provide a link or tell me what section it's
under please?

I've found entries like

"2508284552
Knob; Star; Thermoset; 4-Prong Knob; Brass; 1/4-20; 0.375 in.; 1.250
in" (and in their Extended range so subject to £10 P&P).

Is that the sort of thing as I can't see a picture nor match up that
number?

http://tinyurl.com/c3mn3o

Or am I in the wrong place (not used RS for about 20 years and if I am
on the right web site probably won't for another 20).

Cheers, T i m

Use the right part number Tim
210-1543

I can search the catalogue without logging in so you should be able to.

http://tinyurl.com/cbjog5

But they are sold in 10s and are £3.27 plus vat each so unless you have
mates who need them as well then it is an expensive solution.
Mind you if you are into boating then everything is expensive.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

[...]

OK - here are a couple of ideas.

1/4" x 20 could be either UNC or Whitworth. I guess that either would do for
your purposes. The purests will tell you that the threadforms are slightly
different - but I have always found them more or less interchangeable.

This is the thread used to attach a camera to a tripod. So if you can
canabalise (sp?) an old tripod, you should find just the thing.

Alternatively, if your bits box contains the odd knob-style side handle for
a B&D drill, you will find that this has a 1/4" hole and a hexagon-shaped
socket to take the head of the fixing bolt. The original bolt will have been
1/4" UNF, but you could almost certainly fit a UNC or Whitworth bolt, even
if you have to file a bit off the flats of its head to make it fit.

HTH.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

210-154

Can you search their database with their part number (I can't)).

Would you be so kind as to provide a link or tell me what section it's
under please?

I've found entries like

"2508284552
Knob; Star; Thermoset; 4-Prong Knob; Brass; 1/4-20; 0.375 in.; 1.250
in" (and in their Extended range so subject to £10 P&P).

Is that the sort of thing as I can't see a picture nor match up that
number?

http://tinyurl.com/c3mn3o

Or am I in the wrong place (not used RS for about 20 years and if I am
on the right web site probably won't for another 20).

Cheers, T i m

Use the right part number Tim
210-1543

Ooops (where did that 3 go)?

I can search the catalogue without logging in so you should be able to.

http://tinyurl.com/cbjog5

Look, I'm tired, I rowed the Mrs and daughter 4 miles up and down the
river today. ;-)

But they are sold in 10s and are £3.27 plus vat each so unless you have
mates who need them as well then it is an expensive solution.

Ouch.

Mind you if you are into boating then everything is expensive.

Telling me. How do they describe boats, as a "hole in the water into
which you throw money" ;-)

Good fun though. I might ache tomorrow but should sleep well tonight.

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 May 2009 20:41:42 +0100, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

OK - here are a couple of ideas.

1/4" x 20 could be either UNC or Whitworth.

I think I saw UNC on one data sheet.

I guess that either would do for
your purposes. The purests will tell you that the threadforms are slightly
different - but I have always found them more or less interchangeable.

Ok. Well, this is really a hold-down rather than a fastener so even if
it's not perfect it shouldn't be an issue.

This is the thread used to attach a camera to a tripod. So if you can
canabalise (sp?) an old tripod, you should find just the thing.

Ah, so the plastic knurly thing that dangles from a tripod mount then
eh. I wonder if our camera shop might do something as a spare, or have
some cheapo broken kit etc.

Alternatively, if your bits box contains the odd knob-style side handle for
a B&D drill, you will find that this has a 1/4" hole and a hexagon-shaped
socket to take the head of the fixing bolt. The original bolt will have been
1/4" UNF, but you could almost certainly fit a UNC or Whitworth bolt, even
if you have to file a bit off the flats of its head to make it fit.

Understood. I need two though (+ve / -ve). I think a good starting
point might be the bolt. Once I've got that I could even turn the knob
from some suitable plastic rod and counter bore the top to take the
bolt head, locked in place with some epoxy (or roll pin through the
bolt head and knob etc).

HTH.

It may well have, thanks. ;-)

T i m