Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default table saw prices

Hmm, ad in a DIY shed flyer in the local paper* earlier for a new 10"
table saw / stand for $90 - that's what, about 50 or 60 quid these days?
I'm left wondering how the heck anyone can produce such a tool for that
kind of price... (usually 'low end' seems to be four or five times that,
and much more for a real 'brand')

* 'local' being a bit subjective this side of the pond - the DIY shed in
question is a good 100 miles away, so I can't motivate myself to nip out
and take a look!

Is it silly season at the UK sheds right now, too?

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 May 2009 16:34:27 -0500, Jules
wrote:

Hmm, ad in a DIY shed flyer in the local paper* earlier for a new 10"
table saw / stand for $90 - that's what, about 50 or 60 quid these days?
I'm left wondering how the heck anyone can produce such a tool for that
kind of price... (usually 'low end' seems to be four or five times that,
and much more for a real 'brand')

* 'local' being a bit subjective this side of the pond - the DIY shed in
question is a good 100 miles away, so I can't motivate myself to nip out
and take a look!

Is it silly season at the UK sheds right now, too?

cheers

Jules

It seems to be all Chinese stuff. Made for pennies, workers paid two
fish heads and a bowl of rice. Worryingly the big and reliable brand
names seem to be moving production there.

Imagine opening a Fein and finding................!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hmm, ad in a DIY shed flyer in the local paper* earlier for a new 10"
table saw / stand for $90 - that's what, about 50 or 60 quid these
days? I'm left wondering how the heck anyone can produce such a tool
for that kind of price... (usually 'low end' seems to be four or
five times that, and much more for a real 'brand')

* 'local' being a bit subjective this side of the pond - the DIY
shed in question is a good 100 miles away, so I can't motivate
myself to nip out and take a look!

Is it silly season at the UK sheds right now, too?

cheers

Jules

It seems to be all Chinese stuff. Made for pennies, workers paid two
fish heads and a bowl of rice. Worryingly the big and reliable brand
names seem to be moving production there.

Imagine opening a Fein and finding................!

What? Two fish heads and a bowl of rice?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hmm, ad in a DIY shed flyer in the local paper* earlier for a new 10"
table saw / stand for $90 - that's what, about 50 or 60 quid these days?
I'm left wondering how the heck anyone can produce such a tool for that
kind of price... (usually 'low end' seems to be four or five times that,
and much more for a real 'brand')

* 'local' being a bit subjective this side of the pond - the DIY shed in
question is a good 100 miles away, so I can't motivate myself to nip out
and take a look!

It seems to be all Chinese stuff. Made for pennies, workers paid two
fish heads and a bowl of rice. Worryingly the big and reliable brand
names seem to be moving production there.

Yeah, I've noticed that a lot lately - supposed mid-range stuff using
common parts with the low-end items (motors, castings etc.) often with
little in the way of rebranding (or sometimes the mid-range item gets some
'added value' in terms of additional included items/features.

It's getting to the point where if budget is for mid-range it's worth
shopping around the low-end items as there seems little sense in paying
extra for a flashy case or additional tool that you don't actually need
etc. - not when the 'core' functionality isn't any more robust or reliable.

I've not looked in detail to see if the same thing is happening at the
high end, though...

90 bucks for a table saw just seemed ridiculous, though!

cheers

Jules