Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shed roof felting

I have to re felt our wooden shed roof.

Local builders merchants have sent me down the road of roofing felt and
felt adhesive. It is a 5 by 7 foot shed in a corner of the garden. I can
get access, with difficulty to most sides of it.

Any hints or tips on what not to do?

I have never worked with felt before and now the weather has warmed up,
I might just go for it next week.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I have to re felt our wooden shed roof.

Local builders merchants have sent me down the road of roofing felt and
felt adhesive. It is a 5 by 7 foot shed in a corner of the garden. I can
get access, with difficulty to most sides of it.

Any hints or tips on what not to do?

I have never worked with felt before and now the weather has warmed up,
I might just go for it next week.

Dave

The only dont I'd say is don't use cheap stuff. Otherwise its not a
tricky job - mind you, when using bitumen based adhesive, be sure
eveything you're wearing can be binned.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I have to re felt our wooden shed roof.

Local builders merchants have sent me down the road of roofing felt
and felt adhesive. It is a 5 by 7 foot shed in a corner of the
garden. I can get access, with difficulty to most sides of it.

Any hints or tips on what not to do?

I have never worked with felt before and now the weather has warmed
up, I might just go for it next week.

I've never used adhesive, just felt nailed down. Nor have I ever come
across a shed where the felt was stuck down - be a bugger to get up.

Can't see any reason to use adhesive if you get the overlaps right.

Pent roof or apex?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I have to re felt our wooden shed roof.

Local builders merchants have sent me down the road of roofing felt and
felt adhesive. It is a 5 by 7 foot shed in a corner of the garden. I can
get access, with difficulty to most sides of it.

Any hints or tips on what not to do?

I have never worked with felt before and now the weather has warmed up,
I might just go for it next week.

The Totality of Human Knowledge (Felt Roofing) is in the Ruberoid Blue
Book (linked from http://www.scieroofing.com/flatroofdesign.htm).

Follow its advice on detailing (Ridges, drips, eaves, etc) and your roof
should last: ignore it /simplify things because you don't think it will
matter, and it probably won't last more than a year or two.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Poole wrote:
Dave wrote:
I have to re felt our wooden shed roof.

Local builders merchants have sent me down the road of roofing felt
and felt adhesive. It is a 5 by 7 foot shed in a corner of the
garden. I can get access, with difficulty to most sides of it.

Any hints or tips on what not to do?

I have never worked with felt before and now the weather has warmed
up, I might just go for it next week.

The Totality of Human Knowledge (Felt Roofing) is in the Ruberoid Blue
Book (linked from http://www.scieroofing.com/flatroofdesign.htm).

Follow its advice on detailing (Ridges, drips, eaves, etc) and your
roof should last: ignore it /simplify things because you don't think
it will matter, and it probably won't last more than a year or two.

Interesting, but not really relevant to a shed?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 May, 11:35, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Kevin Poole wrote:
Dave wrote:
I have to re felt our wooden shed roof.

Local builders merchants have sent me down the road of roofing felt
and felt adhesive. It is a 5 by 7 foot shed in a corner of the
garden. I can get access, with difficulty to most sides of it.

Any hints or tips on what not to do?

I have never worked with felt before and now the weather has warmed
up, I might just go for it next week.

The Totality of Human Knowledge (Felt Roofing) is in the Ruberoid Blue
Book (linked fromhttp://www.scieroofing.com/flatroofdesign.htm).

Follow its advice on detailing (Ridges, drips, eaves, etc) and your
roof should last: ignore it /simplify things because you don't think
it will matter, and it probably won't last more than a year or two.

Interesting, but not really relevant to a shed?

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Don't even go down the felt route - it's messy, can be physically
quite hard work, takes considerable time, is a headache to clear up
from and unless you use top quality material is life limited.

Use Onduline or it's equivalent. No nasty adhesive, no problems with
eaves and trying to fold unwilling material, light, quick to install
(an afternoon in comparison to at least a day and a half), no clear up
mess, has a longer life and is no more expensive once you take all the
various rolls of felt and adhesive you have to buy.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Rob
G writes
Don't even go down the felt route - it's messy, can be physically
quite hard work, takes considerable time, is a headache to clear up
from and unless you use top quality material is life limited.

Use Onduline or it's equivalent.

Well, I'm part way through Ondulining my shed roof. Having a day off
after waking up with cramp this morning and only now just about able to
walk.

It is much easier and more satisfactory than felt, although I wonder how
easy it would be to use on a smaller roof with a lot of cutting
necessary. In the end I went ahead and am fixing with screws and a
mixture of Dowty washers and screw caps, neither of which fill me with
much confidence. I'm still surprised that there seems to be no
'official' alternative to nails

The roof I'm repairing was felted by my brother-in-law and myself some
years ago (maybe 7 or 8) with decent quality felt and was glued. He's a
perfectionist so we did a good job. Then last year, suddenly it started
to wear through at the apex and the lengthways-laid felt seems to have
shrunk, exposing the glue on every overlap. Weird how it suddenly
failed.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Kevin Poole wrote:
Dave wrote:
I have to re felt our wooden shed roof.

Don't even go down the felt route - it's messy, can be physically
quite hard work, takes considerable time, is a headache to clear up
from and unless you use top quality material is life limited.

I've found it straightforward, no clean up needed, even when using
bitumen, other than binning stuff, and much cheaper than onduline.

Use Onduline or it's equivalent. No nasty adhesive, no problems with
eaves and trying to fold unwilling material, light, quick to install
(an afternoon in comparison to at least a day and a half), no clear up
mess, has a longer life and is no more expensive once you take all the
various rolls of felt and adhesive you have to buy.

Rob

sounds like you use the basic old fashioned stuff. Better felt is
flexible, even in cold.

Do you know how long ondu lasts yet?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 1, 7:18*pm, Dave wrote:
I have to re felt our wooden shed roof.

Local builders merchants have sent me down the road of roofing felt and
felt adhesive. It is a 5 by 7 foot shed in a corner of the garden. I can
get access, with difficulty to most sides of it.

Any hints or tips on what not to do?

I have never worked with felt before and now the weather has warmed up,
I might just go for it next week.

Dave

We use something locally called 'rubberoid' or similar.
It's usually a roll of roofing sorta gritty on one side and smooth on
t'other.'Last lot I got was about half metre wide IIRC.
We usually glue the overlaps and use large headed galvanised 'roofing
nails'. Also on one roof used nails with large tin 'washers'; where
high winds had torn some previous roofing off the very low angle shed
roof.
Our shed number one similar size to the OPs lasted some 20 years
before needing repairs in this pretty severe eastern Canadian climate.
All our three existing sheds and a previous and a 20 by 12 foot cabin
built by a pond, have been on wooden posts set into the ground. And
built mainly from left-over and salvaged materials. The inspiration
for our Number 2, for example, was that someone gave us a bunch of
sheets of used plywood. That shed contains, among other things, our
four summer wheels and tyres for pickup truck. Time now to get the
winter tyres off! May 1st is the deadline unless extended by
governemnt order during a particularly long hard winter!
After some years of use on mainly bare winter roads time next fall to
buy a new set of four studded winter tyres. Can't put them on vehicle
til end of October if recall regulations correctly though! Probably
about $700 balanced, installed incl. sales tax for four light truck
tyres, we reckon. That includes some pro-rated road insurance if tyres
get damaged etc. Never had to use it but nice to have with some of the
winter damaged road potholes!

re felting a shed roof Dave UK diy 29 November 25th 08 09:43 PM
Felting shed roof mogga UK diy 0 October 17th 07 09:07 AM
Re felting shed roof .. T i m UK diy 8 January 18th 07 02:24 PM
Re felting a flat roof Kev UK diy 5 August 2nd 06 05:25 PM
Shed Felting (or lack of it supplied) Cordless Crazy UK diy 8 November 28th 05 08:46 PM