Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extractor fan - Do I have to fit a fuse?

On 30 Apr, 01:16, Dave Osborne wrote:
wrote:
On 29 Apr, 00:43, Dave Osborne wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
A 6A B type RCBO will probably trip before a 3A BS1362 fuse.
Maybe on a short circuit or an earth fault. A 3A fuse is going to blow
before a 6A breaker on a long-term moderate over-current - which clearly
is the likely fire-causing scenario in this case.

OK, I'll fit a fuse, and an isolator.

If a fuse is so critical, why isn't it built into the fan?

You could ask the same question about immersion heaters or electric
kettles or vacuum cleaners or central heating boilers - some have a
fuse in the FCU and others have a fuse in the plug top.

I wouldn't ask the same question, because my immersion heater is not
fused, and kettles and other portable appliances are for other
reasons.

The answer is that the fuse is a standard type, is located in a standard
place with a straightforward method of access and it's therefore easy to
check that the right fuse is fitted and easy to change a fuse without
dismantling the appliance.

The fuse may be of a standard "type", but it is not a standard rating,
quite unlike a plug. It is not located in a standard place (where
might that be). If it were located in an easily accessible obvious
position on a fan it would be standard. I have been taking note of
neighbours extractor fans due to my new found interest. So far 11
fans, 4 isolators, no fuses that I can find.