Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default connecting sink to foul drain without a 'hopper'

Please can someone advise me how to connect my sink to the foul drain
without an open 'hopper'?

Presently my kitchen sink connects into the foul drain via a sort of
open "hopper" outside at ground level (what is the proper word for
this?). the hopper has a u-bend trap below ground to stop the smells
coming up from the sewer.

I want to put a lean-to conservatory over this outside area and I
don't want an open hopper in it; I want to have a sealed connection
from the sink into the foul drain.

I'm thinking that if I simply make an airtight connection to the foul
drain from the sink then I might get bubbling through the sink trap.
Would the standard solution be to have a new stack connected to the
foul drain and then to connect the sink to that by an access boss?

Robert
amateur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
Please can someone advise me how to connect my sink to the foul drain
without an open 'hopper'?

Presently my kitchen sink connects into the foul drain via a sort of
open "hopper" outside at ground level (what is the proper word for
this?). the hopper has a u-bend trap below ground to stop the smells
coming up from the sewer.

I want to put a lean-to conservatory over this outside area and I
don't want an open hopper in it; I want to have a sealed connection
from the sink into the foul drain.

I'm thinking that if I simply make an airtight connection to the foul
drain from the sink then I might get bubbling through the sink trap.

So fit an air admittance valve. The foul drain should be vented nearby.

However. Be aware that for very good reasons. any bend in a sewage
system needs to be accessible to clear it.

If you are abutting an extension to a kitchen, you have building work
anyway: lay new drains properly.

That is, find out where the drain runs TOO, and and remove the 'hopper'
altogether and extend the drains STRAIGHT to the nearest outside wall of
the new extension, to the sink, and pout a proper chamber there, and
then run a STRAIGHT pipe to the kitchen, even in this means carving up
the foundations of the existing to get it INTO the kitchen, and then a
right angle with adapter down to 'sink' sized will get you a proper setup.

Would the standard solution be to have a new stack connected to the
foul drain and then to connect the sink to that by an access boss?

That's possible, but that places it in your extension. Put an AAV on top
of it in a cupboard maybe.

Robert
amateur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 30, 6:35*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
So fit an air admittance valve. The foul drain should be vented

nearby.

Interesting, thank you.

However. Be aware that for very good reasons. any bend in a sewage
system needs to be accessible to clear it.

yes, there is no bend here.

If you are abutting an extension to a kitchen, you have building work
anyway: lay new drains properly.

I don't want to dig near the house foundations (victorian, shallow)
but I can dig down to the part of the drain that I want to access.

That is, find out where the drain runs TOO, and and remove the 'hopper'
altogether and extend the drains STRAIGHT to the nearest outside wall of
the new extension, to the sink, and pout a proper chamber there, and
then run a STRAIGHT pipe to the kitchen, even in this means carving up
the foundations of the existing to get it INTO the kitchen, and then a
right angle with adapter down to 'sink' sized will get you a proper setup..

I won't have an outside wall when the conservatory is up. it will go
right to the boundary. but I take your point about doing it all new
from the point where is joins the large drain pipe. i will indeed
remove the hopper and its connection to the drain.

Would the standard solution be to have a new stack connected to the
foul drain and then to connect the sink to that by an access boss?

That's possible, but that places it in your extension. Put an AAV on top
of it in a cupboard maybe.

yes that is very interesting and a much better solution. As the
nearest vents are quite close (4m doenstreamer and 6m upstream) the
AAV probably will have nothing to do except satisfy the BCO.
..
thank you very much,

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 06:35:16 +0100, a certain chimpanzee, The Natural
Philosopher randomly hit a keyboard and
produced:

Would the standard solution be to have a new stack connected to the
foul drain and then to connect the sink to that by an access boss?

That's possible, but that places it in your extension. Put an AAV on top
of it in a cupboard maybe.

If the branch is less than 6m to a vented drain, he can use a stub
stack.
--
Hugo Nebula
"If no one on the Internet wants a piece of this,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 30, 9:27*pm, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 06:35:16 +0100, a certain chimpanzee, The Natural
Philosopher randomly hit a keyboard and
produced:

Would the standard solution be to have a new stack connected to the
foul drain and then to connect the sink to that by an access boss?

That's possible, but that places it in your extension. Put an AAV on top
of it in a cupboard maybe.

If the branch is less than 6m to a vented drain, he can use a stub
stack.

that means a little stack with no vent I presume. Thanks for that.
there are two vented stacks within 6m.

Robert