Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default posthole spade or post hole auger/borer?

eden wrote:
I need to dig 5 holes for 1m high picket fence - which of these tools
works most effectively?

I use one of these - amazing bit of kit. £20 for 5 holes, but you could
sell it afterwards.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Builders-Too...er/invt/501584

Also is concreting them def the best option to do as opposed to packed
gravel/earth?

Postcrete is the simple & quick answer
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Special-Mort...te/invt/221100

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Soil is in ex-brickfields area so am assuming with be clayish.

Dave - I'm in Medway too - where's best place to buy Postcrete? and
would half a bag be enough per post?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry, just noticed you suggest Wickes!!!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

eden wrote:
I need to dig 5 holes for 1m high picket fence - which of these tools
works most effectively?

I use one of these - amazing bit of kit. £20 for 5 holes, but you could
sell it afterwards.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Builders-Too...er/invt/501584

Yep that's the one I used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

eden wrote:
Soil is in ex-brickfields area so am assuming with be clayish.

Dave - I'm in Medway too - where's best place to buy Postcrete? and
would half a bag be enough per post?

Wickes in Chatham or Bats in Strood. If you want to borrow my post hole
digger you are welcome.

For a 1 metre post half a bag would be fine.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Apr, 00:20, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
eden wrote:
Soil is in ex-brickfields area so am assuming with be clayish.

I borrowed an auger to use in clay soil in West London; dead easy,
like drilling putty.

Suitably impressed, I borrowed it again to use in gravelly soil in
Essex; utter rubbish.

I got a long narrow spade, intended for digging cable trenches and
have used that since. I dislike Metposts since you have little control
over their direction and tilt once you've started driving them in. You
can always adjust a post in concrete a little. I've used Metposts set
in concrete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:47:22 -0700 (PDT), Onetap
wrote:

I dislike Metposts since you have little control
over their direction and tilt once you've started driving them in. You
can always adjust a post in concrete a little.

So do I, If I'd used Metposts on my fence I would have gone straight
through a plastic gas pipe, at it was I used a concrete post and it
missed by an inch, last fence in the run so it could have been much
worse

Post Hole Auger Freckles[_3_] Home Repair 24 February 20th 09 02:46 AM
Battle of The Post Hole Diggers mike Home Repair 18 January 31st 09 04:50 PM
Post Hole Borer - landscaping question. Steve Lowe UK diy 10 June 7th 06 01:28 PM
Post hole size Jim UK diy 8 April 5th 05 09:54 AM
Snowblower Auger Jammed: need advice on how to take auger apart Shawn Home Repair 3 January 29th 04 02:42 AM