DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   posthole spade or post hole auger/borer? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/276859-re-posthole-spade-post-hole-auger-borer.html)

The Medway Handyman April 28th 09 08:14 PM

posthole spade or post hole auger/borer?

eden wrote:
I need to dig 5 holes for 1m high picket fence - which of these tools
works most effectively?

I use one of these - amazing bit of kit. £20 for 5 holes, but you could
sell it afterwards.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Builders-Too...er/invt/501584

Also is concreting them def the best option to do as opposed to packed
gravel/earth?

Postcrete is the simple & quick answer
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Special-Mort...te/invt/221100

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

eden April 28th 09 08:25 PM

posthole spade or post hole auger/borer?

Soil is in ex-brickfields area so am assuming with be clayish.

Dave - I'm in Medway too - where's best place to buy Postcrete? and
would half a bag be enough per post?

eden April 28th 09 08:26 PM

posthole spade or post hole auger/borer?

Sorry, just noticed you suggest Wickes!!!!!

Tim S April 28th 09 10:33 PM

posthole spade or post hole auger/borer?

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

eden wrote:
I need to dig 5 holes for 1m high picket fence - which of these tools
works most effectively?

I use one of these - amazing bit of kit. £20 for 5 holes, but you could
sell it afterwards.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Builders-Too...er/invt/501584

Yep that's the one I used.

The Medway Handyman April 29th 09 12:20 AM

eden wrote:
Soil is in ex-brickfields area so am assuming with be clayish.

Dave - I'm in Medway too - where's best place to buy Postcrete? and
would half a bag be enough per post?

Wickes in Chatham or Bats in Strood. If you want to borrow my post hole
digger you are welcome.

For a 1 metre post half a bag would be fine.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Onetap April 29th 09 10:47 PM

posthole spade or post hole auger/borer?

On 29 Apr, 00:20, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
eden wrote:
Soil is in ex-brickfields area so am assuming with be clayish.

I borrowed an auger to use in clay soil in West London; dead easy,
like drilling putty.

Suitably impressed, I borrowed it again to use in gravelly soil in
Essex; utter rubbish.

I got a long narrow spade, intended for digging cable trenches and
have used that since. I dislike Metposts since you have little control
over their direction and tilt once you've started driving them in. You
can always adjust a post in concrete a little. I've used Metposts set
in concrete.

Mike May 1st 09 11:25 AM

posthole spade or post hole auger/borer?

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:47:22 -0700 (PDT), Onetap
wrote:

I dislike Metposts since you have little control
over their direction and tilt once you've started driving them in. You
can always adjust a post in concrete a little.

So do I, If I'd used Metposts on my fence I would have gone straight
through a plastic gas pipe, at it was I used a concrete post and it
missed by an inch, last fence in the run so it could have been much
worse :)