Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lighting isolation connectors - how much enclosure required?

I have some high-bay lamps to install in the workshop, where they'll
be high up, awkward to access and connected via flex. A sensible
connector for them seems to be these "Click Flow" connectors, rather
than the usual loop-in junction box.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT100C.html

They also have the claimed advantage of easy isolation for insulation
testing.

My question is, how much enclosure should I provide for these things?
If any?! I presume they're really intended for use in suspended
ceilings and just left dangling free there, I'm planning to hide them
somewhere about 8' above ground, in the lower parts of the roof.
Oddly they don't have any facility for permanently attaching them,
just dangling.

They're made by Scolmore, but I can't find them mentioned on their
site

http://www.scolmore.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
I have some high-bay lamps to install in the workshop, where they'll
be high up, awkward to access and connected via flex. A sensible
connector for them seems to be these "Click Flow" connectors, rather
than the usual loop-in junction box.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT100C.html

They also have the claimed advantage of easy isolation for insulation
testing.

I would use Klik connectors, which come in several formats,
including a ceiling rose style...

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASPCR2000.html

They need to mount on a BESA box (circular conduit box).
The picture shows a stand-alone BESA ring, but IME they
don't come with that (although I've never bought them
from TLC).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:48:37 UTC, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
I have some high-bay lamps to install in the workshop, where they'll
be high up, awkward to access and connected via flex. A sensible
connector for them seems to be these "Click Flow" connectors, rather
than the usual loop-in junction box.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT100C.html

They also have the claimed advantage of easy isolation for insulation
testing.

I would use Klik connectors, which come in several formats,
including a ceiling rose style...

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASPCR2000.html

They need to mount on a BESA box (circular conduit box).
The picture shows a stand-alone BESA ring, but IME they
don't come with that (although I've never bought them
from TLC).

Yes, I used these at home and they are very good. You normally seem to
get the three parts pictuered - the connector (into which the flex is
fitted), a clip-on cover with a flex hole in it, and the actual base.
The BESA box isn't pictured, but is standard.

One point - they don't have loop-in terminals so you'll need to wire
slightly differently, or use junction boxes.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:46:19 UTC, Owain
wrote:

They don't look like the sort of thing I'd like to have just dangling;
not sure if there's any cable clamp on the male side.

There is.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager coughed up some electrons that declared:

wrote:

They don't look like the sort of thing I'd like to have just dangling;
not sure if there's any cable clamp on the male side.

There is.

Confirmed -I have some.

The thing that lets them down is the lack of fixing point in the female
side. It would be nice to be able to crew it down. Having said that, a
cbale clip close by keeps it steady.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:48:37 UTC, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article
,
Andy Dingley writes:
[...]

They do have loop in terminals. You can also buy them with 4 pin plugs for
use with emergency lighting

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gabriel) wrote:
I would use Klik connectors, which come in several formats,
including a ceiling rose style...

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASPCR2000.html

They need to mount on a BESA box (circular conduit box).
The picture shows a stand-alone BESA ring, but IME they
don't come with that (although I've never bought them
from TLC).

Yes, I used these at home and they are very good. You normally seem to
get the three parts pictuered - the connector (into which the flex is
fitted), a clip-on cover with a flex hole in it, and the actual base.
The BESA box isn't pictured, but is standard.

The socket is propped up on what looks like a stand-alone
BESA box in the picture.

One point - they don't have loop-in terminals so you'll need to wire
slightly differently, or use junction boxes.

Real Klik ones do.
(It becomes the 4th terminal in the red 4 terminal versions
for emergency lighting.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:10:57 UTC, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:48:37 UTC, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article
,
Andy Dingley writes:
[...]

Mine didn't, but this was a whle ago and I probably ordered the wrong
ones! It didn't matter in this particular case, anyway.

http://www.diybanter.com

Lighting advice required zeebop UK diy 9 May 8th 08 12:20 AM
What are ELV lighting connectors called ? AndyW UK diy 5 April 22nd 05 04:23 PM
Connectors in lighting back boxes legin UK diy 3 March 17th 05 02:17 PM
Gas Isolation Valve Arthur UK diy 3 August 8th 04 08:10 PM
Enclosure for DP isolation switch [email protected] UK diy 1 September 16th 03 04:24 PM