Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Veneer - but thicker?

Hi,

Been looking at door frames in the bungalow.

We need to replace some doors (changing 2 to sliding and the 3rd door is a
bit knackered) and the choice is for unpainted wood.

To match this, I'll be swapping the old knackered door architraves for
whatever wood the doors end up being.

But - what to do with the door frames? I've got 3 perfectly solid frames and
it is expensive and wasteful (and disruptive to the surrounding plaster) to
change them. Not to mention my frames are 140mm deep and the standard now
seems to be for 133mm.

What I'm looking for is some very thin wood sheet in a choice of hardwoods
to glue and pin-nail onto the faces. Thinner the better as otherwise I'll
end up planing the non-sliding door excessively to fit (they're set up for
a standard 30" door). Almost like veneer, but more like 1/8" thick.

Is there a name for what I'm looking for?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

Your local woodworking workshop ought to be able to prepare this for
you. 1/8" is a bit too thin for the minimum setting on many thicknessers
but with a bit of mdf tacked to the table it is do-able.
Won't be cheap as it is wasteful on wood and time consuming to set up
but 'the customer is always right' provided he pays!
Beware of splitting when you pin it. Cut the head off one of your pins
and use it as a drill bit to get a tight fitting pilot hole for each nail.
I'm not really looking for work at the moment but where abouts are you
based?
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin coughed up some electrons that declared:

Your local woodworking workshop ought to be able to prepare this for
you. 1/8" is a bit too thin for the minimum setting on many thicknessers
but with a bit of mdf tacked to the table it is do-able.
Won't be cheap as it is wasteful on wood and time consuming to set up
but 'the customer is always right' provided he pays!

Hmm. So might not be much cheaper on wood than replacing the frames then?

Perhaps 4mm veneered ply would be an option then. I really only want the
veneer finish, but 4mm of ply would carry it over dents in the frame
without taking much space off the opening. Wouldn't see the ply edges as
I'll have architrave over all edges.

Beware of splitting when you pin it. Cut the head off one of your pins
and use it as a drill bit to get a tight fitting pilot hole for each nail.

Sounds like a good tip - ta.

I'm not really looking for work at the moment but where abouts are you
based?

East Sussex, half way between Tunbridge Wells and Hastings on the A21 (or
that's where the house I'm fixing is...)

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

yes. Small planed timber boards.

We buy em regularly for model making, buta joiner can make em up for you.

If you fancy mahogany or walnut., SLEC do them in up to 4ft lengths.

e.g. http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Walnut-Sheet.html

If you are local enough to do a pickup, you can call em.

But for longer lengtghs I'd ask a joiner or timber vendor to run some up
for you.

SLEC can do it, but they probably wont for a small order.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

Ah., I got some nice oak doors from Acorn doors near Winchester..if oak
would do they would probably run up some scrap for a few quid.

Ring around any joiners who do hardwoods. Or use softwood even. If
painting. Or tack on architrave.

Veneered ply is also a good option, if that serves.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

yes. Small planed timber boards.

We buy em regularly for model making, buta joiner can make em up for you.

If you fancy mahogany or walnut., SLEC do them in up to 4ft lengths.

e.g. http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Walnut-Sheet.html

If you are local enough to do a pickup, you can call em.

But for longer lengtghs I'd ask a joiner or timber vendor to run some up
for you.

SLEC can do it, but they probably wont for a small order.

Yes - that's the sort of stuff. Now I've got a name, I can look to match the
wood later - and if not, ply's the fallback. Thanks for that

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

Ah., I got some nice oak doors from Acorn doors near Winchester..if oak
would do they would probably run up some scrap for a few quid.

I'll look them up - ta. Winchester's a good area for a day out

Ring around any joiners who do hardwoods. Or use softwood even. If
painting. Or tack on architrave.

Ah - I've got the architrave sorted[1]. It's just the inside faces I want to
cover to match.

I was just going to replace the frames, until I discovered the 140mm vs.
133mm problem (plus the bloody big nails holding it on to the wall). Then I
thought "They're square and solid - why not be a bit less eco-unfreindly
and clad them?".

I did consider making my own from PAR - till I asked the local wood merchant
for a price on 140x32 (or whatever the nearest was) in oak as an example.
20quid/m caused temporary coronary failure

I'm replacing all the woodwork out of necessity anyway - so it's a chance to
avoid painting. I'm going for a light finish that sinks in rather than sits
on top. Should be easier to re-do when the kids have done their worst.

Veneered ply is also a good option, if that serves.

It's definately an option - a plan B.

Thanks

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

We need to replace some doors (changing 2 to sliding and the 3rd door is a
bit knackered) and the choice is for unpainted wood.

If you're converting to sliding have a look for "Scrigno" (pronounced
"screen-ee-oh") door frames. They're much higher quality that the
rubbish previously sold in the UK. We have several doors of this type
and I was surprised when I saw the stuff installed by a British builder
which was wobbly and incredibly ugly by comparison.

I thought that Scrigno (and the competitor Eclisse) weren't available in
the UK but a web search shows that they are both sold here. The big
advantage (IMO) is that they are designed to take a standard door and
turn it into a sliding door. Also there's no floor track to worry about,
but despite that the door doesn't wobble on the track.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

We need to replace some doors (changing 2 to sliding and the 3rd door is
a bit knackered) and the choice is for unpainted wood.

If you're converting to sliding have a look for "Scrigno" (pronounced
"screen-ee-oh") door frames. They're much higher quality that the
rubbish previously sold in the UK. We have several doors of this type
and I was surprised when I saw the stuff installed by a British builder
which was wobbly and incredibly ugly by comparison.

I thought that Scrigno (and the competitor Eclisse) weren't available in
the UK but a web search shows that they are both sold here. The big
advantage (IMO) is that they are designed to take a standard door and
turn it into a sliding door. Also there's no floor track to worry about,
but despite that the door doesn't wobble on the track.

Ah - pocket doors if I'm seeing everthing I should on their site. They do
look nice.

I did consider that, but I'm currently considering just a simple surface
sliding arrangement with flat rectangular architrave on one side of the
frame where the door slides and brush strip + overlap for blocking light.

Not as fancy and I'll need a pelmet to hide the top track, but it's easy and
could be converted back to a regular door by the next inhabitant[1]. And
the swinging and sliding doors will be the same design.

[1] Sliding doors are emotive. I'm doing it to save space (I hate getting a
door in the back when I'm at the fridge) but some people can't stand them.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

I'm in west hampshire so a bit too far away. It seems like you have some
ways ahead now anyway.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

[1] Sliding doors are emotive. I'm doing it to save space (I hate getting a
door in the back when I'm at the fridge) but some people can't stand them.

I felt the same way, couldn't stand the things. But for several rooms
they were unavoidable. I wanted doors between the living area, kitchen
and the sitting room, SWMBO wanted the possibility of having it open
plan. We looked at other options and the builder convinced us to try one
Scrigno for another area - bathroom in a barn - where space was tight
just to see if we liked it. I was astonished at the quality. When the
door is closed it looks like a traditional door. So we ended up
specifying them for the other options around the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

[...]

The Eclisse do the motorised door I mentioned to you.

At £1200 and not even a Star Trek sound when they open and close then
probably not.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

Bob Minchin coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm in west hampshire so a bit too far away. It seems like you have some

Are you THE Bob Minchin, who Dave Smith speaks highly of?