Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Veneer - but thicker?

"Tim S" wrote in message
Steve Firth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

We need to replace some doors (changing 2 to sliding and the 3rd door is
a bit knackered) and the choice is for unpainted wood.

If you're converting to sliding have a look for "Scrigno" (pronounced
"screen-ee-oh") door frames. They're much higher quality that the
rubbish previously sold in the UK. We have several doors of this type
and I was surprised when I saw the stuff installed by a British builder
which was wobbly and incredibly ugly by comparison.

I thought that Scrigno (and the competitor Eclisse) weren't available in
the UK but a web search shows that they are both sold here. The big
advantage (IMO) is that they are designed to take a standard door and
turn it into a sliding door. Also there's no floor track to worry about,
but despite that the door doesn't wobble on the track.

Ah - pocket doors if I'm seeing everthing I should on their site. They do
look nice.

I did consider that, but I'm currently considering just a simple surface
sliding arrangement with flat rectangular architrave on one side of the
frame where the door slides and brush strip + overlap for blocking light.

Not as fancy and I'll need a pelmet to hide the top track, but it's easy
and
could be converted back to a regular door by the next inhabitant[1]. And
the swinging and sliding doors will be the same design.

[1] Sliding doors are emotive. I'm doing it to save space (I hate getting
door in the back when I'm at the fridge) but some people can't stand them.

Cheers

Tim

The Eclisse do the motorised door I mentioned to you.

At £1200 and not even a Star Trek sound when they open and close then
probably not.

Adam