Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FAQ and Wiki

Anyone got any thoughts on the ongoing development of the FAQ and the Wiki?

It seems that since we have had the Wiki, not much new has gone into the
FAQ (I don't think there have been any updates on it in a couple of
years now). However reading through some of it tonight a few thoughts
struck me:

There is growing overlap in content. Although the newer articles are not
always better than the older ones.

The FAQ has better browsability - the contents page format at the top
makes it easier to browse stuff by topic. The article index and the
contents by category links on the top of the wiki main page aren't quite
as nice. Having said that the category intro pages themselves are quite
nice. e.g.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ory:Electrical

If one had a page of major topics as per the FAQ, calling up selected
interesting category lists, it might work quite well.

The Wiki however has better searchability...

While its easy for the wiki to refer back to the FAQ - there is no easy
way currently to add references the other way.

So should be looking at better integrating the two resources?

What about importing the better stuff from the FAQ into the wiki, and
then trimming the FAQ to become a structured way of linking to wiki
articles?

Should there be a core of fundamental articles that are kept in the FAQ
deliberately to prevent the content being changed or "enhanced" to the
point of bloat or cruft?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

it works as it is. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

A wiki page with links to each FAQ topic might help.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

it works as it is. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

You have not looked at the FAQ for a while then I take it?

Heating and Plumbing

Heating Systems

* Conventional Boilers
* Combination Boilers
* Condensing Boilers
* Sealed Heating System FAQ
* Thermal Stores
* Balancing Central Heating Systems
* Corrosion in Central Heating Systems
* Gas Boiler valves - Why does the pilot light keep going out?

Most of this is in the wiki now - and often better. The FAQ info on
condensing boilers is woefully out of date (being 12 years since it was
written)

Central Heating Controls, Motorised Valves and Wiring

* Introduction
* The Time Switch
* The Valves
* Thermostats and TRVs
* Installation Types
* Wiring
* How the Mid-Position Three Port Valve works

This is about equal in both...

Other Plumbing

* Water Softeners
* Water Conditioners
* Soldering dripping pipes
* Stopping up 22mm pipes
* Showers
* Washing Machine leaks
* Pipe Bending
* Gas Fitting FAQ

Lots of stuff in the FAQ that is not in the wiki here...

Decorating

* Using Silicone Sealant
* Painting Tiles
* Removing Artex
* Removing scratches from plastic
* Removing scratches from glass
* Drilling smooth holes
* Sealing gaps between floorboards
* Removing lead paint
* Removing Painted Wallpaper

Again a mixture - things like removing paper is much better done in the
wiki, but the lead pain advice is better in the faq.

Home Security

not looked at this yet...

Electrical Appliances

* Washing Machine FAQ
* Pressure Washer FAQ

The PW one exists in both - slightly different versions

Electrical

* Consumer Units
* Earthing and Equipotential bonding
* Electricity System earthing arrangements
* IEE Wiring regulations 16th edition
* Installing cable in conduit
* Dropping wires through cavities
* Low energy bulbs and timer/dusk-dawn/PIR switches
* Why do light bulbs always blow when you switch them on, and why
do they blow fuses/trip MCBs?
* Two-way switching
* Is the UK on 240V or 230V?
* Cables in contact with polystyrene
* Final testing of a ring circuit
* Earthing Plastic Pipes

Much of the FAQ is out of date now wrt to the wiring regs. Although
there is some info that could be imported into the wiki as well.

Power Tools

* The Power Tools FAQ
* Introduction
* Categories
* Buying Policies
* Pros & Cons of Cordless Tools
* The Various Power Tools in Detail
* Drill-bits and Drilling FAQ

partly spread across both. Some fo the FAQ bits could do with an update.

Sharpening Hand Tools

* Sharpening Chisel and Planes
* Sharpening Drills
* Paul McCann's Sharpening Experiences
* Donald Gray's Alternative Approach

Not really covered in the wiki yet

Miscellaneous

* Wasp Bykes (aka nests or bikes)
* Woodworm Treatment
* Fixing Blown Plaster
* Lime Plaster
* Insulation and Condensation
* Repairing Lath and Plaster Ceilings
* Cat Flaps in Double Glazed Doors
* Oil on Paving
* Septic Tank FAQ for England and Wales
Caution: Some information is out of date

Not covered in the wiki.

DIY References

* DIY Catalogues
* DIY Manuals
* DIY Websites
o Handy Links
o Sources of Inspiration

Good section in the faq, although this is one that by its nature would
probably be better in wiki format to make it easy to keep up to date.

Humour

* The Saniflo
* Expanding Foam
* Gerbils
* Evolution
* The Self-Uninstalling Gas Water Heater
* The Pipe Bending Spring

Still classics!

Personal FAQS
(hosted elsewhere)

* John Schmitt's excellent DIY web site containing the following
and mo

all seem to have vanished...

Hosted FAQS

* Drill-bits and Drilling
* Damaged Threaded Fasteners
* Balancing Central Heating Radiators
* Commercial Floor Cleaning
* Commercial Kitchen Design

Some good stuff here not covered in the wiki

A wiki page with links to each FAQ topic might help.

That was a part of one of my ideas - basically an starting point page in
the wiki that could lead to FAQ or wiki articles or both as appropriate.

That does not help FAQ visitors find the wiki though...

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain writes:
I think there is a strong case for 'freezing' wiki articles once 'finished'.

Wiki articles are never 'finished', pretty much by definition.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:41:21 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Anyone got any thoughts on the ongoing development of the FAQ and the Wiki?

There is growing overlap in content. Although the newer articles are not
always better than the older ones.

What about importing the better stuff from the FAQ into the wiki, and
then trimming the FAQ to become a structured way of linking to wiki
articles?

I think it would be much better from the point of view of the vast
majority of of our audience, who are not aware of the historical
distinction between, and reason for the separate existence of, the FAQ and
the wiki, to roll them both into one. And the One would have to be the
wiki since that is what most effort continues to go into.

In the past a hurdle to this integration has been that FAQ articles were
written by, and in a sense owned by, single individual authors who might
not agree with their content being edited and shared in the wiki way.
Possibly this could be circumvented by updating equivalent wiki articles to
include information they are missing that is present in their FAQ
equivelents, and simply dropping the now-redundant FAQ articles. Arguably
most of the FAQ articles could do with updating anyway given their age.

(I know this seems harsh and disrespectful to the original authors who put
in a lot of effort for the communal good, but the DIY FAQ is a there for
the good of the community, not the ego of any of its individual members.
Sometimes we have to let go and move on. Some may remember that many years
ago a uk.d-i-yer used to maintain an archive of selected articles from the
group. This was dropped when the individual was no longer able to actively
maintain the archive and it would have been a burden on others to continue
to host it. And since then the originator's ego has survived and he has
continued to contribute, however modestly, to the group!)

If we keep the FAQ website I could see a role for it being a friendly
introduction to the concept of the ng (maybe a sort of hitch-hiker's guide
to the Usenet :-)) and to the wiki itself (as John suggested). And maybe
the server could also host files (such as spreadsheets e.g. heatloss
calculators) that one wants to refer to from wiki articles but
that mediawiki doesn't allow one to store, and which otherwise have to go
on other people's servers. However that would depend on there being some
mechanism for uploading such files (could we do this Grunff?).

I have to say I applaud your committment John in suggesting this and the
work you and NT continue to do on the wiki. You'll have noticed that I've
been idle on that front for some time. Apologies: I've been cooking up
other web sites and projects. Hasta la vista though, hopefully ;-)

--
John Stumbles

What is a simile like?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

John - I agree. Long term, you simply cannot support two versions of
things like this.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

it works as it is. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

You have not looked at the FAQ for a while then I take it?

what you say seems to say each has its pros and cons. I'm not
convinced its really a problem, in the sense that its basically self
solving. If people like the wiki content, theyll refer others to it,
if they like the FAQ, ditto. If they want to contribute to either one,
they will... Neither is source is bad, both could be improved...

A point worth remembering is that a large number of readers find it to
the sites without ever coming via the newsgroup. Currently if you find
the faq there is nothing there that would also link you to the wiki.
(the reverse situation is slightly better).

I agree niether is bad, and I was looking at ways they can both be
improved.

I dont see anyone doing anything so far, so wasnt about to suggest
linkifying the faq too. Good goal, but unlikely to all happen
overnight.

I am not sure it is worth it in the current form - a bit of reorganising
to make maintenance simpler in future may pave the way to better linking.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
The FAQ has better browsability - the contents page format at the top
makes it easier to browse stuff by topic. The article index and the
contents by category links on the top of the wiki main page aren't
quite as nice.

Would the wiki page template allow a header with this info to be placed
on each page?

So should be looking at better integrating the two resources?

I think so.

What about importing the better stuff from the FAQ into the wiki, and
then trimming the FAQ to become a structured way of linking to wiki
articles?

What about moving the better stuff from the wiki into the FAQ and using
the wiki more as a collaboration tool for generating new FAQ articles?

Its possible, but as Andy said, the wiki articles never tend to get
finished as such - they reach a point where they "escape" ;-)

Should there be a core of fundamental articles that are kept in the
FAQ deliberately to prevent the content being changed or "enhanced" to
the point of bloat or cruft?

I think there is a strong case for 'freezing' wiki articles once
'finished'.

I suppose one thing that could ultimately be frozen is an overall
structure...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

I think it would be much better from the point of view of the vast
majority of of our audience, who are not aware of the historical
distinction between, and reason for the separate existence of, the FAQ and
the wiki, to roll them both into one. And the One would have to be the
wiki since that is what most effort continues to go into.

So in this scenario the faq would become a set of intro pages and place
to host non wiki friendly files - but the all the actual content would
be merged into the wiki?

In the past a hurdle to this integration has been that FAQ articles were
written by, and in a sense owned by, single individual authors who might
not agree with their content being edited and shared in the wiki way.
Possibly this could be circumvented by updating equivalent wiki articles to
include information they are missing that is present in their FAQ
equivelents, and simply dropping the now-redundant FAQ articles. Arguably
most of the FAQ articles could do with updating anyway given their age.

Some certainly... others have done quite well for their age! ;-)

If we keep the FAQ website I could see a role for it being a friendly
introduction to the concept of the ng (maybe a sort of hitch-hiker's guide
to the Usenet :-)) and to the wiki itself (as John suggested). And maybe
the server could also host files (such as spreadsheets e.g. heatloss
calculators) that one wants to refer to from wiki articles but
that mediawiki doesn't allow one to store, and which otherwise have to go
on other people's servers. However that would depend on there being some
mechanism for uploading such files (could we do this Grunff?).

I can see some sense in having a level of moderation in the file upload
process (given the spam problems we have had in the past). Perhaps a
mechanism where if you want to upload a file you leave a request in a
wiki article and a sysop does the actual upload. I can't see it being
too onerous since most of the stuff uploaded is graphical anyway, and
that can go directly into the wiki. So the occasional spreadsheet,
sketchup drawing etc.

I have to say I applaud your committment John in suggesting this and the
work you and NT continue to do on the wiki. You'll have noticed that I've
been idle on that front for some time. Apologies: I've been cooking up
other web sites and projects. Hasta la vista though, hopefully ;-)

No problem John, your contributions so far are substantial and appreciated!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 04:23:35 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

So in this scenario the faq would become a set of intro pages and place
to host non wiki friendly files - but the all the actual content would
be merged into the wiki?

Yes, otherwise we're back to square one, trying to maintain two separate
sets of content. But since people find the FAQ from Google we don't want
to lose it altogether, and a 'proper' website does let one do a more
friendly-looking site than a wiki, which is nice as an intro.

I can see some sense in having a level of moderation in the file upload
process (given the spam problems we have had in the past). Perhaps a
mechanism where if you want to upload a file you leave a request in a
wiki article and a sysop does the actual upload. I can't see it being
too onerous since most of the stuff uploaded is graphical anyway, and
that can go directly into the wiki. So the occasional spreadsheet,
sketchup drawing etc.

I was thinking of the regular wiki maintainers having login credentials to
upload stuff as they wish, with a documented procedure for others to
request uploads.

No problem John, your contributions so far are substantial and
appreciated!

I lost the will to continue when Cables overtook Central Heating Design in
Popular pages ;-(

--
John Stumbles

What do you mean, talking about it isn't oral sex?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 04:23:35 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

So in this scenario the faq would become a set of intro pages and place
to host non wiki friendly files - but the all the actual content would
be merged into the wiki?

Yes, otherwise we're back to square one, trying to maintain two separate
sets of content. But since people find the FAQ from Google we don't want
to lose it altogether, and a 'proper' website does let one do a more
friendly-looking site than a wiki, which is nice as an intro.

All the FAQ really needs is page headers or footers pointing to the
wiki, and mentioning its updated whereas the faq no longer is. If
someone wishes to migrate the faq info to the wiki, great. If not, no
problem.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A point worth remembering is that a large number of readers find it to
the sites without ever coming via the newsgroup. Currently if you find
the faq there is nothing there that would also link you to the wiki.
(the reverse situation is slightly better).

yes there needs more linking between the two,
and links from this newsgroup to the faq and wiki every so often,

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/topics?lnk
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk

ok?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:

A point worth remembering is that a large number of readers find it to
the sites without ever coming via the newsgroup. Currently if you find
the faq there is nothing there that would also link you to the wiki.
(the reverse situation is slightly better).

yes there needs more linking between the two,
and links from this newsgroup to the faq and wiki every so often,

There are usually some links posted from the group reasonably often...
although not to the faq as often any more.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk works as well - no need for the www.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:41:21 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Rumm
wrote:

Apologies for coming late to this. Thank you John for bringing the
thread to my attention. As you've noticed I haven't been around much for
some time, due partly to my wife's health problems.

Anyone got any thoughts on the ongoing development of the FAQ and the Wiki?

It seems that since we have had the Wiki, not much new has gone into the
FAQ (I don't think there have been any updates on it in a couple of
years now).

Apologies for that, hopefully suggestions in this thread will restore
its usefulness, probably in a different way from its current form.

However reading through some of it tonight a few thoughts
struck me:

There is growing overlap in content. Although the newer articles are not
always better than the older ones.

The FAQ has better browsability - the contents page format at the top
makes it easier to browse stuff by topic. The article index and the
contents by category links on the top of the wiki main page aren't quite
as nice. Having said that the category intro pages themselves are quite
nice. e.g.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ory:Electrical

If one had a page of major topics as per the FAQ, calling up selected
interesting category lists, it might work quite well.

This was suggested some time ago... needs someone to do it!

The Wiki however has better searchability...

The FAQ search could be made much better. It uses basic facilities
provided by atomz.com (for free), but better searches are possible
within atomz, or there are probably similar from other outfits (Google?)

While its easy for the wiki to refer back to the FAQ - there is no easy
way currently to add references the other way.

So should be looking at better integrating the two resources?

YES. The big problem with the wiki is lack of structure, not even a
structured index. If the FAQ could be turned into a structured 'front
end' to the wiki, I think that would be the best use for it now.

What about importing the better stuff from the FAQ into the wiki, and
then trimming the FAQ to become a structured way of linking to wiki
articles?

YES. Wouldn't hurt to use it to freeze some of the better wiki articles
into it, possibly integrating articles from different places into a
structure.

Should there be a core of fundamental articles that are kept in the FAQ
deliberately to prevent the content being changed or "enhanced" to the
point of bloat or cruft?

YES. Basically the wiki is 'work in progress'. A consensus could be
taken on articles deemed to be stable and appropriate for the FAQ.

I'm happy to transfer ownership of the FAQ domain to a volunteer able
and willing to take this task on.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 04:09:38 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Rumm

John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

it works as it is. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.
You have not looked at the FAQ for a while then I take it?

what you say seems to say each has its pros and cons. I'm not
convinced its really a problem, in the sense that its basically self
solving. If people like the wiki content, theyll refer others to it,
if they like the FAQ, ditto. If they want to contribute to either one,
they will... Neither is source is bad, both could be improved...

A point worth remembering is that a large number of readers find it to
the sites without ever coming via the newsgroup. Currently if you find
the faq there is nothing there that would also link you to the wiki.
(the reverse situation is slightly better).

Exactly. I get regular requests for advice via the FAQ. Folk seem to
just Google for help, find the FAQ and fire off an email to "The Editor"
without bothering to read how to get onto the ng. Of late these are
outnumbered by website designers wanting the FAQ to link to their
customers, who always seem to have products that make linking "mutually
beneficial" (yeah, right).

I agree niether is bad, and I was looking at ways they can both be
improved.

I dont see anyone doing anything so far, so wasnt about to suggest
linkifying the faq too. Good goal, but unlikely to all happen
overnight.

I am not sure it is worth it in the current form - a bit of reorganising
to make maintenance simpler in future may pave the way to better linking.

YES, it needs a total re-jig using up-to-date management techniques.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:28:35 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "george (dicegeorge)"
wrote:

A point worth remembering is that a large number of readers find it to
the sites without ever coming via the newsgroup. Currently if you find
the faq there is nothing there that would also link you to the wiki.
(the reverse situation is slightly better).

yes there needs more linking between the two,
and links from this newsgroup to the faq and wiki every so often,

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/topics?lnk
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk

ok?

Yes, perhaps someone with a linux system could automate a regular
posting.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

While its easy for the wiki to refer back to the FAQ - there is no easy
way currently to add references the other way.

So should be looking at better integrating the two resources?

YES. The big problem with the wiki is lack of structure, not even a
structured index. If the FAQ could be turned into a structured 'front
end' to the wiki, I think that would be the best use for it now.

A wiki page that is just that has been talked about for some time. No-
ones yet done it. Maybe someone will at some point. It could be its
own Contents page, or could be part of the Main Page.

An outline draft has been written, and as I've said before if someone
wants to post it in .txt format I dont mind making a wiki page of it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Apr 2009 12:27:26 GMT, in uk.d-i-y John Stumbles
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:41:21 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Anyone got any thoughts on the ongoing development of the FAQ and the Wiki?

There is growing overlap in content. Although the newer articles are not
always better than the older ones.

What about importing the better stuff from the FAQ into the wiki, and
then trimming the FAQ to become a structured way of linking to wiki
articles?

I think it would be much better from the point of view of the vast
majority of of our audience, who are not aware of the historical
distinction between, and reason for the separate existence of, the FAQ and
the wiki, to roll them both into one. And the One would have to be the
wiki since that is what most effort continues to go into.

Not necesarily, if a new FAQ editor emerged.....

In the past a hurdle to this integration has been that FAQ articles were
written by, and in a sense owned by, single individual authors who might
not agree with their content being edited and shared in the wiki way.

I think all copyright gets assigned to the FAQ (in the guise of the
current editor), so should not be a problem. Of course original
contributers are asked for permission when edits are made, where they
are still traceable.

[...]

A vote for making it a wiki front end then.

the server could also host files (such as spreadsheets e.g. heatloss
calculators) that one wants to refer to from wiki articles but
that mediawiki doesn't allow one to store, and which otherwise have to go
on other people's servers. However that would depend on there being some
mechanism for uploading such files (could we do this Grunff?).

We mustn't forget the generosity of grunff in hosting both the FAQ and
Wiki. Hope the bandwith is still tolerable grunff?

I have to say I applaud your committment John in suggesting this and the
work you and NT continue to do on the wiki. You'll have noticed that I've
been idle on that front for some time. Apologies: I've been cooking up
other web sites and projects. Hasta la vista though, hopefully ;-)

Seconded, and also for your own contributions John (S).

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Addison wrote:
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 01:40:13 GMT, in uk.d-i-y Phil Addison
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:16:41 -0700 (PDT), in uk.d-i-y
wrote:

An outline draft has been written, and as I've said before if someone
wants to post it in .txt format I dont mind making a wiki page of it.

Its pretty old now but I've converted the previously posted doc and pdf
files to plain text format
http://www.diyfaq.co.uk/beta/FAQ_Pro...e_Contents.txt

The doc and pdf are still there too, as
http://www.diyfaq.co.uk/beta/FAQ_Pro...e_Contents.doc and
http://www.diyfaq.co.uk/beta/FAQ_Pro...e_Contents.pdf

They are *much* easier on the eye.

Phil

Cheers Phil. OK... there is a issue. Wikicode only supports 4 heading
levels, from = to ====, but the document uses 8.

I'll code up the parts that only use 4 levels, which is most of it, as
and when, but the rest will need to be rejigged one way or another.
Some of it I can see easily enough how to do that, so maybe I'll get
back when I've done what I can. I dont know when that'll be though.
Now we can look forward to a traditional structured 'contents' page!

NT

Wiki: CU [email protected] UK diy 20 March 8th 09 03:27 AM
Wiki: Oil [email protected] UK diy 63 January 3rd 09 09:49 AM
uk.d-i-y wiki [email protected] UK diy 27 May 23rd 07 10:46 PM
UK.d-i-y Wiki [email protected] UK diy 6 March 27th 07 01:03 PM
UK.D-I-Y Wiki [email protected] UK diy 17 January 27th 07 02:11 AM