Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is this fixing known as?

I took apart a car door mirror to free up the spring loading. I found it was
all rusted up, so had to butcher it. The spring is held captive by a fixing
I have seen before, but can't think of the name, to order replacements....

It is commonly used to retain a spindle by pushing it onto the end. It looks
like a domed washer, with the internal hole cut outwards radially a number
ot times, so creating tines. As it is pushed over a spindle (in this case)
the tines drop into a groove, under slight spring, so preventing it going
back the other way.

If it still can't be identified, I will take a picture of the butchered one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Star washer? http://www.bakfin.com/terminology.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 08:24:51 +0100, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
wrote:

I took apart a car door mirror to free up the spring loading. I found it was
all rusted up, so had to butcher it. The spring is held captive by a fixing
I have seen before, but can't think of the name, to order replacements....

http://www.bakfin.com/ Starlock fastener (copied from Adrian C's post
on a similar question some days ago)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

but can't think of the name,
to order replacements....

Star washer? http://www.bakfin.com/terminology.html

Excellent, many thanks to you and Peter for the fast and efficient service!

Top fixing Part P UK diy 1 May 8th 06 06:52 AM
A/C Needs Fixing HvacTech2 Home Repair 19 July 3rd 05 06:57 PM
Fixing thru DPM Magician UK diy 1 March 8th 05 07:26 PM
Fixing through DPM Magician UK diy 0 March 6th 05 01:27 PM
Help with cam fixing TrailRat Woodworking 3 February 23rd 05 10:07 AM