Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blocked kitchen sink

Hey folks

Having a right ole nightmare with the kitchen sink tonight. Given up
till morning as well my plunger arm is knackered

Basically theres some type of blockage on the kitchen sink. I've
plunged i for over half an hour, also used a drain snake which is over
5ft down it moving it up and down and nothing.

I've disconnected the unben and there was nothing there, being and
idiot I didn't drain the sink so guess which not a plumber person got
soaked!

So yeah the U bend was clear.

So I'm guessing the blockage is somewhere deeper in the pipe.

I refuse to call a plumber in this time as I've come so far lol.

Also to add I did the drain snake form into the pipe after the u bend
was removed and removed quite a bit of rubbish.

Plunged again for a while and nothing.

Advice welcomed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soulman_uk brought next idea :

Plunged again for a while and nothing.

Advice welcomed.

All you can do is follow the pipe out to where it eventually is
supposed to drain. Find which manhole it drains to and see if that is
backed up or flowing freely.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

soulman_uk wrote:
Hey folks

Having a right ole nightmare with the kitchen sink tonight. Given up
till morning as well my plunger arm is knackered

Basically theres some type of blockage on the kitchen sink. I've
plunged i for over half an hour, also used a drain snake which is over
5ft down it moving it up and down and nothing.

I've disconnected the unben and there was nothing there, being and
idiot I didn't drain the sink so guess which not a plumber person got
soaked!

So yeah the U bend was clear.

So I'm guessing the blockage is somewhere deeper in the pipe.

I refuse to call a plumber in this time as I've come so far lol.

Also to add I did the drain snake form into the pipe after the u bend
was removed and removed quite a bit of rubbish.

Plunged again for a while and nothing.

Advice welcomed.

Are you blocking the overflow when you plunge??
If not then plunging will do no good.
If you are still blocked, buy some caustic soda and follow the
instructions on the pack. keep on plunging!!

Good luck

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Mar, 20:35, Bob Minchin wrote:
soulman_uk wrote:
[...]

Yeah blocked the overflow.

Ok will pick up some caustic soda in the morning and plung away

Appreciate the advice guys!

Also I'm just using a normal plunger would one of those sort of
cyclinder ones be better as your pushing more air down ? (something
like this Item number: 350141889075 on ebay)

My wife said try that Mr Muscle sink unblocker .. last resort! lol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:26:32 -0700 (PDT), soulman_uk wrote:
Hey folks

Having a right ole nightmare with the kitchen sink tonight. Given up
till morning as well my plunger arm is knackered

Basically theres some type of blockage on the kitchen sink. I've
plunged i for over half an hour, also used a drain snake which is over
5ft down it moving it up and down and nothing.

I've disconnected the unben and there was nothing there, being and
idiot I didn't drain the sink so guess which not a plumber person got
soaked!

So yeah the U bend was clear.

So I'm guessing the blockage is somewhere deeper in the pipe.

I refuse to call a plumber in this time as I've come so far lol.

Also to add I did the drain snake form into the pipe after the u bend
was removed and removed quite a bit of rubbish.

Plunged again for a while and nothing.

Advice welcomed.

Try dumping a big bottle of thinck bleach down the sink
(reattach the U bend first) and leave until morning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
soulman_uk wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me like caustic soda will help.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 26, 8:26 am, soulman_uk wrote:
Hey folks

Having a right ole nightmare with the kitchen sink tonight. Given up
till morning as well my plunger arm is knackered

Did you try putting some detergent down the plughole followed by lots
of boiling water?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Are any other water users slow to drain/clear?
If you have a toilet close by, does it flush freely or does the bowl take
longer than normal to discharge?
If you find other users are having problems too, then (as suggested by
others) the problem may well be further downstream with blocked drains.
Be careful using other appliances that connect into the sink waste if there
are any, as these may well overflow.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soulman_uk" wrote in message
Hey folks

Having a right ole nightmare with the kitchen sink tonight. Given up
till morning as well my plunger arm is knackered

Basically theres some type of blockage on the kitchen sink.

Could be fat, or should I say obesity
Perhaps Hot water might shift it.

Advice welcomed.

When I had my first blocked sink it was a mixture of fat and tea leaves.
On my first plunging effort I didn't cover up the overflow,
so the tea leaves + shot up through overflow over me.
Could have been worse if I'd been using strong chemicals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Mar, 20:26, soulman_uk wrote:
Basically theres some type of blockage on the kitchen sink. I've
plunged i for over half an hour, also used a drain snake which is over
5ft down it moving it up and down and nothing.

A longer drain snake? Failing that whilst the U-bend is off, stick a
hosepipe wrapped in a wet cloth down the end of the pipe and then turn
on the hose. Very effective at shifting stuff. Though the usual
caveats about burst joints apply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:35:52 -0700 (PDT), matthelliwell wrote:
On 25 Mar, 20:26, soulman_uk wrote:
Basically theres some type of blockage on the kitchen sink. I've
plunged i for over half an hour, also used a drain snake which is over
5ft down it moving it up and down and nothing.

stick a
hosepipe wrapped in a wet cloth down the end of the pipe and then turn
on the hose. Very effective at shifting stuff. Though the usual
caveats about burst joints apply.

If you do this, make sure that your washing machine outlet isn't
commoned with the sink outlet - and that the blockage is further
down than where they join :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:35:52 -0700 (PDT), matthelliwell wrote:
On 25 Mar, 20:26, soulman_uk wrote:
Basically theres some type of blockage on the kitchen sink. I've
plunged i for over half an hour, also used a drain snake which is over
5ft down it moving it up and down and nothing.

stick a
hosepipe wrapped in a wet cloth down the end of the pipe and then turn
on the hose. Very effective at shifting stuff. Though the usual
caveats about burst joints apply.

If you do this, make sure that your washing machine outlet isn't
commoned with the sink outlet - and that the blockage is further
down than where they join :-(

If the overflow is a plastic flexi tube going to the overflow opening then I
would think it could be blown off with a plunger action.

Blocked sink in bathroom Endulini UK diy 19 January 6th 09 11:03 AM
Blocked kitchen sink Matt UK diy 14 July 20th 07 10:27 PM
Unclogging a blocked sink overflow??? [email protected] Home Repair 9 May 5th 07 11:44 PM
kitchen sink problem: want single-flow crosstop deck sink mixer... but height clearance limited james UK diy 6 March 30th 04 02:43 PM