Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Low energy lamps on an electric fire.

I recently purchased a Dimplex Cheriton electric fire, (mainly for the coal
effect display), and didn't like the idea of two 60 watt candle lamps
burning continuously to provide the glow. The lamps are E14 SES type, 110mm
long and 40mm diameter, so I nipped down to my local Nottingham Ikea with my
tape measure to see if there was a low energy replacement available. I found
a pack of two 7w SES lamps for £5.59 which fitted the fire, although the
diameter of the lamps was slightly more than the originals. The glow seems
adequate, even though the 14w combined output is less than the equivalent
120w from the fitted lamps, and the electricity savings, (and cost of
frequent 60w replacement lamps), should far outweigh any lack of display
performance.

The Ikea item number for the lamps is 603131404 17990, but they don't seem
to be on the Ikea website, so it looks like they are only available for
personal shoppers at the moment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Stottle wrote:
I recently purchased a Dimplex Cheriton electric fire, (mainly for the
coal effect display), and didn't like the idea of two 60 watt candle
lamps burning continuously to provide the glow. The lamps are E14 SES
type, 110mm long and 40mm diameter, so I nipped down to my local
Nottingham Ikea with my tape measure to see if there was a low energy
replacement available. I found a pack of two 7w SES lamps for £5.59
which fitted the fire, although the diameter of the lamps was slightly
more than the originals. The glow seems adequate, even though the 14w
combined output is less than the equivalent 120w from the fitted lamps,
and the electricity savings, (and cost of frequent 60w replacement
lamps), should far outweigh any lack of display performance.

I hope they don't get hot. This kills CFLs in short order.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Harry Stottle wrote:
I recently purchased a Dimplex Cheriton electric fire, (mainly for the
coal effect display), and didn't like the idea of two 60 watt candle
lamps burning continuously to provide the glow. The lamps are E14 SES
type, 110mm long and 40mm diameter, so I nipped down to my local
Nottingham Ikea with my tape measure to see if there was a low energy
replacement available. I found a pack of two 7w SES lamps for £5.59
which fitted the fire, although the diameter of the lamps was slightly
more than the originals. The glow seems adequate, even though the 14w
combined output is less than the equivalent 120w from the fitted lamps,
and the electricity savings, (and cost of frequent 60w replacement
lamps), should far outweigh any lack of display performance.

I hope they don't get hot. This kills CFLs in short order.

They do get warm, but not too hot to touch, so it is experimental at the
moment.
The 10,000 hour stated life of the lamps doesn't mention where they can be
fitted, so this should provide a comeback if they do fail early ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Stottle wrote:
[...]

I'd like to see the reaction you'd get if you tried to take them back
if they failed after 3 years, say.

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Stottle wrote:
[...]

I make that just over 9 hours per day, every day, for 3 years, (highly
unlikely), so it might be reasonable to expect a replacement if they did
fail within this time, finding the receipt would be a different matter :-)
If they only last one year, they would still be a lot cheaper to run than
their 60 watt equivalents.

Does dimming low energy lamps save much energy? Peter Scott UK diy 25 February 18th 09 01:48 PM
Energy saving lamps Grumps UK diy 97 October 2nd 07 12:22 PM
Low energy lamps with dimmer Malcolm H UK diy 34 September 16th 07 12:11 PM
Energy saving lamps Trevor Smith UK diy 4 October 12th 06 11:05 PM
Low energy lamps Frank Erskine UK diy 41 September 6th 06 11:21 PM