Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Battery TV

A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so far.
Would prefer a shop rather than on line.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so far.
Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Maplin have a few 7"/8" ones that run from car cigarette lighter
sockets, if you are not looking for those that have the cells built in.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so
far. Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Amazon list a few ITH.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes
A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so far.
Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Argos sell them

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so far.
Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Maplin for one. Have several small portable sets. You might want to think
of the near future and get a widescreen FreeView one, though. But they all
tend to be quite expensive compared to what you'd pay for a larger mains
one.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
PeterC wrote:
A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so far.
Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Maplin for one. Have several small portable sets. You might want to think
of the near future and get a widescreen FreeView one, though. But they all
tend to be quite expensive compared to what you'd pay for a larger mains
one.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Are we talking CRT or LCD Technology?

I would think LCD is more feasible from batteries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC coughed up some electrons that declared:

A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so far.
Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Caravan/camping place is a good bet for external 12V and battery powered
things like that.

HTH

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:22:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so far.
Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Maplin for one. Have several small portable sets. You might want to think
of the near future and get a widescreen FreeView one, though. But they all
tend to be quite expensive compared to what you'd pay for a larger mains
one.

I have a casio tv with a 55mm screen. Model 770. Was a present from
my wife about 15 years ago. I wonder what I could use it for in 4
years time

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim S
writes
PeterC coughed up some electrons that declared:

A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so far.
Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Caravan/camping place is a good bet for external 12V and battery powered
things like that.

Tim - caravan outlets, like golf, skiing etc really are not the place to
go, they tend to be niche and expensive

Like I said - Argos

or CPC

or Maplin

competitive outlets (although, Maplin seem to be falling out of that
category with some of their prices nowadays)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff coughed up some electrons that declared:

In message , Tim S
writes
PeterC coughed up some electrons that declared:

A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so
far. Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Caravan/camping place is a good bet for external 12V and battery powered
things like that.

Tim - caravan outlets, like golf, skiing etc really are not the place to
go,

I thought you were about to say: "embarassing to be seen in one"

they tend to be niche and expensive

There is that.

Like I said - Argos

or CPC

or Maplin

competitive outlets (although, Maplin seem to be falling out of that
category with some of their prices nowadays)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:05:30 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

PeterC wrote:
A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so far.
Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Maplin have a few 7"/8" ones that run from car cigarette lighter
sockets, if you are not looking for those that have the cells built in.

Thanks, but there won't be a car, so rechargeable cells would be best I
think.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:58:19 +0000, PeterC wrote:

A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so far.
Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Thanks all for the pointers.

Maplin has a couple that have batteries; Amazon's better but I don't know
how he feels about buying on line.

I'll see him tomorrow so, if I stay sober for long enough, i'll let him
know.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:41:55 +0000, PeterC wrote:

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:58:19 +0000, PeterC wrote:

A friend wants a battery-powered TV of about 6" or so screen. Do such
things still exist? I haven't been able to find anything sensible so far.
Would prefer a shop rather than on line.

Thanks all for the pointers.

Maplin has a couple that have batteries; Amazon's better but I don't know
how he feels about buying on line.

I'll see him tomorrow so, if I stay sober for long enough, i'll let him
know.

Be aware that they eat batteries. My mother-in-law was terminally ill in
hospital, the tv on her ward was faulty and she was immobile, the hospital
said that if we bought a new tv they would have to have it tested which
would take a week (more than the time she had left) so we bought a battery
lcd one to give her something to occupy her, but it chewed through a set of
rechargeables in less than an hour and a half. Luckily we had bought a
number of spare sets.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Maplin have a few 7"/8" ones that run from car cigarette lighter
sockets, if you are not looking for those that have the cells built in.

Thanks, but there won't be a car, so rechargeable cells would be best I
think.

The one I have has only provision for alkalines - it won't work with
rechargeables as the voltage is too low. So you might have to make up a
pack with 10 or more cells. And it eats batteries so I wouldn't want to
have to pay for alkalines.

--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
[...]

CRT or LCD?

A LCD shouldn't eat batteries much more than (say) a Nintendo or SatNav.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 00:05:01 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Maplin have a few 7"/8" ones that run from car cigarette lighter
sockets, if you are not looking for those that have the cells built in.

Thanks, but there won't be a car, so rechargeable cells would be best I
think.

The one I have has only provision for alkalines - it won't work with
rechargeables as the voltage is too low. So you might have to make up a
pack with 10 or more cells. And it eats batteries so I wouldn't want to
have to pay for alkalines.

good point - he also has no mains (leccy or water) where he is, so LCD
would be better.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:36:37 +0000, PeterC wrote:

good point - he also has no mains (leccy or water) where he is, so LCD
would be better.

What power source does he have? It would make sense to get a set that can
utilise that directly or via a convertor. But preferably not:

Gert battery bank Mains invertor TV wall wart PSU TV.

Better to go: Gert battery bank DC-DC convertor TV if the gert battery
bank isn't the right voltage for the TV.

The backlight in an LCD sucks power at a not disimilar rate to that of a
CRT. Backlit LCD's are lower consumption than CRT but not by as much as
some people seem to think, 75 to 50% not 10%.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
The one I have has only provision for alkalines - it won't work with
rechargeables as the voltage is too low. So you might have to make up a
pack with 10 or more cells. And it eats batteries so I wouldn't want to
have to pay for alkalines.

good point - he also has no mains (leccy or water) where he is, so LCD
would be better.

It is an LCD. They are still power hungry. The wall wart provided with it
is 1 amp. Even if this is generous - which I doubt - it means alkalines
will only last a couple of hours or so.

If it's for use in a residence of some sort the cheapest way would be to
run it off a car battery - but don't discharge it more than about half
way. Two would be needed - one in use while the other is being charged.
They're by far the cheapest method of storing electricity.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:37:03 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:36:37 +0000, PeterC wrote:

good point - he also has no mains (leccy or water) where he is, so LCD
would be better.

What power source does he have? It would make sense to get a set that can
utilise that directly or via a convertor. But preferably not:

Gert battery bank Mains invertor TV wall wart PSU TV.

Better to go: Gert battery bank DC-DC convertor TV if the gert battery
bank isn't the right voltage for the TV.

The backlight in an LCD sucks power at a not disimilar rate to that of a
CRT. Backlit LCD's are lower consumption than CRT but not by as much as
some people seem to think, 75 to 50% not 10%.

He seems to be sorted now, thanks: a colleague gave him a TV that runs fron
the ciggy lighter socket. He's going to do a lash-up so that there's a
socket on a lead, then, as he works on vehicles, he'll just clip the thing
to whatever's in!
He dosses in a caravan for 4 or 5 nights at a time to avoid excessive
travelling. No 'facilities' but all he needs nearby. The TV's just to keep
him amused.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 07:54:19 -0000, John wrote:

[...]

LCD - I did say, you just missed it

SteveW

New battery for UPS Charles Electronics Repair 7 March 10th 09 08:55 PM
NIKON D70 Digital Camera Battery, NIKON D70 Battery Pack Silvestre Home Ownership 0 December 2nd 08 08:05 AM
changing from 1.5V battery to 9V battery GuitarPsych Electronics 18 April 10th 06 12:11 AM
WTB BATTERY tcrewe Electronics 0 November 12th 04 08:20 AM
alarm system battery backup, battery replacement question Michael Baugh Home Repair 1 June 19th 04 03:35 PM