Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recirculating hob extractor and microwave venting behind fitted kitchen

Hi

Just come back from holiday during which kitchen installation was ongoing.

Neff cooker hood D5625 fitted. There is no way to exhaust to outside so
it is recirculating

Electrolux microwave EMS 26405 fitted. This model needs a "chimney"
behind cupboards and a minimum exhaust gap of 50mm between top of
cupboards and ceiling.

The cupboards have been infilled to the ceiling and I can see no obvious
place for the outflow from either appliance to exhaust. The cupboards
were fitted before we left and I do know there is a chimney to the top
of the back of the fitted cupboard housing the microwave.

I assume that if left there is a danger of the microwave overheating and
the area behind the cupboards filling with condensation etc.

Any ideas on a way around this other than removing the infill between
the tops of the cupboards and the ceiling?

I will be speaking with the installer before work recommences.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:

I assume that if left there is a danger of the microwave overheating and
the area behind the cupboards filling with condensation etc.

Any ideas on a way around this other than removing the infill between
the tops of the cupboards and the ceiling?

Can't you fit one/some of these into the infill:
http://www.woodfit.com/advanced_sear...&keywords=vent

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Invisible Man wrote:

I assume that if left there is a danger of the microwave overheating
and the area behind the cupboards filling with condensation etc.

Any ideas on a way around this other than removing the infill between
the tops of the cupboards and the ceiling?

Can't you fit one/some of these into the infill:
http://www.woodfit.com/advanced_sear...&keywords=vent

David

Thanks David

The cornice or whatever it is called at the top of the cupboard itself
protrudes outwards and upwards.
Current thought is to remove this and drill a series of 40 - 50mm holes
low down in the infill. This should not be visible when the cornice is
replaced.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 07:31:45 +0000, Invisible Man wrote:

Just come back from holiday during which kitchen installation was
ongoing.

Mistake. In my experience no one seems able to do any job properly least
of all trades men.

Neff cooker hood D5625 fitted. There is no way to exhaust to outside so
it is recirculating

Had you specified exhaust to outside? If so they need to come back and do
that at their cost.

Electrolux microwave EMS 26405 fitted. This model needs a "chimney"
behind cupboards and a minimum exhaust gap of 50mm between top of
cupboards and ceiling.

The cupboards have been infilled to the ceiling and I can see no obvious
place for the outflow from either appliance to exhaust. The cupboards
were fitted before we left and I do know there is a chimney to the top
of the back of the fitted cupboard housing the microwave.

Again not fitted to spec of the appliance let alone you. They need to sort
it out at their cost.

I assume that if left there is a danger of the microwave overheating and
the area behind the cupboards filling with condensation etc.

Very much so.

Any ideas on a way around this other than removing the infill between
the tops of the cupboards and the ceiling?

Not our or your problem but that of the installers to sort out at their
cost.

I will be speaking with the installer before work recommences.

Good, far to many people appear to accept poor workmanship and/or correct
mistakes/problems themselves. Without feedback (via their wallet) trades
people won't know they are screwing up.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 07:31:45 +0000, Invisible Man wrote:

Just come back from holiday during which kitchen installation was
ongoing.

Mistake. In my experience no one seems able to do any job properly least
of all trades men.

Neff cooker hood D5625 fitted. There is no way to exhaust to outside so
it is recirculating

Had you specified exhaust to outside? If so they need to come back and do
that at their cost.

Job done on the basis of if possible. Hob is on an internal wall. Turns
out the boxed in area in the way carries various water pipes as well as
the known soil pipe. Agreed to recirculating hood. To keep condensation
down they have installed a flush mounted expelair on the other side of
the kitchen which works really well.

[...]

Have spoken with him today. He has pointed out a long slot between the
cornice and the trim panel which I had not noticed. I believe this is
adequate for the recirculating hood.
The slot between the cornice above the microwave and the ceiling I feel
is inadequate. Installer will drill a number of holes hidden by the
cornice which I am happy with.

Good, far to many people appear to accept poor workmanship and/or correct
mistakes/problems themselves. Without feedback (via their wallet) trades
people won't know they are screwing up.

Agreed. Over the years I have sued entities from a market trader to
Dixons and what was then Anglian Water.
This installer and his team have however been really good and gone to a
great deal of trouble.

Thanks for your interest.