Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default solar tubes etc

Someone I know is determined to DIY himself a solar heating system and
was asking where best to get the bits

Someone posted a useful website a while back, can someone post the URL
please ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Someone I know is determined to DIY himself a solar heating system and
was asking where best to get the bits

Someone posted a useful website a while back, can someone post the URL
please ?

www.navitron.org.uk

Though why they qualify for that org.uk,,,

AJH (sorry about the e-mail Geoff)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , andrew
writes
geoff wrote:

Someone I know is determined to DIY himself a solar heating system and
was asking where best to get the bits

Someone posted a useful website a while back, can someone post the URL
please ?

www.navitron.org.uk

Though why they qualify for that org.uk,,,

AJH (sorry about the e-mail Geoff)

No problem - If I was concerned, I wouldn't use a real address

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Mar, 20:52, geoff wrote:
Someone I know is determined to DIY himself a solar heating system and
was asking where best to get the bits

Someone posted a useful website a while back, can someone post the URL
please ?

--
geoff

I don't know what the previous link was, but http://www.barillasolar.co.uk/
sell parts for DIY. When I bought and installed a panel about a year
ago, they were extremely helpful, gave me lots of advice (before
buying, and afterwards when I was installing), and have competitive
prices.The kit is all good quality branded stuff (e.g., Resol), unlike
some of the other DIY solar people who sell own-brand/unbranded kit.

dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 01:33:05 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be
wrote this:-

http://www.barillasolar.co.uk

The kit is all good quality branded stuff (e.g., Resol), unlike
some of the other DIY solar people who sell own-brand/unbranded kit.

Good quality and a well known brand name don't always go together.
It is sometimes quite the reverse. However, thanks for the link, it
looks most interesting and I have bookmarked it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
writes
On 9 Mar, 20:52, geoff wrote:
Someone I know is determined to DIY himself a solar heating system and
was asking where best to get the bits

Someone posted a useful website a while back, can someone post the URL
please ?

--
geoff

I don't know what the previous link was, but
http://www.barillasolar.co.uk/
sell parts for DIY. When I bought and installed a panel about a year
ago, they were extremely helpful, gave me lots of advice (before
buying, and afterwards when I was installing), and have competitive
prices.The kit is all good quality branded stuff (e.g., Resol), unlike
some of the other DIY solar people who sell own-brand/unbranded kit.

cheers, I'll pass that one on too

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:47:32 +0000, Peter Parry wrote:

Talking to one of the buyers it turns out that the "German" kit was
indeed the same Chinese import as the first and from the same factory.
The glories of the EU allow the German company to import the Chinese
collectors, "work" on them (attaching a 5mm ring of sticky tape and a
"made in Germany" label) and resell them as "made in Germany".

I suspect that happens far more often than most people think. Food
certainly. Where would an average man on the street think the meat in
"Wiltshire Cured Ham" marked "Produced in the UK" would come from?
Wiltshire? Somewhere else in the UK? Somewhere else in the world?

The answer is any of those places, the "Produced in the UK" only refers to
the process of producing the ham from pig meat, it has bearing on where
that pig meat came from.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:46:59 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I suspect that happens far more often than most people think. Food
certainly. Where would an average man on the street think the meat in
"Wiltshire Cured Ham" marked "Produced in the UK" would come from?
Wiltshire? Somewhere else in the UK? Somewhere else in the world?

Like the Spanish Olive Oil shipped to Italy so it can be bottled there
and hence sold as "Italian Olive Oil" which commands a higher price?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Mar, 07:46, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Where would an average man on the street think the meat in *
"Wiltshire Cured Ham" marked "Produced in the UK" would come from?
Wiltshire? Somewhere else in the UK? Somewhere else in the world?

I suspect most of it comes from Denmark. Our labelling rules allow
Danish pig carcasses to be imported, then processed into finished
meats in the UK and labelled as "UK product".

Solar tubes are almost all Chinese, although there's a market for flat
panels from Germany, if you particularly want flat panels so as to
catch the briefest of sunny intervals. China kept developing solar
over the last 20 years when Europe pretty much gave up on it - they
have a good product for it.

One of the few notable exceptions to this are Thermomax tubes from
Northern Ireland, which are a high quality and sophisticated product.
They also have a useful feature in that they'll avoid damaging
overheating, even if they lose the water circuit. The downside of
Thermomax is their high cost, and that Thermomax are unhelpful to deal
with, especially if you have the temerity to suggest that you're
considering another maker's tubes in comparison.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:
Like the Spanish Olive Oil shipped to Italy so it can be bottled there
and hence sold as "Italian Olive Oil" which commands a higher price?

Or indeed olive oil 'Produced in UK'. Or maybe I did see some olive groves
just north of the Dartford Tunnel...

Theo

Solar lighting with separate solar cell Andrew Duane Home Repair 3 September 23rd 14 06:47 AM
Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants [email protected] UK diy 112 April 6th 10 11:41 AM
set-up for rigid panel solar pool heater, solar blanket KLE Home Repair 2 May 4th 08 12:52 AM
Tubes Eeyore Electronics Repair 1 July 12th 07 09:25 AM
Radiant tubes in a concrete/mud slab vs mounting the tubes under the sub floor. [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 4th 07 06:37 AM