Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where can I get cheap(er) trellis?

I want some pieces of square trellis (6 x 6) for the garden and am
fairly horrified at the price. Any suggestions?

Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keefiedee" wrote in message
I want some pieces of square trellis (6 x 6) for the garden and am
fairly horrified at the price. Any suggestions?

errr. I think the clue is in the name of the newsgroup!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 8:23*am, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"Keefiedee" wrote in message

errr. I think the clue is in the name of the newsgroup!

Yes - point made! What sort of timber should I get though, and where
from? Any hints?

Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keefiedee" wrote in message

errr. I think the clue is in the name of the newsgroup!

-Yes - point made! What sort of timber should I get though, and where
-from? Any hints?

Trellis tends to be dry and well aired. Normal treated sawn timber would be
OK or tanalised roof battens. For example 25mmx25mm from:

http://www.timbersupplies.co.uk/timb...ated_sawn.html

is 26p/m. Say 40m for a 6x6 would be about £10. This is chunkier than normal
trellis though so a a trip to a local timber merchant might be advised -
although after a few years the chunky one will still be solid. You may find,
by the time you have factored in your time, you prefer to pay the higher
price though. Steel screws will rust, but only slowly in a trellis - many
years.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keefiedee" wrote in message

errr. I think the clue is in the name of the newsgroup!

-Yes - point made! What sort of timber should I get though, and where
-from? Any hints?

Trellis tends to be dry and well aired. Normal treated sawn timber would
be OK or tanalised roof battens. For example 25mmx25mm from:

http://www.timbersupplies.co.uk/timb...ated_sawn.html

is 26p/m. Say 40m for a 6x6 would be about £10. This is chunkier than
normal trellis though so a a trip to a local timber merchant might be
advised - although after a few years the chunky one will still be solid.
You may find, by the time you have factored in your time, you prefer to
pay the higher price though. Steel screws will rust, but only slowly in a
trellis - many years.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

It seems that every year or two I buy a bundle of 25 x 50 roof battens,
which I keep as a "consumable" behind the garage.

Recent Uses:

Custom weird trellis shapes.
Stakes for fruit trees.
Bicycle rack
Nogging
Greenhouse shelving supports.

Great stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex2" wrote in message

"Keefiedee" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, roof battens are an obvious source but they tend to be 38x25, ie even
chunkier! Any wood you can get for free, of course, is by definition right
)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 10:45*am, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
It seems that every year or two I buy a bundle of 25 x 50 roof battens,
which I keep as a "consumable" behind the garage.

Yes, roof battens are an obvious source but they tend to be 38x25, ie even
chunkier! Any wood you can get for free, of course, is by definition right

I just this weekend installed 7off 6x6 trellis against an existing
fence for plants to grow onto. I fitted some of that cheap and nasty
diamond trellis a couple of years ago but it looks cr*ppy now and is
falling apart.

I drove to my local garden centre (notcutts) expecting to pay around
£18ish a panel. It was £25 minus the obligatory penny) It looked
winter weathered too Went to Wickes where it was listed as £15 but
out of stock. So good old B&Q to the rescue... £15.98, plenty in stock
and brand new too still bundled together. Its sold as with a 10 year
warranty too if you don't sit it on the soil. At that price even if I
bought the materials I don't think I could make it quick enough to pay
for my time.

Installed with a standoff from the fence so theres plenty of room for
the rasberry and honeysuckle to grow! It looks the biz!

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
"Vortex2" wrote in message
"Keefiedee" wrote in message

[...]

We have willow and hazel nearby. Makes a nice rustic trellis if you have
the time
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
"Keefiedee" wrote in message
I want some pieces of square trellis (6 x 6) for the garden and am
fairly horrified at the price. Any suggestions?

errr. I think the clue is in the name of the newsgroup!

Not convinced that works in this case. Our local fencing supplier will
make it to order for less than the cost of the timber, let alone the
nails. They dip it in wood preserver as well.

To the OP - see if you have a fencing company that can supply.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mar, 08:10, Keefiedee wrote:
I want some pieces of square trellis (6 x 6) for the garden and am
fairly horrified at the price. *Any suggestions?

Withies (thin rods with the bark still on, probably of willow). It's
work to assemble it and an awful lot of twine-tying, but it looks _so_
much better than inch wide sawn wood strips. The foundations can be
galv. fencing wire on vine eyes, to get a stand-off from the wall.