Norm Dion

Default Trellis design/material

I'm in the process of designing a trellis that will sit over my twin garage
doors.
The supporting frame will be fir, but in order to save weight I'm
considering the use of cedar for the upper,
"trim" portion.
My question: will cedar hold paint as well as fir, and if so, oil or latex?
TIA

Jeff Cochran

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:21:57 GMT, "Norm Dion"
wrote:

I'm in the process of designing a trellis that will sit over my twin garage
doors.
The supporting frame will be fir, but in order to save weight I'm
considering the use of cedar for the upper,
"trim" portion.
My question: will cedar hold paint as well as fir, and if so, oil or latex?

Properly primed and prepared, almost anything holds paint well today.
While oil is traditional, latex has become a paint of choice for many
and the quality latexes are exrtremely durable. I like an oil-base
primer and latex topcoat for this type of thing, especially since
anything covered with plant material will never be repainted.

As an alternative, think of non-wood pre-finished materials, plastics,
extrusions and so on.

Jeff
Phisherman

wrote:

I'm in the process of designing a trellis that will sit over my twin garage
doors.
The supporting frame will be fir, but in order to save weight I'm
considering the use of cedar for the upper,
"trim" portion.
My question: will cedar hold paint as well as fir, and if so, oil or latex?
TIA

Use cypress. But getting back to your question, yes. Use a primer.
it doesn't matter if you use oil or latex.