Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Eurolocks - confused!

After all the recent discussion about Eurolocks I'm confused about why I
even bother locking the door if they're so easy to defeat.
Is there a range of Euro cylinders which can't be bumped, broken with a
spanner or whatever other way is the low-life flavour of the month for
getting past them? (Preferably a range which doesn't cost a significant
portion of the value of the things its protecting.)

Tom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.cwatson.co.uk/index.html?...rget=d177.html

the difference in price to me would be around £30.00 pounds which is why the
snappable ones are fitted,and even if they fail to break your lock,there are
plenty of other ways for them to gain entry to your house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:46:06 +0000, NoSpam wrote:

After all the recent discussion about Eurolocks I'm confused about why I
even bother locking the door if they're so easy to defeat.
Is there a range of Euro cylinders which can't be bumped, broken with a
spanner or whatever other way is the low-life flavour of the month for
getting past them? (Preferably a range which doesn't cost a significant
portion of the value of the things its protecting.)

Tom

I recently bought my replacements from here. They claim to cover most weak
points but whether they are effective or not, I can't really say.

http://www.handlestore.com/keycylinder.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:
After all the recent discussion about Eurolocks I'm confused about
why I even bother locking the door if they're so easy to defeat.
Is there a range of Euro cylinders which can't be bumped, broken with
a spanner or whatever other way is the low-life flavour of the month
for getting past them? (Preferably a range which doesn't cost a
significant portion of the value of the things its protecting.)

May be wrong, but I don't think they are that bad.

AIUI you can only snap a Eurolock if the barrel prodrudes from the door &
you can get a spanner on it. If its flush with the door or handle plate you
can't. Most door handles I've come across are attached from the inside so
aren't easily removed.

I don't think bumping is as easy as the web sites selling bump keys say it
is. I was given a set of lock picks & instructions & tried to pick a Yale
type lock - nothing like as easy as it seems from the telly or films.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
After all the recent discussion about Eurolocks I'm confused about why I
even bother locking the door if they're so easy to defeat.
Is there a range of Euro cylinders which can't be bumped, broken with a
spanner or whatever other way is the low-life flavour of the month for
getting past them? (Preferably a range which doesn't cost a significant
portion of the value of the things its protecting.)

They are reasonably safe if they don't stick out of the plate.
Some of the ones I have been advising people to replace have been protruding
by about 25 mm!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 18:57:38 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

They are reasonably safe if they don't stick out of the plate.
Some of the ones I have been advising people to replace have been protruding
by about 25 mm!

Can the device they use to snap the lock be used to break the handle plate away
though, which would leave 12 - 15mmm exposed ? It could of course be chiselled
off. I can't imagine they are that strong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
NoSpam wrote:
[...]

Oh it is!
My first go was with a Union Euro Cylinder (A spare one I have in a draw), I
took a key from a different lock that fitted, and mad it into a bump key,
and opened it on the third go - I was quite shocked!!

I than did the same to the Yale on our back gate, and got through that on
the second go...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

They are reasonably safe if they don't stick out of the plate.
Some of the ones I have been advising people to replace have been
protruding by about 25 mm!

Can the device they use to snap the lock be used to break the handle
plate away though, which would leave 12 - 15mmm exposed ? It could of
course be chiselled off. I can't imagine they are that strong.

The ones I've seen have machine screws going from the rear handle plate
through the door into threads in the front handle plate. I guess you could
break the handle plate away, but it would be easier & quieter to break in
another way.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I don't think bumping is as easy as the web sites selling bump keys
say it is. I was given a set of lock picks & instructions & tried to
pick a Yale type lock - nothing like as easy as it seems from the
telly or films.

Oh it is!
My first go was with a Union Euro Cylinder (A spare one I have in a
draw), I took a key from a different lock that fitted, and mad it
into a bump key, and opened it on the third go - I was quite shocked!!

I than did the same to the Yale on our back gate, and got through
that on the second go...

I've never tried a bump key, only traditional lock picks. You made your own
bump keys rather than bought them?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Toby wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I don't think bumping is as easy as the web sites selling bump keys
say it is. I was given a set of lock picks & instructions & tried
to pick a Yale type lock - nothing like as easy as it seems from the
telly or films.

Oh it is!
My first go was with a Union Euro Cylinder (A spare one I have in a
draw), I took a key from a different lock that fitted, and mad it
into a bump key, and opened it on the third go - I was quite
shocked!!

I than did the same to the Yale on our back gate, and got through
that on the second go...

I've never tried a bump key, only traditional lock picks. You made
your own bump keys rather than bought them?

Just two, as I had a box of old keys!

It's quite simple really, just need an old key and a small file!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 20:45:18 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Andy Cap wrote:
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

The ones I've seen have machine screws going from the rear handle plate
through the door into threads in the front handle plate. I guess you could
break the handle plate away, but it would be easier & quieter to break in
another way.

From photos I've seen they always snap off the handle plate, so I'm not
sure it matter about a slight offset. I have my doubts your average
burglar can use bump keys though, so used the handle store as quoted above
to replace my locks. They also supply some sticky liquid to leave in the
lock to soak into the pins thats meant to stop bumping, but who knows.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

They are reasonably safe if they don't stick out of the plate.
Some of the ones I have been advising people to replace have been
protruding by about 25 mm!

Can the device they use to snap the lock be used to break the handle
plate away though, which would leave 12 - 15mmm exposed ? It could of
course be chiselled off. I can't imagine they are that strong.

The ones I've seen have machine screws going from the rear handle plate
through the door into threads in the front handle plate. I guess you could
break the handle plate away, but it would be easier & quieter to break in
another way.

In some the screws go in to the plastic end pieces and they're a slide fit
in the aluminium plate. It would be quite easy just to lever the whole
plate until it broke or came off the plastic bits.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It's like anything, if someone wants to do something, i.e. break into your
home, they will do it. We, can only try to deter the would be opportunist
burglar. I fitted snap safe Mul-T-Locks and sash jammers to my french
doors. Someone also told me to put a dog bowl outside the rear doors. If
they think you have a dog in there, they may think twice and move on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes, can't stop professional criminals and looneys! I used to have a
crowbar, a 14 lb. weight and about 10" of West Coast Main Line outside the
door! Moved 'em now, but a 600x450 slab is easy enough to get up.

Got dogs on both sides but they're so nice they'd probably welcome
intruders; they're also locked up when their people are out to stop them
being stolen!
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message

Yes, can't stop professional criminals and looneys! I used to have a
crowbar, a 14 lb. weight and about 10" of West Coast Main Line outside the
door! Moved 'em now, but a 600x450 slab is easy enough to get up.

I agree, my brothers next door neighbours were broken into while they were
at home and they had dogs.
The thieves walked up the garden path, picked up the stone bird bath and
threw it through the patio doors before walking off with the TV and video.
The dogs didn't detere them at, nor did the fact it was daylight.

Got dogs on both sides but they're so nice they'd probably welcome
intruders; they're also locked up when their people are out to stop them
being stolen!

See above. ;-)

PS I have a 36" crowbar in the boot ATM so I could get into almost anywhere
if I wanted to.

eurolocks part deux Colin Wilson UK diy 14 March 3rd 09 04:26 PM
Eurolocks - when you have no keys ? Colin Wilson UK diy 10 January 13th 09 11:15 AM
Eurolocks? The Medway Handyman UK diy 15 October 25th 08 10:45 PM
I'm a bit confused here? George UK diy 3 April 30th 08 05:44 PM
I'm confused about Btu ? john Smith UK diy 6 February 15th 05 12:01 PM