Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Efflorescence ... ?

Driving around the village over the last few days, I have seen a huge amount
of efflorescence on walls, that I don't ever remember seeing before. One
wall, that must be a hundred feet long and 7 feet tall, seems to have so
much white deposit on its surface, that at first I thought that vandals had
'treated' it to a paint job. This particular wall is 20+ years old, in
pretty standard looking Golden Fleck type brick to match the houses. I think
that it probably forms a retaining wall for at least part of its height,
which I thought at first might give a bit of a clue as to what was going on,
but the more I looked, the more walls I found that were suffering, many of
which are just free standing boundary walls. As I pulled back up at home, I
noticed that the low wall with pillars that my neighbour had built 3 years
back, has become likewise afflicted. It looks almost as though someone has
taken a brushful of whitewash to it.

So, has anyone else noticed this ? Anyone venture a suggestion as to what is
different about this year that has started this happening ? I had thought
that this effect only happened on new bricks, but apparently not ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar, 14:22, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
[...]

Pretty common and not just with new bricks

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Oh yes. I've seen it many times, but primarily on new bricks, and am well
aware of what it basically is. Just that I don't recall ever having seen it
'appear' suddenly, in the sorts of quantities that I am talking about, on
old(er) walls. Hence why I asked if anyone else had seen it like this in
their area.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

As a guess I'd be thinking that efflorescence on brickwork is normal.
It's effects haven't been seen until recently as the acid rains
effectively dissolved it. Clean up the power stations and all we are
left with is efflorescence and sodding green mould and lichen
growing on every external surface.
Bring back the acid rain!.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

This is not just 'recent' - it is sudden. And the amounts are very
significant. It literally looks as though someone has tried to whitewash
these walls. I take your point about the acid rain, and the way it kept
chemical surface blooms and botanical growths at bay, but in reality, we
haven't really had rain at that level of acidity for some years now, so I
don't think that this sudden appearance of efflorescense can be attributed
to that. Puzzling. Has anyone else actually noticed any of the same in their
area ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

When you say "bricks", I presume you mean those coloured brick-shaped
lumps of concrete. Those on our house produced quite a bloom when the
weather cleared up after a long period of heavy rain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

When you say "bricks", I presume you mean those coloured brick-shaped
lumps of concrete. Those on our house produced quite a bloom when the
weather cleared up after a long period of heavy rain.

Well, when I say "bricks", I mean "bricks" really. Sort of 'brick-shaped'
baked lumps of clay with "LBC" stamped into the frogs. The sort of thing
that a brick wall or brick house might be built of. Nothing to do with
concrete, afaik ... ??

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

OK, I stand corrected. In these parts (NZ) most so-called bricks are
not fired clay these days. I haven't seen efflorescence from real
bricks - clearly my experience is limited.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Ah ... NZ ! Sorry if my previous reply sounded a bit ****y - it wasn't
really intended to. Just a bit tongue in cheek really. Don't normally expect
to get Kiwis on a UK group ! (I hope 'Kiwi' isn't seen as one of those
'racist' things down your end of the world ... ;~} )

Anyways, I took a walk this morning and noticed a *lot* of efflorescence on
house brick courses below the dpc, so I guess that there's got to be
something to it being caused by damp rising up in the bricks, which of
course would not be restricted in the case of a garden wall, there not being
any dpc. I suppose that we have had quite a wet winter, so I guess that the
ground is probably pretty damp. So the other question now, would be, is the
white deposit something which is being driven out of the bricks by the water
rising up through them and evaporating off the face, or is it something that
is in solution in the water, that is then left behind as it evaporates ?
With one of the walls that is particularly badly affected being at least 20
years old, I would have thought that anything actually in the structure of
the brick, would have been long since driven out. Curious ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Not racist ... but a kiwi is a shy, nondescript, flightless bird that
only ventures out at night, and has a long beak that it is always
sticking into everything. ;-)

[...]

"Efflorescence is a white crystalline or powdery, often fluffy/fuzzy
deposit on the surface of masonry materials like concrete, brick, clay
tile, etc. It's caused by water seeping through the wall/floor/object.
The water dissolves salts inside the object while moving through it,
then evaporates leaving the salt on the surface."

I hadn't realized that salts could be dissolved out of brick, thinking
that the firing would lock them in. Perhaps it's a question of type of
brick and firing temperature.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Yes, this backend of the winter has been quite wet and the watertable will
be high which will cause moisture to rise within the brickwork. Your
comments about garden walls not having DPCs has made me ponder a bit. If we
are talking freestanding agrden walls not supporting earth behind then most
walls that I have seen usually have at least a course of engineering brick,
if not two or in some cases a plastic DPC. I know of two from personal
practical input.

When it comes to a retaining wall, I built one in a former property 30 years
ago where I built a cavity wall with a DPC to both leaves and a plastic
membrane against the earth with a plastic DPC below the capping stones. I
last saw that wall circa 15 years ago when visiting a former neighbour and
it was fine. Spending an idle moment recently, I looked on Google Earth and
it would appear that the wall is still standing. If not, then the footings I
put in were reused!

I often wonder about efflorescence. Fortunately my house suffers from none
though others in the road do. Some high up in the structure for many years
which is presumably due to bricks being stacked in water or very wet ground
before construction. Even with rain hitting the external surface of the
brick to an extent allowing salts to be washed down the wall and also
efflorescence to be weathered off by wind gradually, it will (I will avoid
the frequently used spelling here) surely take decades for absorbed salts to
be leached and weathered out?

Despite the gradual process, spalling will occur. I was very fortunate to be
aware of the potential, inspect the construction of my then new build and to
be vigilant immediately after completion. I found several bridges of the
cavity from both signs inside and out which I got the builders to resolve.

You've heightened my concern, dare I venture out after having hibernating
this winter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
..with "LBC" stamped into the frogs.

That's the sort of Euro spirit we need in these troubled times.

Stamp into the Frogs, I say.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
..with "LBC" stamped into the frogs.

That's the sort of Euro spirit we need in these troubled times.

Stamp into the Frogs, I say.

Arfa

LOL !! I don't know about stamping "LBC" into the frogs, how about "CFL" ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 13:22:28 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Driving around the village over the last few days, I have seen a huge
amount
of efflorescence on walls, that I don't ever remember seeing before. One
wall, that must be a hundred feet long and 7 feet tall, seems to have so
much white deposit on its surface,

which I thought at first might give a bit of a clue as to what was going
on,
but the more I looked, the more walls I found that were suffering, many of
which are just free standing boundary walls. As I pulled back up at home,
noticed that the low wall with pillars that my neighbour had built 3 years
back, has become likewise afflicted.

So, has anyone else noticed this ? Anyone venture a suggestion as to what
is
different about this year that has started this happening ?
Arfa

Are these various walls alongside roads? just wondering if it could be
Salt laid down in the cold snap a few weeks back that has been sprayed
up onto the walls. I don't think there has been much rain recently to
wash it off a lot surfaces.

G.harman

Well, yes, these are walls close to roads, but a salt / gritting truck never
came as much as 'close' to our village during all of the recent snow woes,
so I am reluctant to believe that it is road-salt related.

Arfa

Insulate over basement efflorescence? bob smith Home Repair 15 January 27th 18 01:55 AM
efflorescence, or something to worry about ? Colin Wilson UK diy 2 August 27th 07 10:51 AM
Mould or efflorescence? xscope UK diy 6 January 16th 06 06:13 PM
Brick efflorescence R. Levor Home Repair 3 January 31st 05 04:53 AM
Does efflorescence weaken concrete wall? [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 23rd 03 11:25 PM