Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealant Gun recommendations

I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring.
As most of the time after squeezing out whatever substance I am using it
continues to ooze
from the tip. It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other stuff.

So rather than persevere with it any longer I will get a new one.

Recommendation please.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 13:54:05 +0000, Arthur 51 wrote:

I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring.
As most of the time after squeezing out whatever substance I am using it
continues to ooze
from the tip. It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other stuff.

So rather than persevere with it any longer I will get a new one.

Recommendation please.

There are some designs that don't do that. I've got one I bought when it
was on offer at B&Q a few years back. I think it's a Stanley but I can't
see a name on it. The part where the tube of stuff goes is like a
half a pressed steel tube (slit in half lengthways) rather than the usual
two struts, and the front-of-tube end is a U-shape. At the front is a piece
of wire on a rivet you can swivel round to poke blockages out of the end
of a tube, and the handle end is steel folded into U-shaped sections and
in the fixed part of the handle is a hole with "SPOUT CUTTER" stamped into
the metal. And it's blue and costs about £7 (when not on offer).

--
John Stumbles

A: Because it messes up the order in which people read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring.
As most of the time after squeezing out whatever substance I am using
it continues to ooze
from the tip. It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other
stuff.
So rather than persevere with it any longer I will get a new one.

Recommendation please.

Don't buy the Durgun. Expensive piece of sh1te.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 14:27:29 -0000, newshound wrote:

You need to hit the "release" lever, there's no spring driving it as
such, just the stored elastic energy. OK it's a spring if you like.

Yep, I'd agree with that. The slight distortion of the plastic sealant
container and/or the gun itself. The tap the relese and the ozzing stops
or is very much reduced.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:
I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring.
As most of the time after squeezing out whatever substance I am using
it continues to ooze
from the tip. It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other
stuff.
So rather than persevere with it any longer I will get a new one.

Recommendation please.

Don't buy the Durgun. Expensive piece of sh1te.

Yeah I've got one of those.

In theory - it's great: the idea is that its plunger attaches to the
moving base of the sealant tube and allows you to retract the base, so
not only can you stop the flow from the nozzle dead in its tracks, you
should be even be able to slurp a bit up again if need be.

However in practice about 7 times out of 10 you can't get the plunger
firmly attached to the moving base of the tube, so it rarely performs as
advertised. I wouldn't buy one again.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arthur 51 wrote:
I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring. As most of the time after
squeezing out whatever substance I am using it continues to ooze from
the tip. It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other stuff.

So rather than persevere with it any longer I will get a new one.

Recommendation please.

Got a Lidl one a few weeks ago and have just started using it. It's an
aluminium cylinder type which can be used for bulk material or cartridges.
Vastly better than my previous steel frame one.

--
*Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring.
As most of the time after squeezing out whatever substance I am using it
continues to ooze
from the tip. It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other
stuff.

So rather than persevere with it any longer I will get a new one.

Recommendation please.

Arthur

Surprised that you would consider buying a new one (of anything) without
really understanding the problem. A new one could give the same problem
unless you have rationalised what the difference needs to be.

I shall continue to hit the release lever to relieve the built up pressure.
Never had a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arthur 51
writes
I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring.
As most of the time after squeezing out whatever substance I am using it
continues to ooze
from the tip. It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other stuff.

Are you releasing the stop lever after each application

So rather than persevere with it any longer I will get a new one.

Recommendation please.

Arthur

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:

I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring.
As most of the time after squeezing out whatever substance I am using
it continues to ooze
from the tip. It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other
stuff.
So rather than persevere with it any longer I will get a new one.

Recommendation please.

Arthur

Here's one *not* to buy:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86771/...o-Sealant-Gun#

Great spec - swivel barrel, long levers for lots of pressure without too
much effort . . .

*However* the swivel bit is achieved by means of a plastic thread on the end
of the barrel which screws into the trigger assembly. If you exert too much
force - easy to do with the extra leverage available, when using very
viscous sealant, like Gripfill which has dried up in the nozzle - and the
threaded bit just pulls out - Useless!!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arthur 51
writes
I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring.
As most of the time after squeezing out whatever substance I am using it
continues to ooze
from the tip. It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other
stuff.

Are you releasing the stop lever after each application

There is a 'push' lever at the end of the plunger part but I've assumed it
was to be
used to release the plunger for retracting it when a filler/sealant is
empty.
I now see that from reading previous posts its function is to alleviate the
problem I've
been experiencing.

I think I might shoot someone tomorrow.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 19:22:55 +0000, John wrote:

I shall continue to hit the release lever to relieve the built up
pressure. Never had a problem.

I do that if I'm using a frame gun but with the sort of half-shell gun you
don't need to.

--
John Stumbles

Testiculate [v.t]
To wave one's arms around while talking ********.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arthur 51
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arthur 51
writes
I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring.
As most of the time after squeezing out whatever substance I am using it
continues to ooze
from the tip. It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other
stuff.

Are you releasing the stop lever after each application

There is a 'push' lever at the end of the plunger part but I've assumed it
was to be
used to release the plunger for retracting it when a filler/sealant is
empty.
I now see that from reading previous posts its function is to alleviate the
problem I've
been experiencing.

I think I might shoot someone tomorrow.

"Suicide is painless ..."

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring.
As most of the time after squeezing out whatever substance I am using it
continues to ooze
from the tip. It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other stuff.

So rather than persevere with it any longer I will get a new one.

What I often find (depending on the sealant type) is that the piston in
the cartridge tends to stick, maintaining pressure in the cylinder even
when the load on it has been removed (by retracting the activating rod).
In these cases changing the gun will not make any difference. There
is pressure built up in the cylinder (presumably mainly in a slight
expansion of the tube) and the sealant will continue to ooze until the
pressure is relieved. This is more likely to happen with a tube that is
no longer new.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Mar, 22:18, geoff wrote:
In message , Arthur 51
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arthur 51
writes
I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring.
As most of the time after squeezing out whatever substance I am using it
continues to ooze
from the tip. *It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other
stuff.

Are you releasing the stop lever after each application

There is a 'push' lever at the end of the plunger part but I've assumed it
was to be
used to release the plunger for retracting it when a filler/sealant is
empty.
I now see that from reading previous posts its function is to alleviate the
problem I've
been experiencing.

I think I might shoot someone tomorrow.

"Suicide is painless ..."

--

My finger might slip and then ding my finger nail. Thats agony...you
heartless swine!

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar, 05:56, Gib Bogle wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:
I think my sealant gun has a faulty spring.
As most of the time after squeezing out whatever substance I am using it
continues to ooze
from the tip. *It does it with pink grip, decorators caulk and other stuff.

So rather than persevere with it any longer I will get a new one.

What I often find (depending on the sealant type) is that the piston in
the cartridge tends to stick, maintaining pressure in the cylinder even
when the load on it has been removed (by retracting the activating rod).
* In these cases changing the gun will not make any difference. *There
is pressure built up in the cylinder (presumably mainly in a slight
expansion of the tube) and the sealant will continue to ooze until the
pressure is relieved. *This is more likely to happen with a tube that is
no longer new.

In that case, manufacturers of sealant guns and sealant gun
consumibles should get
together.
The sealant tubes should have a compressible area on the side of the
tube which could
be squeezed with the fingers a second before applying trigger pressure
with the piston, and then released
after the releasing the trigger pressure on the piston.
This would release any excess pressure back into the tube.
Arthur,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
On 2 Mar, 05:56, Gib Bogle wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:
[...]

Too complicated. More moving parts means more things to go wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:56:16 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:

What I often find (depending on the sealant type) is that the piston in
the cartridge tends to stick, maintaining pressure in the cylinder even
when the load on it has been removed (by retracting the activating rod).
In these cases changing the gun will not make any difference.

In practice I find tubes (mostly Stixall, acrylic solvent-free glue stuff
and sometimes solvent-based gripfill-type) don't ooze in the half-shell
gun, and usually do in the frame type guns.

--
John Stumbles

What is a simile like?

Sealant mo UK diy 6 November 4th 08 12:50 PM
pipe sealant thehip Home Repair 2 March 20th 07 07:15 PM
Sealant over sealant? al UK diy 4 February 18th 06 06:11 PM
grout-only sealant versus tile-and-grout sealant? peter Home Repair 2 May 10th 05 05:13 AM
Sealant - Again alexbartman UK diy 4 January 20th 05 02:17 PM