Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing GU10 lamps

Mate just chipped his new kitchen floor when a lamp fell out after he failed
to twist it in far enough - I had to remove some glass 'shades' to remove a
lamp last week. What is the best way of getting a good grasp of them to
remove or fit them when they are recessed. I have some (Ikea) suckers which
are fine with the 12 volt lamps but not much good for a twist.

Any tips for us?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:
John wrote:
Mate just chipped his new kitchen floor when a lamp fell out after he
failed to twist it in far enough - I had to remove some glass
'shades' to remove a lamp last week. What is the best way of getting
a good grasp of them to remove or fit them when they are recessed. I
have some (Ikea) suckers which are fine with the 12 volt lamps but
not much good for a twist.
Any tips for us?

rubber glove?

or one of those builders "grip gloves" with the rubberised mesh bonded
to it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Mate just chipped his new kitchen floor when a lamp fell out after he failed
to twist it in far enough - I had to remove some glass 'shades' to remove a
lamp last week. What is the best way of getting a good grasp of them to
remove or fit them when they are recessed. I have some (Ikea) suckers which
are fine with the 12 volt lamps but not much good for a twist.

Any tips for us?

I ended up taking the fittings out of the recess and twisting them by their base.

If the ones you have are made by Osram, they will have an all-glass
construction (no ceramic base) and be a complete pig to get out unless you
remove the fitting. What is likely to happen is that as you push them and
attempt to twist, even using a suction cup or similar, the front facing piece
of glass will detatch from the rest of the lamp, leaving sharp edges onto
which you are already pushing hard with your fingers. Cue much blood and
cursing.....

This happened (well not the blood as I had got wise to it after the first
couple and removed the fitting if I couldn't remove them easily otherwise)
with 50% of the 28 lamps that I removed in our new house to replace with CFL
GU10s....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chunkyoldcortina" wrote in message
John wrote:
[...]

OP here - I found that GE lamps have 6 or 8 small ribs which give you a
fighting chance to engage your finger nails to give it a twist.

B&Q LED GU10 bulbs Stephen Barnes[_2_] UK diy 18 October 31st 08 10:59 AM
GU10 lamps Ariadne UK diy 2 August 12th 08 09:38 PM
GU10 downlight compatible with CFL and halogen lamps? [email protected] UK diy 2 March 11th 07 10:24 AM
GU10 CFL equivalents [email protected] UK diy 23 February 9th 07 01:17 PM
O.T. Making clear lamps into amber lamps NokNokMan Metalworking 14 October 12th 05 05:46 PM