Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen Floor Tiling - Level Accuracy

Hi all

Just considering attacking the kitchen - refurb 2 years over-due!
Laying a straight edge across the floor, although basically flat, it appears
about 10mm higher in the middle than at the outsides.
Is it necessary to do anything about this before tiling, or is it "within
reasonable limits"?
How much of this can be taken up with adhesive, if any?
Having used floor levelling compound before, I'm not sure I could improve
greatly on this degree of level in any case.
Also one of the low points is at a doorway to another room, so screeding
would introduce a small step.

My concern is whether this level change will cause issues with cabinet
levelling etc later.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:
Hi all

Just considering attacking the kitchen - refurb 2 years over-due!
Laying a straight edge across the floor, although basically flat, it appears
about 10mm higher in the middle than at the outsides.

10mm?
I didn't bother leveling my kitchen floor before tiling it,
and that's 50mm lower in the middle than around the edge.
Make sure you fit kitchen units with adjustable legs (I suspect
they all have nowadays, but that wasn't always the case).
It doesn't notice unless you specifically look for it, and it
does mean that if anything leaks, you see it quickly as a
puddle in the middle of the floor rather than staying hidden
behind some units. (I tiled all the way to the walls; some
people don't tile under the units.)

Is it necessary to do anything about this before tiling, or is it "within
reasonable limits"?
How much of this can be taken up with adhesive, if any?

Tile adhesive makes for a rather expensive bulk filler.

Having used floor levelling compound before, I'm not sure I could improve
greatly on this degree of level in any case.
Also one of the low points is at a doorway to another room, so screeding
would introduce a small step.

My concern is whether this level change will cause issues with cabinet
levelling etc later.

It didn't with my IKEA ones, which have quite a lot of
adjustment in the legs. You may need to trim (or built up)
plinths in extreme cases.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:
[...]

On a solid floor it may be worth chopping out the hump in the middle if
it's not too extensive.
I don't tile under units but I sure do tile under washing machines etc,
introducing a slight fall away from the wall if possible
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote

On a solid floor it may be worth chopping out the hump in the middle if
it's not too extensive.
I don't tile under units but I sure do tile under washing machines etc,
introducing a slight fall away from the wall if possible

Thanks Andy/Stuart

There isn't a noticable "hump" in the middle, it's a smooth rise to a high
point IYSWIM.
Think I'll just ignore it and adjust unit legs as suggested.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:
"Stuart Noble" wrote
On a solid floor it may be worth chopping out the hump in the middle if
it's not too extensive.
I don't tile under units but I sure do tile under washing machines etc,
introducing a slight fall away from the wall if possible

Thanks Andy/Stuart

There isn't a noticable "hump" in the middle, it's a smooth rise to a high
point IYSWIM.

Actually I missed that it was a "hump" until I read Stuart's follow-up.

Tiling the floor (kitchen) Vass UK diy 8 February 28th 07 06:17 PM
Tiling the kitchen floor [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 29th 06 03:07 PM
Floor tiling - making up for uneven floor level. Mark S. UK diy 3 August 11th 06 09:17 AM
Do I need to level the kitchen floor ? [email protected] UK diy 3 January 15th 06 02:47 PM
Tiling kitchen floor Tim Smith UK diy 1 May 15th 05 08:32 PM