Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default De scaling kettle

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...

Dennis is an addict Geoff. As soon as he gets a low he needs a fix.

Are you trying to prove you are really stupid?

I think you are just a rabid glue addict who will lie about anything to
justify your harm to others.
You are typical of people with glue abuse problems and will stop at nothing
to get your fix.

And a refusal to face the truth of his addiction

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
If the kitchen gets too warm, the dog mounts even more (it's a
problem he has)

I hope you meant to write "moults" but maybe you didn't ... I had a
dog like that once ;-)

Don't have a tv in the kitchen, and the one in the sittingroom is
never left on standby! (I'm Scottish, what do you expect?)

Amuses me, the radio ads saying the average Scottish family wastes
£410 on throwing out perfectly good food every year.

I don't spend that on food in a year.

Excuse me for asking, but are you (a) very skinny, (b) very mean or (c) very
skint?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
David wrote:
We live in a very hard water area and the kettle scales up very very
quickly, I have always used de scaler tablets or powder to de scale
the kettle however I was wondering if there was another way of doing
it as the price of de scaler is working out to be quite expensive.

I have Googled it and most people suggest vinegar, bicarbonate of soda
or lemon juice, somehow I don't have any faith in those things.

Why bother? Doesn't seem to affect the working of the kettle or its life.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Look after the pennies, and the pounds will look after themselves ;-)

A little of a little makes a very little

Mony a mickle maks a muckle.

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Amuses me, the radio ads saying the average Scottish family wastes £410
on throwing out perfectly good food every year.

I don't spend that on food in a year.

Just over a pound a day on food? I'm not coming round to yours for a meal.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Feb, 00:38, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Why bother? Doesn't seem to affect the working of the kettle or its life.

It affects both - scale is a significant insulator so you'll increase
both time to boil and the operating temperature of the element.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Why bother? Doesn't seem to affect the working of the kettle or its
life.

It affects both - scale is a significant insulator so you'll increase
both time to boil and the operating temperature of the element.

By the amounts talked about in costs for descaling?

Think you guys believe the Calgon ads too...

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 20 Feb, 00:38, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Why bother? Doesn't seem to affect the working of the kettle or its
life.

It affects both - scale is a significant insulator so you'll increase
both time to boil and the operating temperature of the element.

Surely the extra insulation on the body reduces heat loss? And where does
the energy from the element go if not into heating the water?

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 20 Feb, 00:38, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Why bother? Doesn't seem to affect the working of the kettle or its
life.

It affects both - scale is a significant insulator so you'll increase
both time to boil and the operating temperature of the element.

Surely the extra insulation on the body reduces heat loss? And where does
the energy from the element go if not into heating the water?

It has to go into the water and won't affect the boiling time (as long as
scale thickness water dimensions). It will increase the internal element
temperature though, which isn't good.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bob Mannix wrote:

It has to go into the water and won't affect the boiling time (as long as
scale thickness water dimensions). It will increase the internal element
temperature though, which isn't good.

In a 'traditional' immersed element, yes. But in a more modern flat
element? Surely (some of) it can go through the bottom of the kettle.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Bob Mannix wrote:

It has to go into the water and won't affect the boiling time (as long as
scale thickness water dimensions). It will increase the internal
element temperature though, which isn't good.

In a 'traditional' immersed element, yes. But in a more modern flat
element? Surely (some of) it can go through the bottom of the kettle.

Sorry, yes, absolutely. What I said only applies for a fully immersed
element. Ones in the base are rubbish from this point of view. They are
better overall for efficiency though, as they allow the boiling of only the
water you need and the benefit from this (if used properly) would far
outweigh the advantages of being fully immersed.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Feb, 10:42, "Bob Mannix" wrote:

It has to go into the water and won't affect the boiling time

Go live in Hull, then time your time to a cup of tea both before and
after descaling.

If you're good, we might let you out of Hull afterwards 8-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I don't spend that on food in a year.

Excuse me for asking, but are you (a) very skinny, (b) very mean or
(c) very skint?

Yes and yes.

In which order?

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Scaling up parts The Medway Handyman UK diy 19 August 1st 08 09:24 AM
scaling down Chris Woodworking 10 October 17th 07 01:16 AM
De-scaling electric kettle Chris UK diy 22 August 25th 05 03:58 PM
Scaling down a spot welder? Ben Jackson Metalworking 1 May 4th 05 01:56 AM
De-scaling toilet bowl randallnhopkirk UK diy 34 May 1st 05 08:19 PM