Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decking - handrails

I posted a long while back about building a deck in the back garden.
Since then, I've had a new baby and its time to put up the handrails.

I'm aiming to use a top rail, spindles and a base rail, with the base
suspended about 2inch so that we can brush off the deck onto the beds
around.

To attach the handrails to the corner posts I'm using pocket holes to
screw through (as suggested by TMH), and I was planning to use the
same for the baserail. However, tried this at the weekend and as the
baserail is relatively thin) certainly when compared to the handrail)
I think that will need some small additional support such as those
square blocks that often hold drawers together.

My main concern is the spindles though. I had originally screwed the
spindles to the baserail, and then put the handrail on top. However,
when I put this in between the posts it all sagged, so I'm back to
square one.

My next plan is to put an M8 dowel in the top of each spindle, and
locate this into corresponding holes in the handrail and use a
suitable exterior woodglue to bond together. I'll then pop on the
baserail, screw that in from the base and everything should be much
more secure.

Any reasons to think I'm doing anything particularly "wrong" -
alternatives gratefully received!

Thanks!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I posted a long while back about building a deck in the back garden.
Since then, I've had a new baby and its time to put up the handrails.

Congrats!

I'm aiming to use a top rail, spindles and a base rail, with the base
suspended about 2inch so that we can brush off the deck onto the beds
around.

To attach the handrails to the corner posts I'm using pocket holes to
screw through (as suggested by TMH), and I was planning to use the
same for the baserail. However, tried this at the weekend and as the
baserail is relatively thin) certainly when compared to the handrail)
I think that will need some small additional support such as those
square blocks that often hold drawers together.

Wooden blocks will probably look better.

My main concern is the spindles though. I had originally screwed the
spindles to the baserail, and then put the handrail on top. However,
when I put this in between the posts it all sagged, so I'm back to
square one.

Sounds like the baserail isn't up to the job? Could you stiffen it up by
using a 19 x 38 treated roofing batten on edge underneath? Glued & screwed.

My next plan is to put an M8 dowel in the top of each spindle, and
locate this into corresponding holes in the handrail and use a
suitable exterior woodglue to bond together. I'll then pop on the
baserail, screw that in from the base and everything should be much
more secure.

That would also work, lot more time to do the job though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 8:03*pm, "The Medway Handyman"
[...]

True, but no-one is paying me by the hour!

The supporting batten is a good idea - and agree about the wood
blocks. The only reason I'm thinking of brown plastic ones is that
they will be small and strong, whereas a piece of wood of the same
size would be quite weak. I suppose I could make something
"decorative" that is of a more substantial piece of wood though.

Cheers!

Matt