Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hairline cracks

I've just noticed that my lounge wall has a grid of hairline
cracks in the plaster. I don't just want to paint over them
and they re-appear in a year or two, but do I use fine
polyfiller on them or does anyone have a better method
to get a better result or same some time?
FC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Feb, 06:45, freecycle wrote:
I've just noticed that my lounge wall has a grid of hairline
cracks in the plaster. I don't just want to paint over them
and they re-appear in a year or two, but do I use fine
polyfiller on them or does anyone have a better method
to get a better result or same some time?
FC

It's one of the things for which I'm prepared to pay for millionaires'
Polyfilla - the ready to use 'flexible gap' version in the blue
squeezy tube with the nozzle. It's easy to follow the cracks with it,
rub it over and along the crack, then wipe off the excess. The fact
that's its flexible might mean it takes longer to open up again, but
if there is any dynamic movement and cracking of wall, you're going to
continue to get existing and new cracks opening over time.

Toom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

freecycle wrote:

I've just noticed that my lounge wall has a grid of hairline
cracks in the plaster. I don't just want to paint over them
and they re-appear in a year or two, but do I use fine
polyfiller on them or does anyone have a better method
to get a better result or same some time?
FC

polyfilla's as good as any. Wiping it with your finger's quicker than
a metal scraper.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

freecycle wrote:

I've just noticed that my lounge wall has a grid of hairline
cracks in the plaster. I don't just want to paint over them
and they re-appear in a year or two, but do I use fine
polyfiller on them or does anyone have a better method
to get a better result or same some time?
FC

Had a similar problem with year-on-year movement in some hallway
plaster (1850 house).
As experiment, injected a couple of gallons of diluted PVA at a number
of points at cornice level. Sorted it!.
It's now a sort of plaster/brick/plastic composite and I've an
'orrible feeling that the whole wall may now be 'stressing up prior to
exploding .
I'll make do with fine surface filler next time around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
freecycle writes
I've just noticed that my lounge wall has a grid of hairline
cracks in the plaster. I don't just want to paint over them
and they re-appear in a year or two, but do I use fine
polyfiller on them or does anyone have a better method
to get a better result or same some time?
FC

I just use Polyfilla fine crack filler. it's much finer than normal
filler and can be wiped into the cracks leaving hardly any sanding to be
done.

Gives a good finish and is quick, but if there is any movement in the
plaster the cracks will eventually come back (I use mine on some fine
cracks that appears in newly skimmed walls, seemed fine for the couple
of years after that we were there.
--
Chris French