Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Super taps - how to take apart?

Elderly releative has what I believe are called "super taps" - the
rotating tap hangs from a piller, there's a picture of them here,
although they're described as "supper taps":
http://www.bathhouse-restoration.com...x.aspx?pID=434

One of them barely turns and is extremely tight - Does anyone know how
to take them apart? Apparently if you undo the nut at the top of the
rotating body then it still doesn't come apart. What extra steps are
necessary to dis-assemble?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
Elderly releative has what I believe are called "super taps" - the
rotating tap hangs from a piller, there's a picture of them here,
although they're described as "supper taps":
http://www.bathhouse-restoration.com...x.aspx?pID=434

One of them barely turns and is extremely tight - Does anyone know how
to take them apart? Apparently if you undo the nut at the top of the
rotating body then it still doesn't come apart. What extra steps are
necessary to dis-assemble?

Actually Supataps.

Go:

http://www.diyhowto.co.uk/projects/taps.htm

and scroll down.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Feb, 21:26, Rod wrote:
Actually Supataps.

Go:

http://www.diyhowto.co.uk/projects/taps.htm

and scroll down.

Ah! Thank you so much! I've Googled for hours and that spelling
didn't come up!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Elderly releative has what I believe are called "super taps" - the
rotating tap hangs from a piller, there's a picture of them here,
although they're described as "supper taps":
http://www.bathhouse-restoration.com...x.aspx?pID=434

One of them barely turns and is extremely tight - Does anyone know how
to take them apart? Apparently if you undo the nut at the top of the
rotating body then it still doesn't come apart. What extra steps are
necessary to dis-assemble?

IME just change them for a cheap monoblock mixer.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:21:22 +0000, wrote
(in article
):

Elderly releative has what I believe are called "super taps" - the
rotating tap hangs from a piller, there's a picture of them here,
although they're described as "supper taps":
http://www.bathhouse-restoration.com...x.aspx?pID=434

I had those fitted in my bathroom when I moved to my present house. I had
plumbers in twice and neither had any clue how to repair them so eventually I
had to replace them them with conventional taps. Shame really.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:28:13 +0000, Mike Lane wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:21:22 +0000, wrote (in
article
):

Elderly releative has what I believe are called "super taps" - the
rotating tap hangs from a piller, there's a picture of them here,
although they're described as "supper taps":
http://www.bathhouse-restoration.com...x.aspx?pID=434

I had those fitted in my bathroom when I moved to my present house. I
had plumbers in twice and neither had any clue how to repair them so
eventually I had to replace them them with conventional taps. Shame
really.

Ironic really since they were designed to be able change the washer
without turning off the supply. Anyone know why they fell out of favour?
Was it the advent of the deck mixer which killed them off?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:28:13 +0000, Mike Lane wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:21:22 +0000, wrote (in
article
):

Elderly releative has what I believe are called "super taps" - the
rotating tap hangs from a piller, there's a picture of them here,
although they're described as "supper taps":
http://www.bathhouse-restoration.com...x.aspx?pID=434

I had those fitted in my bathroom when I moved to my present house. I
had plumbers in twice and neither had any clue how to repair them so
eventually I had to replace them them with conventional taps. Shame
really.

Ironic really since they were designed to be able change the washer
without turning off the supply. Anyone know why they fell out of favour?
Was it the advent of the deck mixer which killed them off?

Fitting a hose needed a very special adaptor.

I guess they fell out of fashion - one style only...........!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Feb, 23:19, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

IME just change them for a cheap monoblock mixer.

Sorry if I'm missing something but that won't work as there are two
separate holes for H & C at the moment.

The existing hot supatap works perfectly, but the cold will only undo
about a quarter turn (hot turns 3-4 time) and even then it takes great
force to turn it.

I not the dis-assembly instructions say to release the gland nut (I
bet that won't be easy!) and then undo the tap. But if it won't turn
now then is it likely to be any easier with the gland nut removed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

[snip]

Ironic really since they were designed to be able change the washer
without turning off the supply. Anyone know why they fell out of favour?
Was it the advent of the deck mixer which killed them off?

Fitting a hose needed a very special adaptor.

But it was much less likely to blow off the tap under pressure if the hose
got kinked. It had loops which hooked over the knobbly bits of the tap.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Lane wrote:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:21:22 +0000, wrote
(in article
):

Elderly releative has what I believe are called "super taps" - the
rotating tap hangs from a piller, there's a picture of them here,
although they're described as "supper taps":
http://www.bathhouse-restoration.com...x.aspx?pID=434

I had those fitted in my bathroom when I moved to my present house. I
had plumbers in twice and neither had any clue how to repair them so
eventually I had to replace them them with conventional taps. Shame
really.

We has some that I rather liked. A bit of a design classic IMO but my
better half thought they were naff so they had to go. :-(

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Elderly releative has what I believe are called "super taps" - the
rotating tap hangs from a piller, there's a picture of them here,
although they're described as "supper taps":
http://www.bathhouse-restoration.com...x.aspx?pID=434

Crikey they are expensive. We used to have them all through the house -
kitchen sink, bath and basin - and I thought they were great. Chucked them
away when they went out of fashion and replaced them with mixers though....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chunkyoldcortina wrote:
wrote:
Elderly releative has what I believe are called "super taps" - the
rotating tap hangs from a piller, there's a picture of them here,
although they're described as "supper taps":
http://www.bathhouse-restoration.com...x.aspx?pID=434

Crikey they are expensive. We used to have them all through the house -
kitchen sink, bath and basin - and I thought they were great. Chucked
them away when they went out of fashion and replaced them with mixers
though....

I changed washers on them many years ago - a doddle once you work out
how and all without turning the water off !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I know it's 11 years later, but I really, really would like to find one
of those adapters. Can anyone help?

Thanks

How much are you prepared to pay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274434328180