Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

Default Been using diary's ribbon marker wrongly for years?

This year I got a cheap A4 desk diary.

The marker ribbon isn't long enough to be held past the bottom right
corner. It may not seem a big deal but I expected the ribbon to
stick out about an inch or so when it's at the bottom right corner.

I thought the idea was that the covers can be opened when the ribbon
is on the lower part of the long edge.

I was thinking I should remove the ribbon and glue in a longer
replacement when I wondered if this just as matter of "Badly Made in
China" or ...

.... have I been using that ribbon thing wrongly all these years?
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

"Bill F" wrote in message
This year I got a cheap A4 desk diary.

The marker ribbon isn't long enough to be held past the bottom right
corner. It may not seem a big deal but I expected the ribbon to
stick out about an inch or so when it's at the bottom right corner.

I thought the idea was that the covers can be opened when the ribbon
is on the lower part of the long edge.

I was thinking I should remove the ribbon and glue in a longer
replacement when I wondered if this just as matter of "Badly Made in
China" or ...

... have I been using that ribbon thing wrongly all these years?

Wow!
That certainly puts my life into perspective.

mark

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb, 10:30, "mark" wrote:

... have I been using that ribbon thing wrongly all these years?

Wow!
That certainly puts my life into perspective.

Don't worry about it. My very nice high-quality 2009 desk diary has
the sponsoring business' name blocked onto the front, and a ribbon
with "2007" woven into it. As a result of the ribbon, the whole batch
went into a skip and were reprinted(?!) and rebound with the right
year's ribbon in it.

(Of course you don't think I paid _money_ for it do you?)
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill F saying
something like:

This year I got a cheap A4 desk diary.

The marker ribbon isn't long enough to be held past the bottom right
corner. It may not seem a big deal but I expected the ribbon to
stick out about an inch or so when it's at the bottom right corner.

shrug
I've always laid the ribbon down the spine end of the page and every
ribbon is long enough for that.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

"Bill F" wrote in message

Open your front door, and go find a life

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 13, 1:03*pm, "Gizmo." wrote:
"Bill F" wrote in message

Open your front door, and go find a life

How can he go out without knowing what appointments are in his diary
that he may miss ? Until "Ribbongate" is solved I'd certainly be wary
of making any hasty planning decisions.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bill F wrote:
This year I got a cheap A4 desk diary.

The marker ribbon isn't long enough to be held past the bottom right
corner. It may not seem a big deal but I expected the ribbon to
stick out about an inch or so when it's at the bottom right corner.

I thought the idea was that the covers can be opened when the ribbon
is on the lower part of the long edge.

I was thinking I should remove the ribbon and glue in a longer
replacement when I wondered if this just as matter of "Badly Made in
China" or ...

.... have I been using that ribbon thing wrongly all these years?

We need a FAQ!

Remove old ribbon with angle grinder.

Attach new one with sticky-as-hell-stuff-in-a-tube.

Any damage can be repaired with car body filler.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:03:42 -0000, Gizmo. wrote:

"Bill F" wrote in message

Open your front door, and go find a life

He's tied to the house.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

"Bill F" wrote in message

Open your front door, and go find a life

He's tied to the house.
--

Indeed - as long as the leash is under the door he can move about - trouble
is it's just too short to get round the bottom corner of the door so he

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 13, 1:54*pm, Rod wrote:
Bill F wrote:
This year I got a cheap A4 desk diary.

The marker ribbon isn't long enough to be held past the bottom right
corner. *It may not seem a big deal but I expected the ribbon to
stick out about an inch or so when it's at the bottom right corner.

I thought the idea was that the covers can be opened when the ribbon
is on the lower part of the long edge.

I was thinking I should remove the ribbon and glue in a longer
replacement when I wondered if this just as matter of "Badly Made in
China" or ...

.... have I been using that ribbon thing wrongly all these years?

We need a FAQ!

Remove old ribbon with angle grinder.

Attach new one with sticky-as-hell-stuff-in-a-tube.

Any damage can be repaired with car body filler.

Should I replace my inneficient day in view with a condensing week per
page version?

What about a combi address book and diary?

MBQ

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 13, 11:44*am, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill F saying
something like:

This year I got a cheap A4 desk diary.

The marker ribbon isn't long enough to be held past the bottom right
corner. *It may not seem a big deal but I expected the ribbon to
stick out about an inch or so when it's at the bottom right corner.

shrug
I've always laid the ribbon down the spine end of the page and every
ribbon is long enough for that.

But how do you open it with the ribbon if it's not long enouogh to
pull to one side to give the leverage neccessary?

MBQ
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb, 13:54, Rod wrote:

.... have I been using that ribbon thing wrongly all these years?

We need a FAQ!

Remove old ribbon with angle grinder.

What protective gear is required for diary work?

Attach new one with sticky-as-hell-stuff-in-a-tube.

Is there any scope for squirty foam? Has anyone suffered amusing
diary accidents, where February was blown up to the size of July by
over-generous application?

Any damage can be repaired with car body filler.

Do I need to notify the BCO? Who is a Competent Diarist for such
work? Do I need an extra certificate if I want to use shorthand?
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
On 13 Feb, 10:30, "mark" wrote:

... have I been using that ribbon thing wrongly all these years?

Wow!
That certainly puts my life into perspective.

Don't worry about it. My very nice high-quality 2009 desk diary has
the sponsoring business' name blocked onto the front, and a ribbon
with "2007" woven into it. As a result of the ribbon, the whole batch
went into a skip and were reprinted(?!) and rebound with the right
year's ribbon in it.

(Of course you don't think I paid _money_ for it do you?)

Reminds me back when I worked for GEC Computers Ltd.
On 1st April 1988, the company name changed to
GPT Computers Ltd, following a tie up between GEC and Plessey.
The powers that be were very strict that we couldn't use the
old name from that date. One of the things which was still in
regular use back in those days were the IC pads (Internal
Communication), which were preprinted pads with the company
name at the top, some boxes to fill out the sender and
recipients, etc, and space for whatever the messages was.
Anyway, we had to have the whole lot reprinted because the
comany name changed. So they did a giant order, and a pallet
load of boxes full of the IC pads duely arrived -- all with
the old company name on them because no one thought to actually
change that! It joined the half pallet load left of the old
ones and sat in a warehouse for 12 years until the site closed.
I only became aware of the saga at that point, and helped myself
to a box of these old IC pads as the warehouse was being emplied
out into the skip. I've still got some of them, and they are
still used as scrap notepads.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 13, 4:33*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Andy Dingley writes:

On 13 Feb, 10:30, "mark" wrote:

[...]

Anyone thinking the OP was plumbing the depths of "interesting".
There's a new challenger in town

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb, 13:03, "Gizmo." wrote:
"Bill F" wrote in message

Open your front door, and go find a life

If his life doesn't stretch to the lower right corner, he won't be
able to open the door.

Toom

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 07:13:13 -0800 (PST), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

On Feb 13, 1:54*pm, Rod wrote:
Bill F wrote:
[...]

Would that be a condensing combi address book and diary?
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On Fri 13Feb 21:51, Woby Tide wrote

On Feb 13, 4:33*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article

.com,
* * * * Andy Dingley writes:

On 13 Feb, 10:30, "mark"
wrote:

[...]

Guess bookbinding won't ever be as exciting as a video game,
especially to juvenile, but bookbinding is a craft.

If you appreciate a well made book then you may have posted something
more useful.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 8:29*pm, Bill F wrote:
On Fri *13Feb 21:51, Woby Tide wrote

On Feb 13, 4:33*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article

.com,
* * * * Andy Dingley writes:

On 13 Feb, 10:30, "mark"
wrote:

[...]

more useful. *- Hide quoted text -

Having worked as a bookbinder in the past, I'm well aware it's a
craft.

Alas however I couldn't muster the same enthusiasm for ribbon lengths
or internal note pads.