Gnube

Default Binary numbering and how to teach a moron

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:03:36 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

But women are different! They can understand knitting patterns.

We've only got their word for it that they came out right haven't we?
;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
Gnube

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:14:25 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

If it could be done in decimal inside the detector head then I don't think
he'd have a problem. And I think this is what he's trying to do after
having a look at the work he's done today. He had the binary layout drawn
on the back of his hand and he's still got it wrong.

Maybe a binary abacus?

Sheesh, this is a toughie in some ways!

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
Witchy

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:06:08 +0100, "Peter Taylor"
wrote:

"BigWallop" wrote

Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh !!!!!
What am I gonna' do with this guy ? :-))

Promote him? He seems classic management material

Only if he's got 2 clumps of pointy hair

/dilbert
BigWallop

wrote:

"BigWallop" wrote

Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh !!!!!
What am I gonna' do with this guy ? :-))

Promote him? He seems classic management material

Only if he's got 2 clumps of pointy hair

/dilbert

ROFL !!!

Good idea. And he does have spikey hair. Would that count ?

And, is Dilbert still on the go ? I remember that from the seventies when
IT departments and open plan offices were first introduced. :-))

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
We count in 10's cause we have 10 fingers.
If he wants to count in ones chop 9 off.

Rick

ROFL !!!

I'd have to leave him with his right middle finger 'cause I've noticed he's
always got it in his right ear when he's thinking up excuses on why he got
it wrong. Or is this the problem ? :-))

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:12:54 GMT, "BigWallop"

wrote:
Hi folks,

I am trying to teach a young lad how to set up binary addressable fire

alarm
systems and no matter how I explain it, or how much I write it down or

draw
it for him, he just can't seem to grasp the concept. Now I know it is

the
way I'm trying teach him and not the way he learns (?) so I'm looking

for
any suggestions on ways to get this principle over to him.

He's bright when it comes to learning everything else, so it must be the

way
I'm doing it that has him confused. What it the simplest way to

describe
this numbering system. I've even given him homework to do, using the

binary
system to count to one hundred, but he still gets it wrong time and time
again.

He needs to know how the DIP switches are configured in each detector to
give them a unique number on the control panel. But I'm now tearing my

hair
out trying to get it through to him. HELP !!!

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Gnube

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:03:46 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

What am I gonna' do with this guy ? :-))

Forget it, it's a wind up for sure.

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
dmc

In article ,
Martin Angove wrote:

There are 11 types of people in the world. Those who don't understand
binary, those who do but don't get the joke, and those who get the joke.

Yep. Bob Eager has that as a sig at the mo.

Oddly I am wearing this tshirt today :

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/5aa9/

Working in a computing department it is scary how many people don't
understand it. I guess binary is so hidden from todays computer scientists
that they just don't need it

Maybe the OP ought to get one of these for his "student":

http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/lights/59e0/

Tell him he can't go home till he has worked out what the time is

Cheers,

Darren

dmc

In article ,
BigWallop wrote:

And, is Dilbert still on the go ?

Is Dilbert still on the go????

Of course. One of the first websites I visit each morning to summon up
the energy to face managers

Darren

Fishter

Hi BigWallop
In you wrote:
The only thing that is really worrying me now, is the fact that he still had
the drawing on the back of his hand. I drew it on with ink and laid it out
in columns with the decimal number and the switch sequence to tell him which
switches should have been set to on. Then he tells me that " I " got it
wrong and that when switch 3 (4dec) and 2 (2dec) are on, the number of the
head would only be 5 instead of 6 as I had written it on his hand, so he
changed it round to suit. :-))

Rename the switches to A, B, C, D etc... instead of 1, 2, 3, 4. then he
can't add A+C to get 5!
A=1, B=2, C=4 etc...

--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk/
Owain

"Gnube" wrote
| "Owain" wrote:
| But women are different! They can understand knitting patterns.
| We've only got their word for it that they came out right haven't we?
| ;O)

You mean you have a suspicion that the hand-knitted tank-top Mrs Gnube
presented you with last birthday started out as a tea-cosy but she got the
tension wrong?

Owain

John Laird

See http://www.dilbert.com :-)

I remember that from the seventies when
IT departments and open plan offices were first introduced. :-))

You have brain-fade. "Seven Years of Highly Defective People" (an excellent
introduction to Dilbert with handwritten notes by Scott Adams) was published
in 1990, and if you dig around the web-site you'll find a history showing
early rejection letters dated 1988.

I used to work in cubicles (or pods). I think light dawned when it was
suggested that I relocate to the exact centre of a floor and simultaneously
move the computer equipment to a corner office. We swapped, and I spent
many a long hour gazing out at the traffic coming off the M8.

--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...
BigWallop

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Martin Angove wrote:

There are 11 types of people in the world. Those who don't understand
binary, those who do but don't get the joke, and those who get the joke.

Yep. Bob Eager has that as a sig at the mo.

Oddly I am wearing this tshirt today :

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/5aa9/

Working in a computing department it is scary how many people don't
understand it. I guess binary is so hidden from todays computer scientists
that they just don't need it

Maybe the OP ought to get one of these for his "student":

http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/lights/59e0/

Tell him he can't go home till he has worked out what the time is

Cheers,

Darren

Brilliant idea ! And when it arrives he'll be in the workshop for the rest
of that week. :-))

BigWallop

wrote:

What am I gonna' do with this guy ? :-))

Forget it, it's a wind up for sure.

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}

If only it was Gnube. If only it was.

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 16 Oct 03 08:14:28 GMT, dmc wrote:

Maybe the OP ought to get one of these for his "student":

http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/lights/59e0/

Hey thats wonderful I want one! The blue LED and brushed ali looks
super. Wonder if it lives of 120v via a wall wart, thus easyly
powerable via a suitable UK wall wart...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Gnube

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:44:20 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

You mean you have a suspicion that the hand-knitted tank-top Mrs Gnube
presented you with last birthday started out as a tea-cosy but she got the
tension wrong?

You may jest, but you're horribly closer than you could ever know -
anyway, returned her to the manufacturers many, many years ago
happily. (warranty job; didn't do what it said at the altar, and I
supposed that one of us would have to take the vows seriously, which
left the job to me)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}

BigWallop

wrote:

You mean you have a suspicion that the hand-knitted tank-top Mrs Gnube
presented you with last birthday started out as a tea-cosy but she got

the
tension wrong?

You may jest, but you're horribly closer than you could ever know -
anyway, returned her to the manufacturers many, many years ago
happily. (warranty job; didn't do what it said at the altar, and I
supposed that one of us would have to take the vows seriously, which
left the job to me)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}

As long as you kept the receipt. :-)) Can you change her for a newer model
if she was still under warranty ?

Gnube

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:11:00 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

As long as you kept the receipt. :-))

Well, I still got the bill to pay! But that's bloomin lawyers for you!
;O)

Can you change her for a newer model
if she was still under warranty ?

Lord I don't know, never went for another one, could not see the point
as it's a basic design flaw. Not as missed as I would have expected to
be honest. I've got a theory that Men and Women are two fundamentally
incompatible species anyway, despite all the hype to the contrary. As
for what ever I may be missing, (which everyone seems to feel obliged
to ask about eventually), I'd rather have a cuppa anyway; slightly
ridiculous business if you actually stop to think about it for more
than a few seconds! ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
BigWallop

"BigWallop" wrote in message
[...]

Many, Many Thank you's to everyone. I used most of your suggestions, and
very creative some of them were (Thanks Witchy), on getting the Binary
numbering system through to a moron. :-))

I sat with him for two and a bit hours today, just him and I, and we went
over it to see where the problem was. He was thinking of the switches on
the detector heads as decimal right enough, as this is the way they are
marked by the makers. So I started him on the very basics of the system
again to see how he would react. He then told me that he'd never even heard
of the Binary way of counting, and that he'd always thought we were winding
him up on the settings of these detectors.

Once I'd shown him the basics and he'd done a few addition and subtraction
sums using it, it seemed to click into place no problem at all. Yipee !!!
Say's I, as you can imagine. I think, with your help, I've just gained
another brilliant security engineer for the team.

Brilliant people. Many, Many Thanks Again.

Chris Hodges

dmc wrote:

Maybe the OP ought to get one of these for his "student":

http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/lights/59e0/

Tell him he can't go home till he has worked out what the time is

I saw that a few weeks ago - it might well head for the christmas list,
but (getting back on topic) I'd quite like to build one - in software if
my electronics skills aren't up to it.

--
Chris
-----